Backyard Rink liners?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
All I can find is Freeman in Dorchester but the closest available size is 40'x100'. That would require me to shrink the rink by 2' wide and waste 30' of plastic length wise. Plastic is money.

BlueAndGold

Jan 27, 2004
Eastern Mass.
When I used to build a backyard rink, I would buy my liners at J. Freeman. I had very good luck with them. The plastic is designed to shrink wrap boats, but it makes for a fairly durable liner.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
When I used to build a backyard rink, I would buy my liners at J. Freeman. I had very good luck with them. The plastic is designed to shrink wrap boats, but it makes for a fairly durable liner.

No problem with Freeman other than the size of my rink adds up to a lot of waste. $308 for a 40'x100' liner which is what I'd have to buy there for my 70' rink.

BlueAndGold

Jan 27, 2004
Eastern Mass.
I hear you. My rink was originally 32' x 64' and they had a liner that was 36' x 70'. The length was long enough of course but it could have been a little wider. So I cut a foot off the width of the rink to 31'. In other words, I sized my rink to the J. Freeman liner. You might have have to do the same if you want to use their 36' x 70' liner, which is $194, a big price difference. But like a lot of things, bigger is better when it comes to hockey rinks.

I did try the common sheet plastic that you can get at Home Depot in large rolls. But the plastic is junk and is prone to tears and holes. That is why I went with J. Freeman liners.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I hear you. My rink was originally 32' x 64' and they had a liner that was 36' x 70'. The length was long enough of course but it could have been a little wider. So I cut a foot off the width of the rink to 31'. In other words, I sized my rink to the J. Freeman liner. You might have have to do the same if you want to use their 36' x 70' liner, which is $194, a big price difference. But like a lot of things, bigger is better when it comes to hockey rinks.

I did try the common sheet plastic that you can get at Home Depot in large rolls. But the plastic is junk and is prone to tears and holes. That is why I went with J. Freeman liners.

Yuh,I want to avoid any more shrinkage and may just suck it up for the extra $194.

hooked

Jul 6, 2005
I don't know how you can do 40' wide. I've been using the 40' x 100' rolls from Home Depot for the past few winters. The 6 mil roll was ~$165.

I'm trying to get my second season out of last year's liner. I'm in the filling process and noticed a couple small leaks that should be OK if it ever freezes.

36'x88'

pictures are from the year the B's won the cup. That was a good winter...

rink05.jpg

rink08.jpg

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
I don't know how you can do 40' wide. I've been using the 40' x 100' rolls from Home Depot for the past few winters. The 6 mil roll was ~$165.

That's what I used too. Held up nice throughout the winter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad