Backwards speed/agility

Status
Not open for further replies.

glimradnor

Oct 12, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Just wondering, after about 13 years away from hockey, I am back playing. I started as a winger and was doing fairly well, but I recently got shifted to defense. I don't have any issues with playing D, I actually like it and that's what I played when I was a kid.

The only issue is that I realize my backwards skating isn't quite where I would like it to be. I can do really well at the other aspects of defending. I'm fast skating forwards, am pretty good positionally and specialize in clearing the front of the net. However, I'm not good one 1-on-1s because of my limited agility/speed whilst skating backwards.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can work on this to become a more complete player?
On-ice ideas or Off-ice training ideas are both welcome.

Thanks in advance.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Practise otherwise,

Do what I do, be a stay at home Dman and when its a one-on-one, eye an eye on where the foward has the puck then try and snatch it skating by him, it works all the time for me, but im a LW.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Practice is the only thing you can do to improve. Just go to a public skating session (preferably one during the day on a weekday when hardly anyone is there) and just skate backwards around all of the circles.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
one thing i always taught when coaching is to do the five circle drill, i dont know that youre familiar with it. start on the right circle then the left, then the middle circle, then far left then finish on the right. if you really want to work on your defensive skating, you have to work on your lateral mobility and transitions, not just straight backwards. do this drill always facing the far end of the rink, never spinning around. keep your shoulders square to the far boards, get one hand off the stick and transition to backwards at the top of the circle, and back forwards at the bottom of the circle. switch circles and do the whole rink. if you only have half the rink do two circles back and forth. never let yourself turn the wrong way, if you do this right you have to work on your transitions to both sides, not the side you favor. this makes a huge difference in one on one defending. if you have to turn one way all the time when keeping up with a forward beating you wide....youre screwed. always stay on the outside of the circle doing the drill to work on your lateral mobility. if you think this helps, i may have some others that also help.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
I'v e got the same problem. But mY D partner asked me once " do you ever walk or run backwards?". I said no.
He said "Then don't expect to be comfotable skating backwards" so I've been running up hill backward the past two weeks ( i've only been on ice twice since then) but it seem to help balance and comfort wise. :dunno:

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Keetz said:
I'v e got the same problem. But mY D partner asked me once " do you ever walk or run backwards?". I said no.
He said "Then don't expect to be comfotable skating backwards" so I've been running up hill backward the past two weeks ( i've only been on ice twice since then) but it seem to help balance and comfort wise. :dunno:
That's actually a good idea, i'll have to try that.

glimradnor

Oct 12, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
bleedgreen said:
one thing i always taught when coaching is to do the five circle drill, i dont know that youre familiar with it. start on the right circle then the left, then the middle circle, then far left then finish on the right. if you really want to work on your defensive skating, you have to work on your lateral mobility and transitions, not just straight backwards. do this drill always facing the far end of the rink, never spinning around. keep your shoulders square to the far boards, get one hand off the stick and transition to backwards at the top of the circle, and back forwards at the bottom of the circle. switch circles and do the whole rink. if you only have half the rink do two circles back and forth. never let yourself turn the wrong way, if you do this right you have to work on your transitions to both sides, not the side you favor. this makes a huge difference in one on one defending. if you have to turn one way all the time when keeping up with a forward beating you wide....youre screwed. always stay on the outside of the circle doing the drill to work on your lateral mobility. if you think this helps, i may have some others that also help.

The five circle drill is a beauty, but I never have that much open ice to myself. Too much kids at the local rink at any given time. At least I get to get some scrimmaging in when they go home.

I guess practise will make perfect...or at least more competant.

glimradnor

Oct 12, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Keetz said:

Very true...that makes a lot of sense. I did used to run backwards a fair bit training in football. With all the snow outside snow in Edmonton, I may be limited to the eliptical trainer though...

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
If you have a gym membership, try the elliptical machine pedaling backwards, but try not to hold on to the bars and keep your balance. If you can do this, the make the resistance and the height higher. It definitely helps me, and it's easy on the joints. That's essential for an old timer like myself. LOL

Also, try not to make the same mistake a lot of people make of leaning forward too far when skating backwards.

The five-circle drill is great, although at a public session it's tough to get all that rink space to yourself. One thing I do when I go to a public session is that I dress in my gear, minus the helmet and shoulder pads. This way, I am less inhibited about falling or losing balance. Like you, I had been out of the game for about 10 years. I had also put on a considerable amount of weight in that time. When I started up again last year, I didn't feel nearly as comfortable on skates as I used to.

As I started dropping weight and getting more comfortable on skates again, I started wearing my equipment to public sessions. I would sometimes get some weird looks from people, especially the pimply faced punk who works security on the ice who's the hot-shot skater. Who cares? I'm there for my benefit and not theirs.

Right now, I'm working on stopping with one leg (outside edge). Not easy, but I need to correct a bad habit of relying more on my outside leg (inside edge) when stopping. It's been a lot more helpful doing this with my gear on.

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
Taking a power skating course at a local arena is what did it for me. These days, my backwards skating is as good if not better than skating forward. Well mainly because the last few years I've been playing goal.

two out of three*

One thing that helped my speed/agility a lot was when I dropped the "c-cuts." I was taught "c-cuts" for a long time, but somebody told me not to do those, and its helped me a lot. Now I just crossover.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
TiesRLikeWins4Us said:
One thing that helped my speed/agility a lot was when I dropped the "c-cuts." I was taught "c-cuts" for a long time, but somebody told me not to do those, and its helped me a lot. Now I just crossover.
I am also working on my terrible(non existent) backwards skating. I have been doing the C cuts to help develop it. I guess I should stop?

two out of three*

Dan Galvin said:
I am also working on my terrible(non existent) backwards skating. I have been doing the C cuts to help develop it. I guess I should stop?

It helped for me. Practice those russian circles (skating around the circles) backwards, and just moving your feet. Chop chop chop, just crossover as fast as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad