Backwards Crossovers help

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Backwards swizzles. Then offset them. Make sure your stance is good- you need to be practically sitting. Then bring your outside foot in front like you would a normal crossover.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
i don't really have much to add, as i'm horrible at instruction...especially via the internet. but i will add the 'durr' pointer that...don't reverse your feet from a forwards crossover. i've seen this, and while hilarious...it's entirely ineffective. i'm not sure how to explain it other than: don't put your other foot behind the weight bearing foot. it will make you look like a fool and then fall over. lol.

the edge control lesson posted actually looks like a very solid place to start.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Yep, backwards edge controls drills worked for me. Especially the one foot outside edge ones. It wasn't until I got comfortable going on one foot backwards that the crossovers got good.

Holy Jokinen

Mar 4, 2007
Tampa
As others have said, edge control is big.

Otherwise, keep your knees bent, lower your center of gravity, and use your weight to your advantage by shifting it in the direction you want to go.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
It may help to also think cross under while executing them. Both feet need to do the pushing. Good luck!!

trtaylor

May 5, 2010
This is what I did to learn:
  1. Face the boards, hold on and get yourself into a low, static cross under position. Really extend the 'under' leg.
  2. Repeat this a few times, in both directions.
  3. Next, turn yourself 90 degrees, move out 3 feet or so way from the boards and do a strong backwards crossunder towards the boards.
  4. Repeat this a few times in both directions.
  5. Move to a circle and try to do backwards crossunders around the circle.
  6. Go back to working along the boards, as necessary.
  7. Keep practicing. Some guys say they are easy, but I found them hard to learn.
And like stated above, you need to get really low to do them well.

Waltah*

OP ive been watching videos on this because im having difficulty as well. i can skate backwards just fine, just cant grasp the concept of the reverse crossover. i can forward crossover no problem. let me know what ends up helping you out.

Waltah*

this seems to make the most sense, even though the video is cheesy. i just need to go out and try these drills.

Analyzer*

Maybe it's just me, but once you get it, you'll just do it naturally and not even know how.

My only tip is to practice in your shoes first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad