backward crossovers

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
How comfortable are you going backwards in general? For me, backwards crossovers didn't get really good until I was comfortable going backwards on one foot. That's where you should start - work on backwards one-foot glides, then one-foot backwards inside edges, and one-foot backwards outside edges. Lotsa good drills and tips in these two videos:

Try to force yourself to spend half your practice skating time going backwards, and it will become natural in no time. You need to get yourself to the point where you can skate backwards without thinking "hey, I'm going backwards now", and then crossovers will be just as easy as doing them forwards.

Have fun!! :)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Great advice ^

I found that I learned how to do them while on roller skates because compared to ice, pavement and the wheels are more grippy; allowing me to be more stable going backwards on one foot and such.

jwitz04

Jan 18, 2011
definitely practice in roller hockey if you can. Ive always skated a ton of roller and its made me a great skater for ice

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I am reasonly proficcient at this now even though I've only skated for about 4 months...

practice practice practice...

I find that thinking in the term of cross-under makes the most difference, and taking defencive shifts most often will be the best application to force you to learn fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->