Speculation: Backup Goaltender

who would you be willing to trade for Georgiev?

• Total voters

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
@ Nash, @ Dallas, Sens, Panthers. Other than Sens, first 4 not so easy IMO. Need some "maturity" returning from the break. We'll see if they up for it.

Dallas and Florida are just in playoff spots.

Nashville is 11th in the West and is a very beatable team.

GAME # 5 & 6 are the Rangers and Ducks.

4 out of 6 games against non playoff teams is not a difficult schedule at all.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dallas and Florida are just in playoff spots.

Nashville is 11th in the West and is a very beatable team.

GAME # 5 & 6 are the Rangers and Ducks.

4 out of 6 games against non playoff teams is not a difficult schedule at all.

I dont think Nashville is going to be an easy game. We'll see when we find out which Leaf team shows up and which team wants it more. They should beat Rags and Ducks.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don’t think we needs backup goalie anymore, I think we need a goalie who can take the lead.
Andersen has 1 more year left, I don’t know how much money he wants or how long. I don’t think I’d want to pay 8 - 10 mil for 5-7 years for a guy starting the contract at 32.

This team needs to be proactive.
Remake the D and consider long term goaltending.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This is the key to whether we can be a long-term contender. Re-signing Andersen would be a big mistake given the kind of contract he'll ask for, so we need options.

My preference is to find a 1A/1B situation, sort of like Boston. It gives the goaltenders a reasonable work load, it protects you against severe slumps like we see now, and it means we avoid having too much term and money tied up in one goaltender.

That's part of why Georgiev is enticing. I think he could be part of such a tandem as he's a quite decent goaltender. If we look beyond the ridiculous ask, some Rangers fans I trust like his game more than they did Talbot or Raanta. If the price ends up around Bracco, I would pull the trigger. We get a good backup, we can keep him on after Andersen leaves, and we get a prime candidate to be part of our goaltending solution moving forward.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don’t think we needs backup goalie anymore, I think we need a goalie who can take the lead.
Andersen has 1 more year left, I don’t know how much money he wants or how long. I don’t think I’d want to pay 8 - 10 mil for 5-7 years for a guy starting the contract at 32.

Easier said than done when 4 players are chewing up 1/2 your cap. The answer is we need some of our players to come up from within. Need to hit on Woll and/or Scott. Korshkov and Robertson need to eventually make it to the big club. Sandin looks like he will make it which will help. Lily making it will be huge.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Easier said than done when 4 players are chewing up 1/2 your cap. The answer is we need some of our players to come up from within. Need to hit on Woll and/or Scott. Korshkov and Robertson need to eventually make it to the big club. Sandin looks like he will make it which will help. Lily making it will be huge.
That's the key, the only way the Dubas contract logic works is a steady diet of cheap young prospects augmenting the lineup. This year we've hit on a couple and it has mitigated the top heavy contract considerations.

Reactions: ToneDog

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We don't have Wayne Gretzky to trade for a back-up goaltender unfortunately.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That's the key, the only way the Dubas contract logic works is a steady diet of cheap young prospects augmenting the lineup. This year we've hit on a couple and it has mitigated the top heavy contract considerations.

Easier to hit on bottom 6 than top 6. That is where we fall short. Gotta find a Point outside the first round.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He'd be over 35 and probably would block the trade to a tank team.

I'd do Johnsson but not straight up.

Johnsson for Georgiev and 2 * 7th. round picks.
You are probably right but Rangers want a young active NHLer like AJ plus a prospect and a pick. I can't see this one going down unless we get really desperate. Goalies are a huge hit and miss especially young ones.

EC

Nov 10, 2016
If the Leafs were to trade one of their established wingers (Kapanen/Johnsson/Kerfoot...I know Kerfoot is a centre but he should be a winger) it will be for a goalie that has the upside to usurp the thrown. Georgiev/Demko/Saros kind of goalie.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
How much is a guy like Georgiev going to cost next year. he is a RFA with arbitration rights. He has pretty much equaled and outplayed Henrik last 2 seasons. Can you afford what he will cost next yr?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->