Backstrom vs Tavares (read op)

Who’ll have the better career when all is said and done?

• Total voters

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Tavares, only because his and won’t always be brought up with who he played with, people will respect a player who hasn’t been strapped to Ovi for his career (not saying I agree) Over Someone who has been remember for boosting his line linemates

Anahome

Oct 5, 2019
Backstrom has a Stanley Cup. He did for his team more than Tavares for Islanders. At this moment my vote is Backstrom.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
similar career ppgs

one has a stanley cup and like 75 more playoff points up to this point

if either manages to win an individual trophy that will completely decide the answer though

One feeds the greatest goal scorer ever....the other made players like Moulson and Paranteau into big time scorers.

Tavares has definitely been a more valuable player with what he's done and who he's had to work with for most of his career. I guess 'better career' isn't really an objective question but i'd take him over Backstrom pretty easily.

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
I'm leaning towards Backstrom atm. If Tavares pulls a cup with TOR, that could easily change my vote.

Should I consider who they played with? .... Is it an outsider or an insider pov? If I'd have to choose for myself, I'd impersonate Backstrom (a cup, playing with Ovechkin). But from an outsider's perspective, I think Tavares had it way harder and I love the fact that the guy embraces the pressure of TOR in his (late)prime. I root for him changing my opinion.

My feeling is Backstrom has accomplished most of what he'll be remembered for, whether Tavares stil has a lot of upside (can't believe I'm saying such a thing) in leading TOR.

Gonna have to wait until "all is said and done" because there's still too much to come that can change my mind.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
One feeds the greatest goal scorer ever....the other made players like Moulson and Paranteau into big time scorers.

Tavares has definitely been a more valuable player with what he's done and who he's had to work with for most of his career. I guess 'better career' isn't really an objective question but i'd take him over Backstrom pretty easily.

And yet Tavares goes to a stacked offense and produces a whopping 4 more points than he did the year before.

The Cup is what separates them, PPG numbers are similar but Tavares lacks any sort of playoff resume.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
And yet Tavares goes to a stacked offense and produces a whopping 4 more points than he did the year before.

The Cup is what separates them, PPG numbers are similar but Tavares lacks any sort of playoff resume.

Whenever people compare "resumes" with Tavares, they always leave out the teams they played on.

Washington was one of the most dominant teams in the last decade+. Backstrom played most of his career with the best goal scorer OF ALL TIME on his wing. The PP numbers are just...mindnumbing.

Do you think Backstrom hits the same numbers with PA Parenteau and Josh Bailey on his wing for the last decade?

Anyone who has played hockey knows that having weak linemates means playing a different style of hockey...the passes aren't as crisp, the chances you create are capitalized on less, etc.

I don't blame John Tavares for not winning us a cup with the absolute crap we gave him to play with.

One thing is for sure - after the wonderkids, the best forwards of the last decade are
  • Kane
  • Giroux
  • Stamkos
  • Backstrom
  • Tavares.
Put them in whatever order makes you sleep better at night. Only one of those players had 3rd and 4th liners on his wing for the majority of their careers, though.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
If I had to pick right now, my vote would be Backstrom
However the way the Leafs are built going forward, it could change pretty fast
Backstrom has the better production when it matters the most!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I voted Backstrom, who has been a 100 pt player who is also a stanley cup winner with 106 career play off points.

Tavares' career high is 88 pts, with zero stanley cups, and he has only amassed 27 career playoff pts. Not really close to me. Backstrom.

Reactions: mm11

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Whenever people compare "resumes" with Tavares, they always leave out the teams they played on.

Washington was one of the most dominant teams in the last decade+. Backstrom played most of his career with the best goal scorer OF ALL TIME on his wing. The PP numbers are just...mindnumbing.

Do you think Backstrom hits the same numbers with PA Parenteau and Josh Bailey on his wing for the last decade?

Anyone who has played hockey knows that having weak linemates means playing a different style of hockey...the passes aren't as crisp, the chances you create are capitalized on less, etc.

I don't blame John Tavares for not winning us a cup with the absolute crap we gave him to play with.

One thing is for sure - after the wonderkids, the best forwards of the last decade are
  • Kane
  • Giroux
  • Stamkos
  • Backstrom
  • Tavares.
Put them in whatever order makes you sleep better at night. Only one of those players had 3rd and 4th liners on his wing for the majority of their careers, though.

You'd think John Tavares would break those numbers with 94 point Mitch Marner on his team and a stacked PP. He didn't even top his best, anyone who knows hockey knows having better linemates should make you produce more no? I'll re-iterate the point, he scored a whopping 4 more points going from Josh Bailey to Mitch Marner.

And Tavares only played with Parenteau for 2 years... why do people make it seem like he played with him his whole career? Backstrom has had seasons where he's had to carry Washington's offense but because he's not a 1st overall pick you don't hear about it everytime he has the slightest woe-is-me issue.

That's not even bringing up how big a floater Tavares is compared to Backstrom the entirety of their careers.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Winter Soldier

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

thats not the question

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You'd think John Tavares would break those numbers with 94 point Mitch Marner on his team and a stacked PP. He didn't even top his best, anyone who knows hockey knows having better linemates should make you produce more no? I'll re-iterate the point, he scored a whopping 4 more points going from Josh Bailey to Mitch Marner.

And Tavares only played with Parenteau for 2 years... why do people make it seem like he played with him his whole career? Backstrom has had seasons where he's had to carry Washington's offense but because he's not a 1st overall pick you don't hear about it everytime he has the slightest woe-is-me issue.

That's not even bringing up how big a floater Tavares is compared to Backstrom the entirety of their careers.

Tavares produced way more at ES with Marner. What stopped his numbers from being much better than the year before was that he was no longer the focal point of the PP and was limited in PP assists. And the PP was stacked with talent but the 1st unit played considerably less than most due to Babs and the team as a whole only scored an average number of PP goals due to their lack of PP opportunities. Backstrom has had both an elite linemate and has been the QB of an elite PP for a significant amount of his career, and his numbers have gone down since he's been away from Ovechkin. His scoring is also only similar because of how he racks of secondaries on the PP. Backstrom is better defensively, but I think he's clearly worse offensively.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Too close to call right now. Ultimately I think Tavares is the better player and Backstrom has never proven he can carry a line by himself away from Ovechkin so I'll lean Tavares. Backstrom is better defensively though.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
thats not the question

Sure it is. People have this weird habit on here of over-analyzing semantics. "Who has had the better career?" is really no different than "Who has been the better player over their career?", but if you ask the former, people on here will invariably focus solely on accomplishments instead of actual quality of play

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sure it is. People have this weird habit on here of over-analyzing semantics. "Who has had the better career?" is really no different than "Who has been the better player over their career?", but if you ask the former, people on here will invariably focus solely on accomplishments instead of actual quality of play

those are two different questions

winning awards and stanley cups are what put players who are fringe HOF players in the HOF...

in 20 years nobody is going to be talking about PA Parenteau and Matt Moulson being JTs linemates

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Of course they're different questions... what kind of thinking is this? It's not semantic's it's literally asking something different altogether :facepalm:

Tell me, who has had the better career, Jonathan Toews or Steven Stamkos? Now, who has been the better player over their career? If your answer isn't the same then you're wrong.

Quality of play? Backstrom has a higher career PPG, over 100 playoff points and a Cup. Ask Tavares to take the trade for his career and he takes it every time.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
those are two different questions

winning awards and stanley cups are what put players who are fringe HOF players in the HOF...

in 20 years nobody is going to be talking about PA Parenteau and Matt Moulson being JTs linemates

Bingo, no one is going to care that he played with less and did nothing. I guess Tavares can pat himself on the back for it because he sure burned that bridge with the Islanders while Backstrom can look back and say he had a more productive career, played and produced in significantly more playoff games and has won. "Quality of play" :laugh:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Of course they're different questions... what kind of thinking is this? It's not semantic's it's literally asking something different altogether :facepalm:

Tell me, who has had the better career, Jonathan Toews or Steven Stamkos? Now, who has been the better player over their career? If your answer isn't the same then you're wrong.

Quality of play? Backstrom has a higher career PPG, over 100 playoff points and a Cup. Ask Tavares to take the trade for his career and he takes it every time.

It's really not. Because why the hell does anyone care about the question if that's the case? When you ask for better career you're asking for better player over the course of their careers, instead of say peak or right now. That's not to say accomplishments aren't a part of that, but focusing solely on them is weak and lazy analysis. You can argue that no one is going to focus on teammates in 20 years, but that's just appealing to future lazy analysis. Who cares what they think.

Last edited:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

I made a thread about Tavares - I listed his top scoring linemates...you want to hear something sad? Parenteau was right near the top. You can try to find it if you don't believe me, it was an article at one point.

Why would you expect Tavares to hit new highs at his current age? Is Backstrom still hitting 100+? John is getting old, and he just finished as a runner up for the Rocket despite being in his 30's. These guys all have their prime years in their early 20's for the most part. My argument is you put John with Ovechkin (and Carlson, and Semin, etc) at 22 and do you really think he doesn't break 90 points, when he was putting close to that up with a much worse supporting squad?

It seems like you have personal issues with Tavares - the floater thing is just a nice drive by shot at him.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Bingo, no one is going to care that he played with less and did nothing. I guess Tavares can pat himself on the back for it because he sure burned that bridge with the Islanders while Backstrom can look back and say he had a more productive career, played and produced in significantly more playoff games and has won. "Quality of play" :laugh:

It's pretty clear you aren't a hockey guy, and more of just a Lightning guy. People do bring up things like this when discussing players from the past. There are many great "what-if" scenarios brought up around my living room while we watch the games.

We get it - you don't like JT. Doesn't change the fact that he's right there beside Stamkos and Backstrom.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I made a thread about Tavares - I listed his top scoring linemates...you want to hear something sad? Parenteau was right near the top. You can try to find it if you don't believe me, it was an article at one point.

Why would you expect Tavares to hit new highs at his current age? Is Backstrom still hitting 100+? John is getting old, and he just finished as a runner up for the Rocket despite being in his 30's. These guys all have their prime years in their early 20's for the most part. My argument is you put John with Ovechkin (and Carlson, and Semin, etc) at 22 and do you really think he doesn't break 90 points, when he was putting close to that up with a much worse supporting squad?

It seems like you have personal issues with Tavares - the floater thing is just a nice drive by shot at him.

Seems like you're taking it personal because I'm bursting your little bubble. Any Islander fan can tell you he was not the best defensive player and definitely not on Backstrom's level in that regards, it's only a "drive by shot" because you don't want to accept it or have this perception of Tavares that's not true.

Btw I just did a 5min search on Tavare's linemates, Parenteau has never once came 2nd to Tavares in team scoring, his most consistent linemates that come behind him are Okposo and Bailey. Dude you just keep making up lies.

You'd think of all the priase you have for Tavares and him in your avatar you'd know that he's not 30 yet and just finished his most recent season at 28 years old.......... but hey gotta spin that argument anyway you can right ;) You just keep posting lies, this is so funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->