Backstrom vs Pettersson

Who do you take as your top C for a 7 game series?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Option 4. Very high on/excited about Pettersson. I was high on him before he started this season, and it's only gotten better. If he keeps this up he might rival the best players in the league throughout his career, who knows.

But he's young and small and Backstrom has more experience so i pick the boring, safer pick for playoffs.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Backstrom had 23 points in 20 games last playoffs, and has 34 points in 29 games so far this season. All while playing great at both ends of the ice.

Obviously Nick is on the backend of his career while EP is on the upswing, but you gotta go with the one with over 800 more games of RS and 116 games of PO experience

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I honestly think they perform about equal in a series if it started today.

Going with Pettersson because he’s more of a game breaker, I can see him being very clutch in playoff situations.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I take Backstrom for the rest of his contract and at least a year beyond that. No knock on Pettersson, but Backstrom has consistently been a top 5-10 center in the league for 10+ years. Elite offensively + all-around. Pettersson is just not there yet and the playoffs are an entirely different beast.

Alfapet

Oct 26, 2007
Got to be kidding me. NB continues to be one of the most underrated players on HF. One of the best centers for 10+ years, a recent SC-champion, and now compared with a rookie (I love EP, don't get me wrong).

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
really really dumb poll options

giphy.gif

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd take Backstrom right now. What Pettersson is doing is amazing, but in a tough 7 game series, the opposing team would be absolutely zeroed in on eliminating Pettersson as a factor. Even if that means "Matheson-ing" him. For the time being, i have more faith in Backstrom's ability to overcome that sort of intense physical and defensive focus on him. Especially considering, he just won the Stanley Cup.

But i'm not sure it's going to be long before this one flips for me, toward taking Pettersson.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I like the potential for Pettersson ending up the better player, as I think he can be a better goalscorer and similar playmaker, but while he's already really good right now, he's still raw and slight and can be pushed around a bit. He's not a top 15 center like Backstrom yet, nor does he have the experience. You have to tske Backstrom today.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Game breaking offense is SO important in the playoffs, but so are experience and defensive ability.

Backstrom for now, EP after a couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad