Backstrom or Toews

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
It will be interesting to see if Backstrom can transition to the smaller ice surface and whether his play making suffers from the reduced room and higher speed/intensity of the NHL.

i think he will translate good cause he doesn't have the best speed so a smaller ice surface would help, i would like to see more intensity but Hanlon can get that out of him.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
I think Backstrom is extremely well rounded as well. His offensive ceiling is much higher. At least after watching the WJC's.

You could argue it is higher but i really don't think it's much higher than Toews'.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
It depends on the team. Even though I think Toews is a better all around player. I think Backstrom is a better fit for the Caps (not saying Toews would be a bad fit).

toastman344*

Well If u look at Backstrom...& factor in that he'll probably get a lot of ice time with Ovie & Semin next year ...then he'll probably put up more points...

But if u look at the two in head to head competition...Toews was better , not to mention much more clutch in WJHC...for sure..

In WC's it wasn't even close...even with limited ice time on the fourth line with J. Staal and Armstrong ( and Colby did nothing...save one lucky goal let's face it ) Toews was awesome...He was great on the pp...He set up 5 ( too lazy to check stats but thats my recollection ) & even scored two big goals for Canada...only his youth kept him on Canada's fourth line ...BUT ...His play screamed out...put me on the #1 or #2 line...

I like Backstrom...I really do...BUT...IT'S TOEWS BY A COUNTRY MILE !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Well If u look at Backstrom...& factor in that he'll probably get a lot of ice time with Ovie & Semin next year ...then he'll probably put up more points...

But if u look at the two in head to head competition...Toews was better , not to mention much more clutch in WJHC...for sure..

In WC's it wasn't even close...even with limited ice time on the fourth line with J. Staal and Armstrong ( and Colby did nothing...save one lucky goal let's face it ) Toews was awesome...He was great on the pp...He set up & even scored two big goals for Canada...only his youth kept him on Canada's fourth line ...BUT ...His play screamed out...put me on the #1 or #2 line...

I like Backstrom...I really do...BUT...IT'S TOEWS BY A COUNTRY MILE !!!!

Agreed. Don't know why some posters even question it anymore. Go back to your tapes and watch again. Toews is the more complete and heady player. His offensive skills are equal to Backstroms and his awareness on the ice is second to none. When your barking direction to your NHL teammates on the ice you know he has arrived.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
Agreed. Don't know why some posters even question it anymore. Go back to your tapes and watch again. Toews is the more complete and heady player. His offensive skills are equal to Backstroms and his awareness on the ice is second to none. When your barking direction to your NHL teammates on the ice you know he has arrived.

toews is built for the nhl...the kid is ready.

Neblod Zin

Oct 3, 2006
Finland
toews is built for the nhl...the kid is ready.

For what I've seen, Bäckström by far. Toews is more flashy for sure, Bäcström does the little things better. Bäckström also seems to be more suited for the emotional part of the game.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
For what I've seen, Bäckström by far. Toews is more flashy for sure, Bäcström does the little things better. Bäckström also seems to be more suited for the emotional part of the game.

Is this a joke? I think you may have the two mixed up. Toews is a born leader and does everything needed to win.

knifer

Sep 4, 2006
yk

Um, Backstrom will most likely be the flashier NHL player , putting up lots of points. Toews is the emotional leader and i think this is why hes been great everywhere in his young hockey career.

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005

say what?

Foligno#71

Sep 10, 2006
Gothenburg
www.hockeysverige.se
I always take a lot of heat in my home country for saying it, but I would take Toews in a heartbeat. I see him as the type of player who'll be the center piece when they turn things around in Chicago. He is a future captain and is probably going to be considered the most complete player in the game when his time is due.

Bäckström... Surely, he is going to have a great career. I see him turning into a Adam Oates type of player, a great playmaker who'll hopefully be to Ovechkin what Oates was to Hull and Neely. But I just don't see any leadership qualities in him. Not the kind of killer instinct that made Peter Forsberg what he once was.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002

If you switch their names around in every single instance, then this post would reflect reality.

Coffee and 7's*

Honestly I can't understand the hype about Backstrom, I've seen him quite a bit and he's quite slow, quite weak and doesn't shoot well - he has good vision but that isn't enough...

Toews by a mile.

all those negative things can be worked on pretty easily.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
It's great how most Chicago fans had Toews @ #1 last year and most Caps fans had Backstrom @ #1.

Both players have the intangibles. Leadership, savvy, clutch play. (Backstrom was solid in the SEL playoffs and was leading the league in scoring until the WJC/injury)

It's worth noting that at the WC Toews had much more around him and Backstrom is a pass-first type of player.

I doubt either Washington or Chicago will regret their picks. Both players fit their teams' needs like a glove.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad