Backstrom just reached 600 assists

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The direction the league is heading in, and still being "only" 30, he might reach 1000 points before he reaches 1000 games. And a lot more if he can stay healthy, perhaps even get in the vicinity of Sundin's point totals.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its simply unfair how underrated he is in the league. I wonder whether he personally cares about it though, that many see him as "some passer" while he is WAY more than that.

Im very happy that OV decided to give the cup to him first. That was nice and very deserved.

Its worth noting that Backstrom prefers being out of the spotlight. Trotz thought it was unfair and made a point of talking him up. Backstrom does not want to play in the all star game and is as quiet as Ov is loud.

That said, he is a first ballot hall of famer.

Reactions: felixpettersson

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
Passing machine
ebc4871d-07dd-4cfe-8fdc-0a4ee794fdb2.gif
Filthy sauce!!

Reactions: Facifer and Alex K

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
It's puzzling how little attention he gets when you put his stats up against his peers. Been an elite 2-way C for a decade and couldn't even get an all-star nod let alone Selke consideration.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Filthy sauce!!
Yup, I think Bäckström's amazing saucer passes, paired with his excellent ice vision, is what made him the elite playmaker he is. I think he's snap shot is pretty good too, but I guess you don't take too many shots playing with guys like Ovechkin.
It's puzzling how little attention he gets when you put his stats up against his peers. Been an elite 2-way C for a decade and couldn't even get an all-star nod let alone Selke consideration.
I remember an article maybe 1-2 years ago that compared Bäckström's production and overall performance with other players in other sports, coming to the conclusion he's been criminally under the radar during his entire career basically. Other peers in his quality range all had prizes or All-Star team selections. Not Bäckström.

But I think he likes it that way anyway. Who the heck would want to play in the All-Star games anyway, instead of having a free weekend off?

On another note, he's been amazing playing for Sweden as well. You always notice he's on the team, both on the ice and on the scoreboard.

He was voted the most underrated player in the league by NHLPA in the 17/18 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: felixpettersson

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden

Yes, he has played good enough two way game to at least be nominated a few times, let alone win one. Trotz was early in his tenure with team marveling about how smart Backstrom was with both and without the puck.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
And only second to Crosby in assists per game at .73 vs. .79. (Really third to Getzlaf if you wanna nitpick by .002%)
Just like Ovie; he barely misses a game. I think his longest time out was when Borque hit him in the head with a drive by elbow.

The Tank

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
A wonderful playmaker with a humble attitude. Hopefully he will assist to a lot more goals before he retires.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
most underrated player in the league. ridiculous how he get's no recognition from media.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad