Backstrom Era Underway

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Flames Happy with Backstrom Start

"I think we're gonna have to call it the Lapointe Era" - J. Iginla

CALGARY(CP): The Flames weren't winners last night against a very tough Buffalo Sabres squad, they tied 2-2, but the smiles were evident post game in the Flames dressing room. "You guys keep calling it the Backstrom Era, but I think we're gonna have to call it the Lapointe Era" quipped Captain Jarome Iginla, who must be happy that he finally scored after a long drought, in reference to Martin Lapointes fine performance and game tying goal, scored in the dying seconds of the 2nd period.

"I'm happy with the performance of all the new guys" said coach Brent Sutter, who has already endured calls for his head after the teams poor performance since taking over as head coach. "I've not changed the system or the style, I've kept the lines as they are," the coach said in his defense, "and I'm happy that Mr. Kershaw didn't dismantle the team at the deadline. We are a serious Cup contender despite our recent poor form."

Mr. Sutter seems to have motivated the troops last night, the first contest in Flames colours for Stu Barnes, Niklas Backstrom, Lapointe and Milan Jurcina. Commenting on Backstrom, who stopped 21 of 23 shots, "He played really well, but I must credit our defense, they kept the shots to the outside, and they kept the shots down and I thought Milan fit in well with Zybanek [Michalek]."

Ryan Miller stood out for the Sabres, stopping 36 shots, including everything the Flames could throw at them on seven power play opportunities.

NEWS & NOTES:
Wojtek Wolski had three shots, four hits, in a season high 27 minutes of ice time....Rumours that the Flames having negotiated deals for Milan Hejduk, Dan Hamhuis and Francois Beauchimen in the hours before the deadline seem unfounded... The GM feels that the play of first year pros Devin Setoguchi, Colin Stuart, and Steve Downie has not yet warranted a rebuild....

A deal that exchanged Jarome Iginla for Predator Rick Nash was reported in Nashville but made little splash elsewhere.... Columbus Blue Jackets made a serious pitch for Steve Eminger and Michael Ryder at the deadline but fell apart when Detroit insisted on Eminger instead of Michalek in the Backstrom deal... Local media in Calgary was upset that Kershaw held onto Michael Ryder, with one blogger calling it "The worst piece of non-GM'ing we've seen in the history of this franchise, and that says a lot considering how many bad moves have been made"...

New utility player Aaron Johnson was a healthy scratch. He is still recovering from a second serious knee injury but is good to go if the coach calls for him.... David Hale is adamant that his public proclamation asking for more ice time or a trade hasn't hurt his reputation in the dressing room. Despite dressing for last nights contest, he and rookie David Moss found themselves glued to the bench for the entire contest...

The Flames head into a vital contest against Minnesota tonight... UP NEXT: @MIN, FLA, @VAN.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Flames Happy with Backstrom Start

Columbus Blue Jackets made a serious pitch for Steve Eminger and Michael Ryder at the deadline but fell apart when Detroit insisted on Eminger instead of Michalek in the Backstrom deal

Huh? We wanted Michalek but you essentially said no way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad