Backman

Johnz96*

I am a Detroit fan and am intrigued by Backstrom. Seems he is very much like Lidstrom at the same age.
I get to see his highlights and statistics but other than the WJC 2 years ago, never really get to see him in game action.
I heard he is considered one of the best defensemen in the league and his production last year indicates that but I noticed he usually only plays around 19 minutes a game. In North America, there is an average of 20 mins of ice-time per game available for defensemen, top ones get much more.
For those of you that to get to see him in game action, what do you think? Does he play on the Power Play and Shorthanded units? Does he play against the top lines?

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnz96*

Lidström? Hahaha.

Lidstrom wasn't really a highly regarded prospect coming out of Sweden. He had a good rookie year but nobody ever considered him becoming an elite defenseman in the league never mind a Norris trophy winner. It wasn't until the Wings won the Cup in 96 that he started becoming regarded as an elite NHL D-man and even then he was still not regarded as Detroit's best on D as Bowman allotted Konstantinov the most ice-time and Konstantinov was selected as a Norris finalists that year. He probably would have won some himself if it wasn't for the tragic accident.
I'm not saying that I am even hoping that Backman will ever be as good as Lidstrom but his scouting report and resume is identical at the same age.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Lidstrom wasn't really a highly regarded prospect coming out of Sweden. He had a good rookie year but nobody ever considered him becoming an elite defenseman in the league never mind a Norris trophy winner. It wasn't until the Wings won the Cup in 96 that he started becoming regarded as an elite NHL D-man and even then he was still not regarded as Detroit's best on D as Bowman allotted Konstantinov the most ice-time and Konstantinov was selected as a Norris finalists that year. He probably would have won some himself if it wasn't for the tragic accident.
I'm not saying that I am even hoping that Backman will ever be as good as Lidstrom but his scouting report and resume is identical at the same age.

At Bäckman's age, Nick put up 60 points in the NHL and had played a Canada Cup and World Championship :->

He's a nice well-rounded prospect, but nothing that screams top pairing perhaps. I think if he turns out a Carl Gunnarsson type that would be great.

Johnz96*

At Bäckman's age, Nick put up 60 points in the NHL and had played a Canada Cup and World Championship :->

He's a nice well-rounded prospect, but nothing that screams top pairing perhaps. I think if he turns out a Carl Gunnarsson type that would be great.

Nick was 21 when he started his rookie NHL season. Backman was 20 starting the current one.
Nick was considered a very smart, skilled, mobile, positionally sound defenseman with good reach who rarely made mistakes but may be too weak and skinny for the NHL and isn't physical at all so is Backman.
Do you watch Linkopings? I was hoping someone who does could answer some of my questions that I posted in the original post in this thread?

Last edited by a moderator:

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010
Mattias Bäckman has been struggling a bit at the start of the season. Last season he was one of the best D's in the league but so far this season he hasn't been able to live up to that. He's been throwing pucks away causing goals and his offense has been weak.

But the last couple of games he has really stepped up and played a solid defensive game and also starting to produce offensively. Hopefully he's found his game again and can keep improving.

Anchor Town*

Backman is up to 5+14=19 and is +23 (best in SHL). Will head to Grand Rapids next year. Where does he fit in as far as the Red Wings' future?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad