Backlund vs. Turris

Backlund or Turris

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Right now Backlund no doubt about it. Turris was better in his prime but he's fallen off quickly.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
they are comparable players but i feel confident in saying that. Turris in his prime was just a little better than Backlund. Im sure not every one agree on that though.

If we're talking both players in their prime, then it's easily Backlund. He was an absolute force a couple of years ago with him, Frolik, and Tkachuk as arguably the 2nd best defensive line in the league.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
If we're talking both players in their prime, then it's easily Backlund. He was an absolute force a couple of years ago with him, Frolik, and Tkachuk as arguably the 2nd best defensive line in the league.

Turris was a tier ahead of Backlund a few years ago. Both fell off a cliff, and both suck and have bad contracts now, but both play on shitty teams, too.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Easily actually. Backlund is clearly the better player now but Turris was a 1B on a playoff team for a while and was very good in crunch time.

Turris in his best years averaged ~56 points a season. Backlund averaged ~49 while being one of the best defensive centers in the league.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I suppose you can make an argument that Backlund's defensive game made up for how far behind he was offensively to Turris.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Backlund's teams have a grand total of 4 playoff wins in the 9-10 seasons he's been in the league.

Team that played Turris as a top 6 C made the ECF game 7.

Just sayin.

If Turris is scoring the 50-60 pts he's capable of playing top 6 minutes, him or Backlund isn't going to make that much of a difference. Backlund might be the superior player defensively, but if you have your top line or a defensive 3rd line that you can play the match-up game with, then it really doesn't matter a whole lot.

It all comes down to fit. If you already have #1 and #3 lines as more offensive lines, then Backlund is obviously the better fit.

But, i could see Turris being a pretty good fit on Calgary as the 2C, giving them 2 offensive lines, and then Backlund playing as the 3C on a defensive line.

Why don't Treliving make the call to find out ? :eyeroll:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I suppose Backlund by a little since his contract is a bit lighter and I'll take folks at their word that he's good defensively. But there is definitely a misconception going around that Turris is any different than he ever was. He's the same player as he was 4 years ago. He'd score 50 points this year if you played him 16-17 minutes a night, 2nd unit PP, with decent top-6 wingers. It's all he ever was. Play him even more than that with a Stone-caliber winger and he might do even better. Play him 13 mins with 4th liners and he'll do worse. But nothing in his game has changed. Preds just don't need him because we have better centers now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad