Backhand strength

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
Been playing for 21 years, have a heavy slapshot and a pretty good wrist/snap shot, looking to strengthen my backhand (particularly on ice) any good tips/ideas or workouts to do to strengthen the backhand?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
One adjustment I made a few weeks ago was to look at it more like a snapper instead of wrister. I noticed my backhand passes were harder than shots because I was trying so hard. Dropping my bottom hand's shoulder and skating into the shot, then smacking/shoveling the puck added a lot of power, rather than trying to do a wrister backwards.

esuhock22

Jan 24, 2011
One adjustment I made a few weeks ago was to look at it more like a snapper instead of wrister. I noticed my backhand passes were harder than shots because I was trying so hard. Dropping my bottom hand's shoulder and skating into the shot, then smacking/shoveling the puck added a lot of power, rather than trying to do a wrister backwards.

This. It helps a lot. And it does help to have a nice curve you are comfortable with on the backhand. I use Iginla and I"ve really gotten use to it and can go bar down in close a lot. It's a nice option when you can comfortably use your backhand.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
While I can't disagree with you there (I have Popeye forearms), you get WAY more power using your big muscles than your little ones. Forward momentum + explosive push from your legs + rotation from your core + using your shoulders and arms is a lot more power than stationary backhanded wristers. This is the type of shot I take when I'm coming in on the goalie with the puck and the defenseman forces me to the outside on my backhand and I want to get one on net. It's pretty unpredictable for the goalie and creates a good rebound.

But you're 100% right that you need forearm strength for those stationary backhanded shots which you should also practice. Say you're in the slot and the puck comes free way over on your backhand side. You skate over and reach but don't have time for a good shot, yet the goalie is down or even out of the crease. THAT'S where those shots come into play!

flyers10

Apr 12, 2011
AZ
I know for me that when I focus on bending my knees and getting lower I can drive into the shot and get a lot more on my backhands. Power from the legs. Like Jarick mentioned if standing still in the slot, having stronger forearms/wrists will help to quickly snap off a backhand. Practice both ways.

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
I know for me that when I focus on bending my knees and getting lower I can drive into the shot and get a lot more on my backhands. Power from the legs. Like Jarick mentioned if standing still in the slot, having stronger forearms/wrists will help to quickly snap off a backhand. Practice both ways.

A-lot of my backhands are along the walls and trying to clear the puck out of the zone (being a defenseman).

flyers10

Apr 12, 2011
AZ
A-lot of my backhands are along the walls and trying to clear the puck out of the zone (being a defenseman).

I hear ya. I play D occasionally and I still think pushing off your back foot to get some leg power in it can easily be done. You're already in a strong hockey position with bent knees so just drive off and send it out of the zone. Plus being lower will help to get the puck up to clear it high off the glass past the opposing team's point man. Just keeping doing repetition after repetition of sweeping backhands and mix in quick snap backhands. Just like a solid wrist shot or snap shot takes time to develop so will this. Most spend 95% on forehand shots/passes, so give it time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->