Speculation: Back up for Schneider

KidCanuck*

Don't know if this is new thread worthy as I have never started one and I'm sure it can be filtered into another thread and if so please move accordingly.

If Luongo gets moved and a goalie isn't coming back the other way, who do we try to get to fill the back up role?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Florida might have a goalie available if they want Markstrom to play in the NHL this season.
I think Scott Clemmensen would be a very good veteran backup. But he is signed for next season as well, so he will be moved in the off-season or Lack would play another year in the AHL.

Dan Ellis is another possibility. He has stated interest in backing up Schneider, and has some good stats in the AHL this year (.922 SV% in 18 games).

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I think these are our choices:

Dan Ellis
Christobal Huet
Auld (*puke*)
Brent Johnson

not a lot of options

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
how about Reimer?

Gardiner, Reimer, Bozak, Frattin, 1st
Luongo, Raymond, Ballard, 4th

Why would the leafs want Ballard and Raymond? They held very little value in trade, especially when the cap is coming down.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Why would the leafs want Ballard and Raymond? They held very little value in trade, especially when the cap is coming down.

well, Nonis was a big Raymond fan if i recall, and Ballard could swap for Gardiner, but yes, it's ambitious and they take on too much $

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I like Lack and think he will be a good addition to the team, in the future, but this season specifically it's imperative to have a backup that can be counted on. Not that Lack can't be - it's just an unknown

I know...but he's 25. He's got to get a shot soon. Maybe not this season, but definitely the next.

KidCanuck*

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie...

Eddie is injured, not sure about the length of his injury but we need depth in this area anyways if not able to acquire one through a Luongo deal if and when it is made. Theodore or Reimer would be sufficient but I could also see neither of those guys being included in a deal as well.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
There might not be any urgency. Gillis and his bunch might be looking for a fill-in for Lack?

If they are actually looking for a number two on the depth chart goalie, they left it a little late.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Can anyone tell me what happened to Lack's play? Has he been completely outplayed by Climie like the numbers indicate?

Was playing OK this season, then got injured. A lot of reports indicating he's playing too deep in his net and dropping too early.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I'd be most comfortable with a Schneider-Luongo tandem until the off-season. There's going to be a lot of back-to-back games in a shortened schedule, and if the burden is all on Schneider, what happens if he has an injury like a groin pull due to over-work? Is anyone really comfortable with someone like #danellisproblems in more than spot duty?

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I was a big fan of Ellis when he was in Nashville, as I recall, when Rinne was hurt the team (and fanbase) had zero concerns with letting Ellis handle things. If you go back a couple seasons, there were even some discussion about whether the starter reins should be handed to Rinne or if Ellis was solid enough that on any given night he might be a better option which says a lot.

Ultimately, the consensus in Nashville was that Ellis was consistent, dependable, great team guy, just lacked the elite high-end ability to be a superstar like Rinne. He might have been a bit of the product of Nashville's defensive system and maybe he's declined with age, but he's my ideal.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I'd be most comfortable with a Schneider-Luongo tandem until the off-season. There's going to be a lot of back-to-back games in a shortened schedule, and if the burden is all on Schneider, what happens if he has an injury like a groin pull due to over-work? Is anyone really comfortable with someone like #danellisproblems in more than spot duty?

Hehe. I wonder if my prediction will actually go through. We get into the playoffs and Schnieder gets injured, allowing Luongo to win us the Stanley cup. :laugh:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Dan Ellis makes the most sense.

yep. Ellis seems like the best fit for this shortened season shenanigans. Veteran backup who can potentially start some games in a compressed schedule. Obviously wants to be here, and seems like he very much knows his role.

Maybe not perfectly ideal, but given the slim-pickings on the market, and the short camp, etc. Seems like the best fit.

I know...but he's 25. He's got to get a shot soon. Maybe not this season, but definitely the next.

Next year for sure. With a shortened season, Schneider will have a change to gradually ease into being the '#1' in a sense. Next season, Lack will be able to help handle some of the load so we don't end up with a starter playing an absurd number of games again like the old days. And at a very cap-friendly price point. :)

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Likely Ellis. He wants to play here and would hopefully/maybe take a cheap deal to do so.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
Brent Johnson was a big stablizing factor for Pitts while Fleury struggled early on. IMO, he's the obvious choice, a victim of circumstance with the Pens picking up Vokoun as a 1b.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad