Back in 1994...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
I read in the Vancouver Sun today that 10 years ago, the owners wanted a luxury tax system in the NHL. Back then, they were complaining that the avg salary of over $500k a year was too much. Back then, the big point producers were the only ones who were millionaires.

10 years ago, I was still in elementary school, so I didn't really pay attention to the business dealings...I just knew that the two sides were bickering and couldn't reach an agreement. For those of you who do remember the issues at hand, I have a question: why did the players oppose a luxury tax system back then? And do you think it would've prevented the trouble the NHL currently faces?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
ehc73 said:
I read in the Vancouver Sun today that 10 years ago, the owners wanted a luxury tax system in the NHL. Back then, they were complaining that the avg salary of over $500k a year was too much. Back then, the big point producers were the only ones who were millionaires.

10 years ago, I was still in elementary school, so I didn't really pay attention to the business dealings...I just knew that the two sides were bickering and couldn't reach an agreement. For those of you who do remember the issues at hand, I have a question: why did the players oppose a luxury tax system back then? And do you think it would've prevented the trouble the NHL currently faces?

If that's what the Vancouver Sun says it's incorrect. It was the players who proposed a luxury tax 10 years ago in response to the owners demand for a cap. The owners wanted no part of revenue sharing. It's almost exactly the same situation we have today. The major difference now is that Bettman has veto power so the owners can't ram another bad CBA down his throat. That's the owners way of acknowledging that Bettman was right 10 years ago, and they were wrong.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Buffaloed said:
If that's what the Vancouver Sun says it's incorrect. It was the players who proposed a luxury tax 10 years ago in response to the owners demand for a cap. The owners wanted no part of revenue sharing. It's almost exactly the same situation we have today. The major difference now is that Bettman has veto power so the owners can't ram another bad CBA down his throat. That's the owners way of acknowledging that Bettman was right 10 years ago, and they were wrong.

Was Bettman not the commish in 1994? He still needs the same 8 owners on his side.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
Was Bettman not the commish in 1994? He still needs the same 8 owners on his side.

Back then Bettman needed alot more than 8 owners to get his way. He needed at least a majority if not 2/3rds.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
John Flyers Fan said:
14 out of 26 is still more than 8. :razz:

That's true, but 9 is a lot closer to 8, and only 9 dissenters were needed to reject a CBA proposal in 1994. A 2/3rds majority is required for approval. :p:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad