Babcock's mandatory point chart!!!

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
Guys, I think I just figured out why sometimes we just don't care and go out and float.
I remembered that I had heard about Babcocks mandatory points table.
I think if I remember correctly he had a schedule chart that we had to get 6 points in 5 games???
Is it possible that the players play according to that table and stop caring when we reach the goal or are close to it?
For example if we win the first 2 games of the cycle - they don't really pressure themselves in game 3, 4 and try hard during game 5?
Or especially after 3 wins - we just don't care anymore.
I am sorry if you find my recent thoughts Pejorative Slured. I am sharing with you as fast as I could.
Do you think this is possible?

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I always suspected something like this...

That and the injury prevention to what seems like evenly distributed minutes no matter how useful a stacked line is.

Its smart. We do have what seems to be a healthier lineup vs other teams. MLSE hired some number geniuses that applied this to the games.

It explains how we can look like an OHL team one day and then go and beat the best teams and make it look easy.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Guys, I think I just figured out why sometimes we just don't care and go out and float.
I remembered that I had heard about Babcocks mandatory points table.
I think if I remember correctly he had a schedule chart that we had to get 6 points in 5 games???
Is it possible that the players play according to that table and stop caring when we reach the goal or are close to it?
For example if we win the first 2 games of the cycle - they don't really pressure themselves in game 3, 4 and try hard during game 5?
Or especially after 3 wins - we just don't care anymore.
I am sorry if you find my recent thoughts ******ed. I am sharing with you as fast as I could.
Do you think this is possible?

I think pro's would have more reliable motivation than that.

However - I think Babcock has the right idea with the wrong execution.

Instead of 5 game cycles - they should be 7 games series. He should also:

1. Reset as soon a series is won or lost (ex = if they win 4 straight than the series is over).
2. Have a reward/punishment in place for winning/losing a series (ex = dinner/bag-skate).
3. Start with the goal of never losing a 7 game series during the regular season.

If they can go a whole season without losing a 7-game series (12 - 18 wins in a row) .... they'll be extremely tough to beat in the playoffs.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

1. Reset as soon a series is won or lost (ex = if they win 4 straight than the series is over).
2. Have a reward/punishment in place for winning/losing a series (ex = dinner/bag-skate).
3. Start with the goal of never losing a 7 game series during the regular season.

If they can go a whole season without losing a 7-game series (12 - 18 wins in a row) .... they'll be extremely tough to beat in the playoffs.
This is great. I like this.

Reactions: Leafs1993 and Rogue

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
I always suspected something like this...

That and the injury prevention to what seems like evenly distributed minutes no matter how useful a stacked line is.

Its smart. We do have what seems to be a healthier lineup vs other teams. MLSE hired some number geniuses that applied this to the games.

It explains how we can look like an OHL team one day and then go and beat the best teams and make it look easy.
It’s all pointless if we keep losing in the first round.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014

@MLSE Hire this guy

Reactions: Rogue

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Let's be clear, the low ice time for stars isn't just about injury prevention with Babcock. He didn't give Matthews much ice time in the playoffs either. I don't think we were saving him for this year.

The 6 points in 5 games segments is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. If they win three in a row it's a license to lose the next two. Dumb.

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017

You are truly amazing!!!
That is the best thing I have read from weeks!!!

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I'm not sure if this thread is serious or not.

As I have been doing the Segments thread mentioned above, I already looked in to this as it crossed my mind too. The numbers are not consistent enough for me to believe it... but the last few segments does nothing to shut this down. I cannot remember how well they played in those games at the end of segments where we already had enough points in the bag. It's not a crazy as it sounds, as these 5 game segments are a big thing within the room.

Last edited:
Reactions: HamiltonNHL

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Let's be clear, the low ice time for stars isn't just about injury prevention with Babcock. He didn't give Matthews much ice time in the playoffs either. I don't think we were saving him for this year.

Honestly if Babcock continues this into the Post Season he's a fool.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013

brilliant and fits in with logic, wisdom and reason
better this than losing again and management facing layoffs
prepare the team for the playoffs, the true goal of the season
And if this helps raise the cup here, there will be some cheering and some mazel tov-s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad