Babcock's Future

Should Babcock remain Leaf coach next season if we lose to Bruins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Possible rift with AM - and I'm sure Matthews isn't happy with 5 min of ice time in the 3rd period in game 7 an dunder 19 min for the game
He clearly doesn't like Nylander
Man-crushes on PM, Brown - last year it was different, ineffective players
Inability to adapt in-game
Clearly does not like some of Dubas's decisions, or Lou before him and will play who he wants unless told otherwise
Whined about not having this, or that
Toxic

Absolutely embarrassing coaching in game 7. Just mind boggling

I hope I don't have to see his face behind the bench next year

Last edited:
Reactions: Erdinger

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
This is what makes me cringe with Babcock.

With 1 minute left in the 2nd I said to my buddies "Why doesn't Babcock ever stack a line with Matthews, Marner & Tavares when there's 1 minute left in a period. Pittsburgh does this all the time with Malkin and Crosby."

So he didn't do it with a minute left but then with 12 seconds left he did it. Like WHAT?!?!?

Reactions: ForzaZuffa

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
This is what makes me cringe with Babcock.

With 1 minute left in the 2nd I said to my buddies "Why doesn't Babcock ever stack a line with Matthews, Marner & Tavares when there's 1 minute left in a period. Pittsburgh does this all the time with Malkin and Crosby."

So he didn't do it with a minute left but then with 12 seconds left he did it. Like WHAT?!?!?

Cause he is a conservative coach who rather play safe than load up

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
05onfire1_xp-superJumbo-v2.jpg

Babcock's press conference

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
The dramatic turn around of the Islanders D says a different approach can change things.

They played a pretty underwhelming Pittsburgh team. Lehner was also out of this world good. It also takes a team of certain types of players willing to buy in and execute. Islanders have a more blue collar roster, and its easier to get buy in from a group like that.

I am indifferent about Babcock, I just think this roster is flawed. Perhaps changing the coach is the right move to see if that makes a difference.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
So how do we get that without trading some of our skill and speed? Who goes? It's not like Brown is going to return that. If Dubas makes a deal for another top 4 RHD that can compliment either Rielly or Dermott, I will be impressed. He also has to do it with keeping the cap in check, so I can't see how we don't move Kadri or Nylander to get it and that won't make some on here happy.​
Dont get me wrong im not averse to moving skill players but you dont do so to downgrade your team. If any of the guys return us top 6 talent that can score and forecheck or another muzzin Im for it

Reactions: RLF

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Babcock is done. If this is any other organization he would be Fired!

Someone in the MLSE needs to grow a set of balls and fire him. Enough is enough.

Calling it right now! The Toronto Maple Leafs are going to miss the playoffs next season!
You called it all season this season too...

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I am indifferent about Babcock, I just think this roster is flawed. Perhaps changing the coach is the right move to see if that makes a difference.

You cant change the players (that much), so you change the ...

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
In a vacuum I still love Babcock, however, he and Dubas clearly have unreconciliable differences in philosophy. Babcock wants his players to dump the puck in deep, have a player like Hyman crash in and feed the puck back to a Tavares/ Matthews/ Marner type who are now in position to score. Johnsson /Kapanen /Petan are great players, but they are not "plyrs". Either fire Babcock, or give him the tools he needs to run his system, but please for the love of God do not continue having management and coaching tugging the team in opposite directions.

Also fire the special teams coaching either way, they had some of the worst results despite having some of the best personell.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Sure, there's some truth to this. On the other hand, it's not just that we could never beat Lebron, we also had a ton of trouble against teams that on paper, we should be able to handle easily. I don't know if there was even one year with Casey where we could say that we played up to our full potential in the playoffs.
I don't think the Raptors truly had a great team, a good team yes but they didn't quite have the personnel to beat LeBron's teams. They also didn't have that "superstar" caliber player on their team, Lowry and DeRozan, while good players were never those guys and it showed as they can put up some real rotten performances in the playoffs. I don't think you can pin the blame entirely on Casey for that, I mean this year Lowry had 0 points in game 1 . Now, not to derail the thread anymore than I have lol but bringing it back to Babcock, sometimes you can't blame the coach if the team doesn't score. That doesn't mean the coach should escape criticism, he does deserve criticism for playing Marleau so much, and pulling the goalie early in game 6 but can you really blame him for Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen and Johnsson for barely scoring? I'm neither for nor against Babcock getting fired, I'm not so sure it would be the right move to fire him as I don't think there are really many viable options out there. People love someone like Barry Trotz but even he got a lot of time at teams hes coached. He even missed the playoffs 3 times with Nashville(they bounced back immediately when he left), and he even got 4 solid years of playoff hockey with the caps. Which mind you, he won the cup after being eliminated in back to back years to the same team. Not saying that will happen here, but maybe Babcock should get 1 more year, I don't know

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
You're all a bit shortsighted.

He's likely still back at the position next year because there's no clear alternative candidate to take the position.

Let me put it to you another way, if you were to hire a coach as a replacement, who would it be?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Shanny has a lot on his plate to think about in NYC. He will talk to everyone his players, coaches, his GM/mgmt, his buddies, his bros, his sponsors, his board and his hockey friends before he makes his decision. No one can really tell you what he will do because Shanny plays it very close to his vest and he is very unpredictable in his decision making. He has made some real off the wall decisions in his life that felt right to him. My guess is he takes a few more weeks to assemble his thoughts. There are a lot of issues on the hockey side which need fixed. There are a lot of issues on the people side which he needs to think through too. The good news is MLSE has more money than God and they have no issues throwing their money around to fix these issues. I think Shanny has 2/3 more years left with board to right the ship.

First big issue is Babs and this will take some time to think through. Does he give him another chance and risk 1 of his 2/3 years left with him? Of 50M deal with Babs it is estimated roughly 35M has been paid. So really only dealing with 15M as payment left and 4 more years with org. Still a lot of money but for Leafs it is chump change. Like you or I buying a new car when we really don't need one but what the h*ll. And Babs has done a lot taking us from garbage to a playoff team so he has helped out the cause in some ways.

From knowing him a little as kids and growing up with his brothers and mine in Toronto hockey I think he will either move up Babs to a senior advisor role or force fundamental changes to his authority coaching and his assistants. He will not risk cutting him loose completely to another org. I would hope Babs helps out team rather than hire a lawyer but Babs seems like a guy who will fight it and hire a lawyer. My gut tells me it will end badly. Babs is too stubborn. He thinks his stretch pass system is god like but truth is it only worked with a God on defense who he played 30 minutes a night. Anyone can coach a team when you have best player on ice who never screws up and can either skate puck up ice at will or pass it at will and with ZERO errors. It was same with Team Canada where again the talent was overwhelming and unstoppable. When you really cut to the chase coaching a legend in Detroit or several superstars on Team Canada to championships is not that great an accomplishment for any coach. I am not dishing it because like it or not he won them but in current NHL with CAP issues and teams relatively similar it is a new world in which Babs has proven to be a 1st round bust.

But even people that know him don't know what he will do. Guaranteed even Dubie has no idea either. But given Dubie was just hired as GM I think he will get a pass this year.

Reactions: Erdinger

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
he should be gone, not because he lost last night as much as that he's not a good coach. He's a mediocre coach with a unique persona in front of the microphone who's been in very fortunate situations that allowed him to win. He has no ability as a tactician, just keeps doing the same things when they're not working, and expects the "line shuffle" to be a trump card

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
It's always easier to fire 1 guy than 23.
That being said, in order to properly evaluate the GM, his team building philosophy and his player salary commitment choices, it may be necessary to make the change.
Some of us don't agree with all of the above but everyone gets their chance.

Then the clock can start on Dubas. Failing that, if Babcock does stay, he must have a list of stricter criteria to meet in order to remain coach beyond next year. Winning 1 round in the playoffs must be one of them.
I thought getting past the 1st round was this year's criteria. We are stuck for another year with guy. I hate the players getting coaches fired but guys like Matthews or his agent need to put pressure on Shanahan to approve what I'm sure Dubas wants to do

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Possible rift with AM - and I'm sure Matthews isn't happy with 5 min of ice time in game 7
He clearly doesn't like Nylander
Man-crushes on PM, Brown - last year it was different, ineffective players
Inability to adapt in-game
Clearly does not like some of Dubas's decisions, or Lou before him and will play who he wants unless told otherwise
Whined about not having this, or that
Toxic

Absolutely embarrassing coaching in game 7. Just mind boggling

I hope I don't have to see his face behind the bench next year
I think you're wrong about Mathew's ice time, 5 minutes, it had to be at least 18 or 19.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
If the Leafs dump Babcock is it possible players on the other 29 teams file a grievance since there is a 1 in 30 chance they get him?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Or maybe this current Leafs team really isn't that good. Once the real season began (game 30 or so), this was team on pace for 93 points, which doesn't even get them in the playoffs.

As a longtime Leaf fan, this is also one of the least appealing teams to rout for from a player personnel standpoint. That's just my opinion.

Reactions: ForzaZuffa

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Here is the 1st test for Dubas. Fire Hiller who is Babs loyal assistant. If that doesn't shake up Babs to adapt then you know he has to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->