Speculation: Babcock's Future - Post Playoff Talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
That's an easy fix. Out with Kadri and 4.5 million and in with a 1.5 million speedy C who can PK and win draws.
People laughed at Glendening but he is a right handed center with a 55% faceoff win. Making 1.8 million. If he had a Moore/Johnsson around him, good 3rd line while you are spending more dollars up top. And getting a D.

Thing is babcock would play the hell out of him

Reactions: supermann_98

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Babs said all the right things when he was hired and had a very promising 2 years. Then he started to do things completely opposite of what he said. Then... After his new found strategy failed in year 3, he decided to double down on it for year 4.

Stop trying to make the team a grind team. It's not designed for it. When they were doing overload in season 2? That was beautiful. Now the team had been playing garbage hockey with hopes that our offensive weapons ignore him and do things that allow them to produce. That isn't functional.

It's like look at how dominant the team was in offensive zone in 16-17. That was the same type of hockey I see on display in Columbus, San Jose and Vegas. Why are we playing this heavy style for no damned reason?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Thing is babcock would play the hell out of him
Yeah that's one fear.
You know there is a problem when you have a host of players on the team and now answer me this:
What kind of chemistry do Tavares/Nylander have?
Hyman..Kadri...Brown/Kapanen?

How about other combos? How much chemistry do we really know about on our own team?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Yeah that's one fear.
You know there is a problem when you have a host of players on the team and now answer me this:
What kind of chemistry do Tavares/Nylander have?
Hyman..Kadri...Brown/Kapanen?

How about other combos? How much chemistry do we really know about on our own team?

We don't because for the most part, Babcock kept his template line ideas in tact. I never understood why he didn't experiment with different combinations in the earlier stages. And there's always been a guy he plays the hell out of, who has no business getting that kind of minutes. At least one

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think Dubas is trigger happy to fire Babcock and replace him with is boy Sheldon Keefe ASAP. IMO

This might not be a bad thing for Babcock as his salary is guaranteed and once gone Leafs will still be paying him $6.25 mil for another 4-5 years.

Once Dubas gets Marner signed to his +$10 mil deal, this team is going to be in serious cap concerns, with soooo much invested in sooo few that the competitiveness of the Leafs team will be severely tested. When AM + MM take up > $20 mil cap instead o < $2 mil that impact on the rest of the team around them will be weakened.

Seeing teams built like the Leafs in TB and Pitts built on offense getting swept in the 1st round, suggests the road the Leafs are currently on is full of pitfalls and dangers.

The margin for coaching error will be razor thin as a result it might be a 50/50 coin flip playoffs or not next year proposition, so it would be interesting to witness what a Dubas + Keefe duo guiding the team with very little NHL experience would result in.

If the Leafs make a coaching change and miss the playoffs next season, there will be a world of second guessing any fire Babcock now support. In fact a fire Dubas by MLSE ownership might be loudest voice among them all, as they continue to pay Babs his $6.3 mil annual salary and lose playoff revenue in the process.

Reactions: rumman

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think Dubas is trigger happy to fire Babcock and replace him with is boy Sheldon Keefe ASAP. IMO

This might not be a bad thing for Babcock as his salary is guaranteed and once gone Leafs will still be paying him $6.25 mil for another 4-5 years.

Once Dubas gets Marner signed to his +$10 mil deal, this team is going to be in serious cap concerns, with soooo much invested in sooo few that the competitiveness of the Leafs team will be severely tested. When AM + MM take up > $20 mil cap instead o < $2 mil that impact on the rest of the team around them will be tested.

Seeing teams built like the Leafs in TB and Pitts getting swept in the 1st round, suggests the road the Leafs are currently on is full of pitfalls and dangers.

The margin for coaching error will be razor thin as a result it might be a 50/50 coin flip playoffs or not next year proposition, so it would be interesting to witness what a Dubas + Keefe duo guiding the team with very little NHL experience would result in.

If the Leafs make a coaching change and miss the playoffs next season, there will be a world of second guessing any fire Babcock now support. In fact a fire Dubas by MLSE ownership might be loudest voice among them all, as they continue to pay Babs his $6.3 mil annual salary and lose playoff revenue in the process.

If Leafs fire Babcock and somebody hires him, does the contract he has with the Leafs get ripped up? Or does he still get paid by Toronto and his new team?

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
They're torching Babs on 1050am right now. Saying pretty much everything said in these threads.

Can you give any more colour as to the who's? Mackenzie was on earlier on my commute and seemed to be defending Babs as much as one could it seemed, despite Carlo and Landsberg focusing on the coaching (Marleau question, and lack of flexibility).

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
This has probably been mentioned on another thread, but Leafs Lunch brought up a good point today. The fact that Babcock said that an injured Gardiner is better than any other option on D (this would include Rosen) can be interpreted as yet another F.U. to Dubas (who stated that there is D depth in the organization). It's also not so great for Rosen, who can infer what his future coach thinks of him.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
As an outsider looking in I can totally sympathize with how many Leafs fans would want Babcock gone. I know if he was coaching my team the same way I would want him fired.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This has probably been mentioned on another thread, but Leafs Lunch brought up a good point today. The fact that Babcock said that an injured Gardiner is better than any other option on D (this would include Rosen) can be interpreted as yet another F.U. to Dubas (who stated that there is D depth in the organization). It's also not so great for Rosen, who can infer what his future coach thinks of him.

yah already pooping on Rosen. not good.

Reactions: DanM

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Talking about firing Babcock is the same old narrow minded approach that kept our team in the doldrums for decades.

The instant gratification crowd is back.

The marked improvement we saw earlier then expected has got the more inexperienced fans back to their old tricks.

Fortunately I believe our management team is going to stick to the Shanaplan and not deviate, they will completely ignore the blather about firing Babcock because quite frankly they know what they are doing.

That said there are things he does that I don't agree with but that will happen with any coach.

Settle down folks and go back to enjoying the fact we are still a young and upcoming team on the rise and not the cellar dwellers we were for decades.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Can you give any more colour as to the who's? Mackenzie was on earlier on my commute and seemed to be defending Babs as much as one could it seemed, despite Carlo and Landsberg focusing on the coaching (Marleau question, and lack of flexibility).

Sorry, I don't normally listen to that stuff so I can't name them but it was the usual panel, no guests. Andi and whomever. Pretty sure they just replay it all afternoon though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm 80% fire Babcock but not sure how I feel about Keefe as his replacement. No one knows how Keefe would adapt to being an NHL coach.

The other 20% is simply firing Babcock's assistants but that almost never goes well.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
“Promote” Babcock to a nice titled job and get him from behind the bench.

I’m tired of all the posters defending him with all the excuses

He doesn’t have the players - he has arguably the best young core in the game

He doesn’t have anyone to take face off on the penalty kill- Tavares killed penalties on the island but Babcock is so stubborn he only “trusts” Hyman brown hainsey and Zaitsev to kill penalties.

He neutered our offence in the playoffs by getting our best offensive line to go up against the other teams top line.

He thinks you have to win games 2-1

No in game changes just same old same old

3rd4th liners get more ice time than elite players

Stretch passes and dump and chase is not how this team is built but that is his system and he tries to force it on the players with little or no success.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

To each their own, but I don't see it quite that way. Gardiner was fourth among Leaf D in ice time in Game 7, and fifth in the series overall. Rosen isn't likely to step into that big of a role this soon. If that's the case, who is taking on the extra ice time and how does that pan out? Questions we only have guesses for, and no definite answers.

I expect Rosen to be in the top six next season, but (to start, at the very least) as a #6. The start of the regular season also isn't the playoffs. I think if Rosen could have been the answer instead of Gardiner now, Gardiner would have been traded by the deadline.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006

Once Dubas gets Marner signed to his +$10 mil deal, this team is going to be in serious cap concerns, with soooo much invested in sooo few that the competitiveness of the Leafs team will be severely tested. When AM + MM take up > $20 mil cap instead o < $2 mil that impact on the rest of the team around them will be weakened.

Seeing teams built like the Leafs in TB and Pitts built on offense getting swept in the 1st round, suggests the road the Leafs are currently on is full of pitfalls and dangers.

Pitts won two stanley cups in the last five years... they're an aging team that got bounced by a very good islanders team. Using this year as a reason not to build a team like the Penguins seems kind of odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->