Speculation: Babcock's Future - Post Playoff Talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I'd like to hear why he should be kept on other than "It's up to the players to perform"

There's a whole lot of reasons why he shouldnt be kept

Don't forget they'll also say "you couldn't do a better job"...as if that was the alternative. Its no guarantee a new coach will improve things but I struggle to see much positive out of what Babs has done here. And it wouldn't be the first time the Leafs got the best in the business only to find out much later that the game had passed him by *cough* Burke *cought* I don't know why its so controversial to suggest Babs might not be that great of a coach.

None of his too clever "smartest guy in the room" moves paid off. I guess Hyman's turned into a good player after 3 straight seasons of top line minutes, thats about the only one of these I can think of working. The rest of them have been bad, many screwed us over last night. I don't understand how some people think DJ Smith is the plague and Babs should stay, I highly highly doubt Smith is operating on his own...if he is that in itself is an issue.

Reactions: Al14 and SAMCRO44

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think he’s stale, but to be fair he needs a better roster. I mean he doesn’t have anyone that can take a face off on the PK. One of the guys he did have was traded.

Reactions: TML11

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I would like a coach who isn't afraid to go Matthews...Marner and Tavares...Nylander for more than 1 whistle. Chemistry is a crazy thing. You never know where it exists. And while I really like Hyman's game, don't be afraid to make a 3rd line of Hyman/Kapanen/Moore as the need arises.

Do things.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
D44XlG_VUAEiwkk.jpg

Reactions: Mats13

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Dwayne Casey was fired for lack of success in the playoffs regardless of a great regular season. A tough decision has to be made but for the good of the team Babcock has to go.

Casey wasn't owed almost $20M on his contract when he was fired (was he?). Not that MLSE can't afford it but it's not a good look on the prez and whoever else approved that contract. Babcock will have at least one more year to bury this team.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
It's a joke. Still not admitting that his undersized 4th line wingers were arguably the most consistent players in this series and the ones deserving of much more ice-time. You had the resources already, and they were doing well, you just refused to give them a real opportunity. Guy is such a clown, my God.

He gave his 4th line wingers plenty of ice time and too many opportunities. Unfortunately, he played them on the third line.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Shanahan and Dubas have to have a real candid talk with Babcock here. Really push him. I don't think anyone up top pushed him up to this point, it's like they are all afraid. He does whatever the hell he wants.

Reactions: TheLeafsBro

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Fire him.
Constant mismanagement of the assets provided.
Even if he's a 'gud coach', he's the wrong one for Dubas.
Differing voices are good, but not when it means that the GM's vision is not maximized.
You know Dubas wanted Anderson to play less games.
You know he wanted Holl to get a better look during the season etc etc.

You can have the best square peg in the world but it still won't ever fit a round hole.
Time to move on.

Just sayin', if Dubas wanted Andersen to play less games, he should have kept the backup that would have allowed that to happen.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Id really like to know more of the dynamic between Babs and his assistants before I call for their heads too. Honestly cant see him giving them any sort of autonomy.

Reactions: TML11 and JayDog17

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Shanahan and Dubas have to have a real candid talk with Babcock here. Really push him. I don't think anyone up top pushed him up to this point, it's like they are all afraid. He does whatever the hell he wants.

The perils of hiring a young GM. I'm 49 and a pretty strong personality and I guarantee I'd have trouble calling Babcock out. He's an intimidating guy.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think he’s stale, but to be fair he needs a better roster. I mean he doesn’t have anyone that can take a face off on the PK. One of the guys he did have was traded.
That's an easy fix. Out with Kadri and 4.5 million and in with a 1.5 million speedy C who can PK and win draws.
People laughed at Glendening but he is a right handed center with a 55% faceoff win. Making 1.8 million. If he had a Moore/Johnsson around him, good 3rd line while you are spending more dollars up top. And getting a D.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Since 2008-2009, Babcock's record in the first round is 3-5. He has not passed the second round in that time frame.
Since 2012-2013, Babcock's record in game 7s is 1-6. He is 0-5 since 2013-2014.
Since 2014-2015, Babcock's record is series clinching games is 0-5.

Since 2008-2009, Babcock's post season record is 3-9 in series and 32-42 in games.

Reactions: Crispy Crust

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
I wish Dubas would fire Babcock and replace him with Keefe. However, I just don't see it happening. I don't think Shanny would approve of it.

If we could get rid of DJ smith/Hiller and replace them with Keefe and one of his guys to fix the special teams that would be realistic and ideal. Keefe would also have the balls not to be a 'yes man' and could maybe even talk some sense into Babs (doubt it though). Further, it would allow a smooth transition of the club into Keefe's hands if Babcock throws away another series next year if he shows an inability to adjust his game plans.

Dubas continually talks about ways to use the Leafs financial resources as an advantage. Pay Keefe 7 figures to stay 1 year more year with the implicit understanding that Babcock is on the hot seat despite his reputation as 'one of the best coaches'.

Last edited:

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Fire the assistants and bring in some guys who know how to run special teams. Make sure these new guys are NOT of Babcock’s choosing. Preferably guys with no connection to babs.

Reactions: Al14

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That's an easy fix. Out with Kadri and 4.5 million and in with a 1.5 million speedy C who can PK and win draws.
People laughed at Glendening but he is a right handed center with a 55% faceoff win. Making 1.8 million. If he had a Moore/Johnsson around him, good 3rd line while you are spending more dollars up top. And getting a D.

Yes. Something like that.
A big mucking winger for Matthews and Nylander.

Goat, Marleau, Brown, need to go and a hungry fourth line of guys wanting to make a name for themselves.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
The remaining teams have size, but skill is what helps them win in the end. Sure, they use their size to an advantage, but ultimately, they don't rely on it to create offence. If there is one thing that all the remaining teams do that sets them apart from us is that they used their skill and speed primarily to create chances. Watching the San Jose - Vegas game last night was like watching another sport compared to the Leafs.

Babcock's dump-chase-bang-repeat style just doesn't work anymore. The "heavy" play that everyone so desperately wants is only useful if you have possession, which is only achieved with speed and skill. In short, the modern NHL team style is to use your speed and skill to move the puck into the zone, and you use your size and grit to keep the puck in the other teams end. Babcock just seems to ignore the first part of the equation, even though we have the speed and skill to do it. Stretch passes and dump-and-chase are strategies from the past.

Reactions: Legendary

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
He ain’t getting fired yet. This franchise will (or bloody well should) fire his assistants and bring in new guys to fix the special teams and re-work the defensive system.

He’s got one more season imo to get this team over the first round hump and achieve some level of playoff success. Should he fail again his goose is cooked.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I like Shanny, but if Shanahan and Dubas dont fire Babcock then they should be gone too. Its as obvious as hell that Babcock is too stubborn, too egotistic and too arrogant to be the coach of the Leafs. Shanny made a mistake hiring Babcock, accept it, fire his ass to the moon and cut your loses. If this is not done, I can see the fans starting to turn on the whole management team. Lets hope they do the right thing and get rid of Babcock. Keeping him will just be another wasted year with this talent.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Yeah, cause we don't have JT or anything lol... Its not like he PK'd all last year for the Islanders. But Babcock/Smith wouldn't even try him on the PK at all.

Casey wasn't owed almost $20M on his contract when he was fired (was he?). Not that MLSE can't afford it but it's not a good look on the prez and whoever else approved that contract. Babcock will have at least one more year to bury this team.
Theres been talk that his contract was heavily front loaded. So the majority of his contract has already been paid.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I would like a coach who isn't afraid to go Matthews...Marner and Tavares...Nylander for more than 1 whistle. Chemistry is a crazy thing. You never know where it exists. And while I really like Hyman's game, don't be afraid to make a 3rd line of Hyman/Kapanen/Moore as the need arises.

Do things.
Take Hyman off the top line? Babcock would amputate both of his own legs before he would do that!

Reactions: supermann_98

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Dwayne Casey was fired for lack of success in the playoffs regardless of a great regular season. A tough decision has to be made but for the good of the team Babcock has to go.

Dwane Casey had 7 years as coach and 5 years of playoff exits to LeBron.

We're on year 4 overal and year 3 in the playoffs, and really only the first one where moving on past the first round was actually somewhat expected.

Reactions: Clark4Ever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad