Injury Report: Babcock: Polak is done for the rest of the year

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Polak thrives because he's a tough d man who can skate really well. Hopefully this doesn't take that away from him

Not sure of his skating overall, but he uses sound gap control and toughness to keep guys to the outside. That has a ton of value in the playoffs when playing a rough game isn't so tightly called. He'll be missed.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
It's a very unfortunate freak injury. This would normally be a much worse blow for the defence, considering the depth is already spread thin and Polak is the only real hardnosed defenceman we have, but with the way Gardiner and Rielly in particular have stepped up, I think they can ride it out.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I think some people are overreacting. He wasn't necessarily a target, the hit isn't what injured him, it's how he fell down that ruined him IMO. Disgusting to look at.

On second note, PLEASE CALL UP DERMOTT! Seeing Mcavoy come so clutch for the Bruins, I really want the Leafs to give Dermott a chance. He's been so good, and I just have a strong feeling he'll do great at the NHL level. Rather him than Marchenko for Monday in case Zaitsev isn't ready.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Sucks because Polak is exactly the perfect response to the Caps. Slow and skilled players, he demolishes them 24/7. ****. Hope he can fully heal.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Zaitsev should be back by Game 4 the latest. Otherwise, we run with Marincin and Marchenko. No way Dermott is getting his first game in the NHL in the middle of a heated playoff race. He's good, but he's human.

We've got to have faith in four solid bottom pairing guys to play in our top 6 and hope Rielly and Gardiner continue to step up with big games.

Refer to McAvoy. And before you say Dermott isn't as good, trust me, I personally think he's as good and more ready than McAvoy was. Dermott also is the type of guy that can handle this kind of pressure.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Who was that guy who had an absolute meltdown when we signed him again?

There were several. Can't recall handles but the polak hate was strong.

Depending on the severity of the injury, I hope we resign him.
Heal we roman.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Who gets called up from the Marlies? Gotta assume it's Dermott right?

Hunwick-Rielly
Gardiner-Carrick/Marchenko
Dermott-Marchenko/Marincin

I don't think Nielsen plays a safe enough game to be thrown to the wolves against Washington's forecheck even if it's for 12 minutes a game. Maybe one of Holl/Campbell/Valiev?
For the playoffs and since babs said the focus is not on development in thw playoffs, I would assume olesky or Campbell. Dermott is a rookie and though I love the kid I would rather he play games in the Calder cup than sit in a pressbox with the leafs.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Polak has been great the past few months, we'll miss him for sure. You could tell it was very serious the moment it happened, though. Hopefully Zaitsev is back for game 3, Marchenko would get eaten alive IMO.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
So what's the defence next game if no Zaitsev?

Hunwick Rielly
Gardiner Carrick
Marincin Marchenko

Remember the Berg-Belak killer B's pairing I guess this will be the killer M's :)

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I'm guessing Marchenko will slot in.

I really hope that Zaitsev is back Monday night. His presence would be a HUGE boost to our blueline.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If Zaitsev is not ready for game three, I am ok with Leivo filling in on the third pair. He has been filling a position on D in the recent practices.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Sucks because he's a UFA and based on his play this season he probably could have gotten a 2 year contract from a team. Hopefully the Leafs give him the best treatment possible.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If Zaitsev is not ready for game three, I am ok with Leivo filling in on the third pair. He has been filling a position on D in the recent practices.

I'm not. Marchenko will should slot in and will be better on D than leivo.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
2nd game out and wham, playoffs over. That sucks man. Poor Roman, whose gonna clober in the corners now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad