OT: Babcock bobblehead

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Greetings from the Spokane Chiefs game where it's Mike Babcock bobblehead night. Looks just like him...

Sorry for triggering everyone's PTSD

PXL_20230205_024236903~2.jpg

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I always wondered what is the story behind making such strange toys in NA. I haven't seen anything like this in the rest of the world.

for someone unfamiliar these toys look... well, at least, unnatural. Somewhat ugly.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Frankly, that kinda looks like Nicklas Backstrom more than it looks like Babcock. But Nicklas Backstrom if he was very dissatisfied by something.

• Haha
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Hand that man a dynasty and he'll win a title... maybe.
It's funny how retroactively the 2008-era Wings are now dynasty-worthy.

That stacked roster with Lilja, Lebda, Kopecky, Ty Conklin. An aging Chelios, Hasek, Osgood, Draper, Maltby, and Dallas Drake.

That era was a good team. They were nowhere near the talent of a true dynasty. But now that Babcock has shown himself to be the a-hole he truly was the blame has shifted from the likes of Bettman and Malkin to Babcock.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

That stacked roster with Lilja, Lebda, Kopecky, Ty Conklin. An aging Chelios, Hasek, Osgood, Draper, Maltby, and Dallas Drake.

That era was a good team. They were nowhere near the talent of a true dynasty. But now that Babcock has shown himself to be the a-hole he truly was the blame has shifted from the likes of Bettman and Malkin to Babcock.

They absolutely were dynasty worthy. You'l listing off the weaker pieces while ignoring that they had two great scoring lines, a third that could kick in the bullshit goals to win close playoff games (Dan Cleary in 2008-2010 was a legitimately good player), and a fourth line that was still a bitch to play against. And a defense that had 3 #1s and replaced aging Chris Chelios's minutes with Brad Stuart. Like, in the 08 and 09 playoffs, they had 15 minute stretches of games in the SCF that Pittsburgh literally didn't get a shot on net.

I mean, they lost to a dynamite Anaheim team in a tight series, they won the cup and then they lost a back-to-back cup in one of those type of games where they win 99 out of 100 and Pittsburgh pulled out two goals from grinder Maxime Talbot to sneak the 1 out of 100.

I mean, you can look at the old Edmonton Oilers teams and they had weakenesses at the bottom of their lineup too. Chicago when they won three Cups in the 2010s rotated through like 18 different 2Cs.

Mike Babcock wildly underperformed with the roster he had in Detroit.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

And also... that 2009 Stanley Cup final was bullshit with jacking around the start of the series because Conan O'Brien had to be given the chance to flop hard on the Tonight Show and also that Malkin instigated a fight but they waived the suspension and he dominated in that game 3.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
They absolutely were dynasty worthy. You'l listing off the weaker pieces while ignoring that they had two great scoring lines, a third that could kick in the bullshit goals to win close playoff games (Dan Cleary in 2008-2010 was a legitimately good player), and a fourth line that was still a bitch to play against. And a defense that had 3 #1s and replaced aging Chris Chelios's minutes with Brad Stuart. Like, in the 08 and 09 playoffs, they had 15 minute stretches of games in the SCF that Pittsburgh literally didn't get a shot on net.

I mean, they lost to a dynamite Anaheim team in a tight series, they won the cup and then they lost a back-to-back cup in one of those type of games where they win 99 out of 100 and Pittsburgh pulled out two goals from grinder Maxime Talbot to sneak the 1 out of 100.

I mean, you can look at the old Edmonton Oilers teams and they had weakenesses at the bottom of their lineup too. Chicago when they won three Cups in the 2010s rotated through like 18 different 2Cs.

Mike Babcock wildly underperformed with the roster he had in Detroit.
They weren't dynasty worthy. This is exactly what I'm talking about. They did not have three #1 Dmen in 2008. They were a lot closer to that in '97. And the names I gave were not all bottom of the lineup.

Prior to 2008 they were relying on guys like Robert Lang, Schneider and Markov. Lidstrom played literally half of every game. It was close but just wasn't the right combo of people.

Like I said they were a great team. But it was a combination of players who were aging out and others were peaking. That's not a dynasty. It's a peak as a team that lasted a few years.

No one was saying Babcock wildly underperformed until he was already persona non grata. Weird how no one says it about Bowman given all the Wings disappointments before 1997.

And also... that 2009 Stanley Cup final was bullshit with jacking around the start of the series because Conan O'Brien had to be given the chance to flop hard on the Tonight Show and also that Malkin instigated a fight but they waived the suspension and he dominated in that game 3.
The schedule sucked, but the Malkin thing is more excuses. They had the chance to put the Pens away and couldn't. Injuries were certainly a factor but ultimately they couldn't close it out.

Winning the Cup because of the instigator rule would've been asterisk worthy.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
They weren't dynasty worthy. This is exactly what I'm talking about. They did not have three #1 Dmen in 2008. They were a lot closer to that in '97. And the names I gave were not all bottom of the lineup.

Prior to 2008 they were relying on guys like Robert Lang, Schneider and Markov. Lidstrom played literally half of every game. It was close but just wasn't the right combo of people.

Like I said they were a great team. But it was a combination of players who were aging out and others were peaking. That's not a dynasty. It's a peak as a team that lasted a few years.

No one was saying Babcock wildly underperformed until he was already persona non grata. Weird how no one says it about Bowman given all the Wings disappointments before 1997.

The schedule sucked, but the Malkin thing is more excuses. They had the chance to put the Pens away and couldn't. Injuries were certainly a factor but ultimately they couldn't close it out.

Winning the Cup because of the instigator rule would've been asterisk worthy.

What? No it wouldn’t. The rule is on the f***in books. I mean, nobody gives Tom Brady shit about the Tuck Rule anymore, do they?

When a rule is on the book, it should be enforced. It shouldn’t be waived because the guy who committed it is a superstar. Like, if you don’t call the penalty at all? Fine, I’m in lockstep. But they called the instigator and then Colin Campbell reversed course on the ruling simply because it was Evgeni Malkin and they needed ratings. Were it Pascal Dupuis who started that ruckus, he’s sitting. Were it Drew Miller who went after Sidney Crosby he’s sitting.

It’s the same bullshit as Dez Bryant running onto field with no helmet in the Lions playoff loss. It’s not the be-all, end-all reason… but it’s the league ignoring rule-breaking against stars and applying subjectivity onto things that simply don’t have any subjective nature to them. Hell, just like Shea Weber going Macho Man on Zetterberg. No suspension because Zetterberg didn’t get injured but somehow had Zetterberg come up with whiplash or something, it’s all of a sudden a penalty.

But I suppose this is just my abhorrence of “star calls”. If a penalty is a penalty, it should be that for every f***in player. If a penalty automatically draws a suspension, it should automatically draw a suspension for every player who commits it.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
What? No it wouldn’t. The rule is on the f***in books. I mean, nobody gives Tom Brady shit about the Tuck Rule anymore, do they?

When a rule is on the book, it should be enforced. It shouldn’t be waived because the guy who committed it is a superstar. Like, if you don’t call the penalty at all? Fine, I’m in lockstep. But they called the instigator and then Colin Campbell reversed course on the ruling simply because it was Evgeni Malkin and they needed ratings. Were it Pascal Dupuis who started that ruckus, he’s sitting. Were it Drew Miller who went after Sidney Crosby he’s sitting.

It’s the same bullshit as Dez Bryant running onto field with no helmet in the Lions playoff loss. It’s not the be-all, end-all reason… but it’s the league ignoring rule-breaking against stars and applying subjectivity onto things that simply don’t have any subjective nature to them. Hell, just like Shea Weber going Macho Man on Zetterberg. No suspension because Zetterberg didn’t get injured but somehow had Zetterberg come up with whiplash or something, it’s all of a sudden a penalty.

But I suppose this is just my abhorrence of “star calls”. If a penalty is a penalty, it should be that for every f***in player. If a penalty automatically draws a suspension, it should automatically draw a suspension for every player who commits it.
Ok you're right. Admittedly, calling it asterisk worthy is too far.

I guess I mean needing them missing one of their best players to win the Cup is not really a hill I want to die on, rules or not (though let's be honest I still would've been rubbing it in Pens fans faces had the Wings won).

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Ok you're right. Admittedly, calling it asterisk worthy is too far.

I guess I mean needing them missing one of their best players to win the Cup is not really a hill I want to die on, rules or not (though let's be honest I still would've been rubbing it in Pens fans faces had the Wings won).

Yeah. It’s less that they needed it and more that it was a really close series (because Pittsburgh was in the proto-dynasty level themselves). Even though it was post lockout, you had about three or four teams in the whole league with a real shot at it. But I don’t want to undersell just how good those late 2000s Wings teams were because there happened to be a few other teams that went on to win 2-3 cups that they sparred with.

Would be like crapping on the 96-2002 Wings because Colorado was neck and neck with them the whole time

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I always wondered what is the story behind making such strange toys in NA. I haven't seen anything like this in the rest of the world.

for someone unfamiliar these toys look... well, at least, unnatural. Somewhat ugly.

The cheapness and disposable nature of products like this make me kinda sad. Slap a corporate logo on it and it's the perfect recipe to conjure images that we're edging ever closer to a Blade Runner dystopia.

Yeah that's right, this stupid bobblehead is giving me ennui. f*** you, Babs.

• Haha

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Pavel, Hank, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Hossa, Franzen, Kronwall, Homer, Stuart, Grind line.... nope, no talent at all. Great coaching

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad