B Tkachuk vs Bertuzzi

Who is the better player right now?

• Total voters

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Gotta go with Brady. He does a lot of things that don’t show up on the scoresheet, and has 20+ goals as a 19 year old rookie playing right out of the draft.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
I think Tyler is the better player right now, but Brady has a very high ceiling and I believe he will eventually become better.

Brady- 2.02 5v5 p/60, 1.89 5v5 p1/60
Tyler- 2.22 5v5 p/60, 1.38 5v5 p1/60

Tyler has also produced pretty consistently 5v5 when he wasn't playing with Larkin, he was playing on a line with Glendening and Rasmussen and had 17 5v5 pts within about a month and a half stretch, so he's definitely not just being carried by Larkin, although obviously his possession metrics and production is better when playing on Larkin's line.

A similar argument can be made for Brady playing with Stone, but he's proven he can produce at a good 5v5 pace since the TDL without him.

It's very close, I take Tyler right now, Brady in the future.

Reactions: Dr Salt

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Lol right now..

So this poll is basically asking if we can call Bertuzzi a better player for the next week, basically. I can't see anyone logically thinking that Brady is not going to be better player from the time the puck hits the ice for the first time next season. Hes a beast and will be a top 5-10 winger.

And this is from a fan of Bertuzzi (Sudbury what up) whos really happy to see him put it all together and make a big impact. Todd was a real late bloomer too, so it wont be surprising at all to see him continue to develop into a great top 6 guy.

But still not on the same level as Brady, imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsforever

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I think Tyler is the better player right now, but Brady has a very high ceiling and I believe he will eventually become better.

Brady- 2.02 5v5 p/60, 1.89 5v5 p1/60
Tyler- 2.22 5v5 p/60, 1.38 5v5 p1/60

Tyler has also produced pretty consistently 5v5 when he wasn't playing with Larkin, he was playing on a line with Glendening and Rasmussen and had 17 5v5 pts within about a month and a half stretch, so he's definitely not just being carried by Larkin, although obviously his possession metrics and production is better when playing on Larkin's line.

A similar argument can be made for Brady playing with Stone, but he's proven he can produce at a good 5v5 pace since the TDL without him.

It's very close, I take Tyler right now, Brady in the future.
I agree 100% with this. While Bertuzzi is better rn I have no doubt Brady is the better player from next season and beyond.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Lol right now..

So this poll is basically asking if we can call Bertuzzi a better player for the next week, basically. I can't see anyone logically thinking that Brady is not going to be better player from the time the puck hits the ice for the first time next season. Hes a beast and will be a top 5-10 winger.

And this is from a fan of Bertuzzi (Sudbury what up) whos really happy to see him put it all together and make a big impact. Todd was a real late bloomer too, so it wont be surprising at all to see him continue to develop into a great top 6 guy.

Brady Tkachuk is a great player, but saying he will be a top 5-10 winger is a stretch.

Reactions: Dominance

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Brady Tkachuk is a great player, but saying he will be a top 5-10 winger is a stretch.

Not at all. Hes 100% old time hockey, and you simply cant quantify how many other good that he brings to the table for his team other than scoring, which he already seems to do exceptionally well. Both he and his brother are the most valuable forwards on their teams, despite being "less talented" in the eyes of scoreboard watchers.

But Im not going to bother debasing that point. Hes invaluable to the Sens, and I wont be surprised if he rises to the very top tier of wingers.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Tyler has show growth and progress at every level and elevates his game when it matters in the playoffs. He's clearly the better player right now. Whether or not Brady is able to pass him isn't what this poll is about.

Reactions: NotLeddy

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Not at all. Hes 100% old time hockey, and you simply cant quantify how many other good that he brings to the table for his team other than scoring, which he already seems to do exceptionally well. Both he and his brother are the most valuable forwards on their teams, despite being "less talented" in the eyes of scoreboard watchers.

But Im not going to bother debasing that point. Hes invaluable to the Sens, and I wont be surprised if he rises to the very top tier of wingers.
You can use the "he brings so much more to the table than scoring" statement to make players better than they really are for so many skaters. Also Gaudreau is the more valuable forward on Calgary. Saying Matthew Tkachuk is the 2nd-4th most valuable forward on the Flames is more reasonable.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018

Bertuzzi does all those things too. He's the best forechecker on the Red Wings, he works hard every night, he's battling in front of the net, scoring greasy goals, making plays/passes, he does all the same intangibles that Brady does and makes him invaluable, that's why they're being compared in a poll, because they're similar players. They both are highly skilled agitators who play the game eeirly similarly right now.

The fact that Tkachuk at 19 has a very similar rounded out game and 5v5 production as Bertuzzi (which Tyler has an edge, but he gets more than secondary assists than Tkachuk, so Tkachuk gets more primary points) at 24 speaks volumes about his ceiling and how good he's going to become in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Salt

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You can use the "he brings so much more to the table than scoring" statement to make players better than they really are for so many skaters. Also Gaudreau is the more valuable forward on Calgary. Saying Matthew Tkachuk is the 2nd-4th most valuable forward on the Flames is more reasonable.

And thats how we can tell that your basically just a stats watcher..

Ask Flames fans and I bet you 55-60% of them will say Tkachuk is the MVP of their forwards. Did you realize that he's all by himself on the 2nd line while the other 3 are together on the 1st line, but that he's still basically maintaining a point per game rate?

And the fact that you could even suggest that Monahan or Lindholm might be better than Tkachuk shows exactly how bad your assessment skills are... Not trying to be rude, sorry.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018

Ask Flames fans and I bet you 55-60% of them will say Tkachuk is the MVP of their forwards. Did you realize that he's all by himself on the 2nd line while the other 3 are together on the 1st line, but that he's still basically maintaining a point per game rate?

And the fact that you could even suggest that Monahan or Lindholm might be better than Tkachuk shows exactly how bad your assessment skills are... Not trying to be rude, sorry.
I never even suggested Monahan or Lindholm could be better lmao. I never said that what I thought myself.

You are throwing words in my mouth. Also how come majority of the Flames fans hype up Gaudreau for Hart if 55-60% of them think Tkachuk is their MVP of their forwards? Yes, I did realize Tkachuk was on the 2nd line and nothing I said suggest that I wasn't aware of that factor.

The fact you called me a stats watcher and you make multiple assumption out of thin air shows exactly how ignorant you are... Not trying to be rude, sorry.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I never even suggested Monahan or Lindholm could be better lmao. I never said that what I thought myself.

You are throwing words in my mouth. Also how come majority of the Flames fans hype up Gaudreau for Hart if 55-60% of them think Tkachuk is their MVP of their forwards? Yes, I did realize Tkachuk was on the 2nd line and nothing I said suggest that I wasn't aware of that factor.

The fact you called me a stats watcher and you make multiple assumption out of thin air shows exactly how ignorant you are... Not trying to be rude, sorry.

Lol @ putting words in your mouth. So when you said this, what players were you referring to?

Saying Matthew Tkachuk is the 2nd-4th most valuable forward on the Flames is more reasonable.

SO yes, unless you were talking about Backlund or Frolik, you seem to be implying that Matthew could be anywhere from #2-4 on the flames forward rankings (ie you are suggesting that he could be ranked behind Monahan and Lindholm by making that statement).

Nice try though....

Last edited:

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Lol @ putting words in your mouth. So when you said this, what players were you referring to?

SO yes, unless you were talking about Backlund or Frolik, you seem to be implying that Matthew could be anywhere from #2-4 on the flames forward rankings (ie you are suggesting that he could be ranked behind Monahan and Lindholm by making that statement).

Nice try though....
I said #2-4 because I would assume that would be the consensus rankings in term of value, which it is. I would probaly have both Monahan and Tkachuk ahead of Lindholm. I would also have Tkachuk ahead of Monahan in term of being more valuable for the Flames. However it not as clear cut as you would like to believe.

Anyways next time you accuse someone of "stat watching" provide your reasoning. Me not agreeing with your beliefs where Brady is a top 5-10 winger doesn't make me a stat watcher. Anyways I'm done with this convo and I hope you enjoy your day!

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

I said #2-4 because I would assume that would be the consensus rankings in term of value, which it is. I would probaly have both Monahan and Tkachuk ahead of Lindholm. I would also have Tkachuk ahead of Monahan in term of being more valuable for the Flames. However it not as clear cut as you would like to believe.

Anyways next time you accuse someone of "stat watching" provide your reasoning. Me not agreeing with your beliefs where Brady is a top 5-10 winger doesn't make me a stat watcher. Anyways I'm done with this convo and I hope you enjoy your day!

1) Gaudreau
2) Tkachuk

Lindholm and Monahan are interchangeable at 3-4

Gaudreau and Tkachuk are clearly 1 and 2, but Gaudreau is also very clearly #1

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Lol right now..

Cheers fellow Sudbury resident! :DD

As for the poll. I made it knowing that Brady will most likely be the better player. The question was more for this season. Very similar statline, same type of player. Felt like a very good comparison and close enough to make a poll.

Reactions: Samsquanch

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

It's a lot easier to put up numbers on a stacked line than all alone on the second.

You acknowledge this, yet don't seem to factor it, which is strange.

It was a lot easier for the pizza line(spezza/alfeedsson/heatley) to put up 100 point paces than it was to have someone put up near a PPG by themselves on the second line.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
NOW? Bertuzzi. But Tkachuk is undoubtedly way more valuable going forward.

If Bertuzzi can agitate the way he does and still be a regular 45-55 point player, Bertuzzi is great, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad