GDT: AZ Coyotes @ CO Avs TIME: 7PM

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Not certain. But let's also be real here - just how many times in a season do we see a perfectly placed missed shot that winds up rebounding back to another player for a goal?

I will say that in the times that I was watching the games live (I sat in the corners on the end the 'Yotes shot twice on), I maybe saw 10 such goals. Maybe. In about close to 160 games over 4.5 seasons, including playoffs. Not saying that a player or team doesn't attempt to use the back wall behind the net, but the probability of it working seems rather slim. I'd almost suggest that more goals are scored like that by way of accident/fortunate bounce, rather than any planned play. If Yandle is using that as part of his offensive repertoire, wouldn't that speak to the attempts of trying too hard to make his vision become reality on the ice?
It doesn't often result in goals directly but another way of moving the puck is always good. I doubt it makes a huge difference, I was legitimately curious. I'm not a big stats guy in hockey in general, it's so hard to account for all the variables but they are good tools still. I am always curious about what the include how they're calculated etc.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I was a peewee(I think?) in grade school. Roller for a season too. Does that make me more or less credible? How many seasons of ice hockey would one have to play to understand how a children's game works? Or is it the level? Have to go to high school level? Or will adult rec league suffice? Does playing old fart beer league make you a hockey genius? Break this down for us. Make a chart. I'm very anxious to see where this goes Jake.

Playing a sport is like going to school, you learn as you go. If you played hockey, at any level, or any sport as far as that goes, makes you more creditable than someone just watching the game from the couch who has never played the game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
These are true statements but it does not mean that someone from the couch can not have an expert opinion that Tyson Nash does not know how to perform color commentary or Wayne Gretzky doesn't know how to coach in the NHL because the person making the statement has never played hockey. It does not mean that someone, can't be a GM, owner, coach, scout, etc. in the NHL because they've never played hockey.

Mezzanine_290.jpg.fit.344x192.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, if you haven't performed color commentary you do not have an expert opinion on color commentary. You have an opinion, like the rest of us which is just fine.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is pretty ridiculous. Everyone's allowed to have their opinion and discuss things.

It's entirely different, and pretty bold to immediately discredit other people who don't agree with you and to act as if you're in some kind of exclusive all knowing club where you assume the rest of us are small peons who don't understand what hockey is or haven't played it. I played competitive growing up and still play in a men's league, I'm sure many others have. I don't for one second discredit anyone else's opinion because they might not have "laced up the skates." I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there with a better understanding of the game with far less actual experience than me, and to think otherwise is ignorant.

This is a hockey forum for pete's sake. I'd hope people taking the time to post here are at least somewhat knowledgeable/invested in the sport.

Of course we are all allowed to have our own opinions and discussions. Not once did I say or think I'm in some kind of exclusive or assume the rest are small peons. I don't discredit anyone's opinion, because at the end of the day that is all it is. But I disagree with you if you think that someone who has never played the game and watches from the couch is as creditable as the one who has, does not make sense to me, and that is my opinion.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He's a gunslingher no doubt, but I don't agree that the negatives outweigh the positives. Do you really think he'd still be on this conservative team, if they did?

OEL or Yandle? Keep 'em both, we've got something ridiculously dynamic there.

Agreed.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Enough! Everyone in the Coyotes forum is pretty!

Group hug Kihekah?

Returning to semantics...

As far as I'm concerned, if you haven't performed color commentary you do not have an expert opinion on color commentary. You have an opinion, like the rest of us which is just fine.
You may be right. As far as I can tell Doug Cannon has never been a television color commentator for hockey which is probably why he is unqualified to decide whether or not Tyson Nash should be on staff as only color commentators can be experts on color commentating.
http://srichter1913.weebly.com/doug-cannon-living-the-dream.html

Last edited:

Karlkarotte

Jul 24, 2013
Group hug Kihekah?

Returning to semantics...

You may be right. As far as I can tell Doug Cannon has never been a television color commentator for hockey which is probably why he is unqualified to decide whether or not Tyson Nash should be on staff as only color commentators can be experts on color commentating.
http://srichter1913.weebly.com/doug-cannon-living-the-dream.html

lol you do know what an expert is right? You can't become an expert at something if you have never done it before. Just my 2 cents.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
lol you do know what an expert is right? You can't become an expert at something if you have never done it before. Just my 2 cents.

Expertise is more a function of time and a wealth of knowledge, not simply showing up to play. Unless you think your average ball hockey player knows more about the game than Bob McKenzie, who never played at a high level. Hitchcock also never really played at any meaningful level. You think you know more than him?

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Expertise is more a function of time and a wealth of knowledge, not simply showing up to play. Unless you think your average ball hockey player knows more about the game than Bob McKenzie, who never played at a high level. Hitchcock also never really played at any meaningful level. You think you know more than him?

You're acting the fool again, by reducing your agrument to the absurd.

Why do you do that?

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Why bother?

Minds here never change. All that will be left is the lack of confidence in those that should lack confidence and knowledge and confidnece will remain in those that already have it.

Still deflecting..just say you you don't want to answer the question. Stop beating around the bush and taking 10 step to not answer a simple question. Either say I don't want to answer it or just answer it

DBAP

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Button had an interesting segment last night.

Building a team is done in tiers:
Tier 1 - the base. need 3 D. 2 top 2 guys and a solid guy in that 3-5 spot.
tier 2 - 2 C's who can carry the load.
tier 3 - a reliable goalie
tier 4 - 2 additional forwards
Tier 5 - another player; either a top 4 D for stability or another forward who can contribute offensively.

It's just a glorified summary of the Bill Torey model (of which Maloney is a disciple of). But when you see the endless stream of offers for OEL (who is a tier1 player) for wingers (tier 4) you have a clearer understanding why these wouldn't be as highly thought of as the stats may indicate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad