Awful noise when Latvia plays

burgundynblue

Aug 7, 2005
Muscle Bob said:
What opponent do u mean ? Hockey players ? I don't think that they think about it on ice.
Oh believe me they think. It's that fan support which inspires the team and drives opponents crazy.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
Sakaarnis said:
I realy dont get you guys. Im i only one whose not annoyed by those horns?

What is good about them then? Make people get headaches? Because the sounds aren't cool if you think that, a good crowd can make sounds without horns, any moron can use a horn.

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
Ehh, complains, insults all over the place. As i said, i dont mind horns, i agree thats not the best way to cheer, but you need very good organization of supporters and traditions to sing songs like football fans. But im happy that our hockey fans are different of thos in footabll as traditionaly they are agressive, they booh anything the opponent does etc.

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
www.russianhockeyfans.com
motojime said:
Oh believe me they think. It's that fan support which inspires the team and drives opponents crazy.
Yes, fan support is good. But its not support. Do you think that when latvian player hears this horn, he get inspired, and player from other team get mad ? :)
How do latvian players should understand that this support is for them ? :)

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Sakaarnis said:
But im happy that our hockey fans are different of thos in footabll as traditionaly they are agressive, they booh anything the opponent does etc.

Way to generalize! :shakehead

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
GermanGirl said:
Way to generalize! :shakehead

Aight chill, i know i know not all of them are so agressive etc. Still, its very usual to see football fans fighting after games, throwing things on pitch etc. You can call em, hardcore fans, but those are the fans who sing the loudest, stomp and clap loudest.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
Not a single Latvian hockey player has complained about the horns. Once they do, I think the fans will cease it, and will start singing songs instead.
But you must know, people, that there is a difference between hockey and football fans and cheering traditions. I was watching a Denmark - Canada and Danish fans were singing football songs, sounded like it. I mean no disrespect, but that is not appropriate for Ice hockey.

Icekube

Feb 22, 2006
Richmond VA
Here is a great alternative to horns, gets a recording of Miss Sharapova's screams and play them on a boombox or something. It's known how female tennis players affect certain hockey players and it's darn loud too. :joker:

In the Doghouse

Jan 22, 2003
Finland
Visit site
motojime said:

I don't think it drives opponents crazy any more than home team because it's not cheering or supporting, just big noise! Finnish goalie Antero Niittymäki said today that he liked the atmosphere and the noise Latvian fans were making with those horns, even though it was hard to communicate with defenders at the beginning of the game because of that noise. Luckily T. Kallio got them to quiet down...

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Like Wall said:
I was watching a Denmark - Canada and Danish fans were singing football songs, sounded like it. I mean no disrespect, but that is not appropriate for Ice hockey.

Well, I totally disagree. In Germany and German (and swiss) hockey matches the fans sing and chant and have drums and I do think it's apppropriate. A lot of songs are different though and are not being sung at football games, some are being sung at both.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
We have also drummers. We had some of the biggest fans in Torino. It's just that you can't hear the drums here because of the horns. But they are there, on every game

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
Like Wall said:
Not a single Latvian hockey player has complained about the horns. Once they do, I think the fans will cease it, and will start singing songs instead.
But you must know, people, that there is a difference between hockey and football fans and cheering traditions. I was watching a Denmark - Canada and Danish fans were singing football songs, sounded like it. I mean no disrespect, but that is not appropriate for Ice hockey.

Don't agree with that, look at what the Swiss-fans do, they sing and create a great athmosphere, in Sweden we have singing too and it is MUCH better than horns.

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Are the horns you're talking about those ones that belch out those long, annoying "FWOOAAAAARRRRPP!" sounds?
Yeah...those are pretty annoying.
<)-:{

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Just got a throbbing headache after watching Sweden - Italy. Apparantly the Latvian part of the audience brought their horns with them and used them through every one of the 60 minutes of the game. I don't mind Latvians destroying their own games but I wish they could show some consideration when they visit other nations' games. :rant:

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
Like Wall said:
Apparently those weren't only latvians. Cos we don't give a flying **** about Sweden

They waved latvians flags, didnt see a single swede or italian (not that I saw any italians at all) with a horn... Yeah it was a real pain to watch through with that sound, I can only imagine what will happen in the quarterfinals and on, bring lots of painkillers for those games.

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
Sick of this... For shrist sakes, get over it. Call us stupid, call us uncultured i dont care. Cmon latvians, blow those horns louder. :propeller

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
GermanGirl said:
So are you sick of this or don't you care?!

What a way to get back at me. Bravo! :clap: Im sick of this discussion and i dont care if ppl on this board think that latvian supporters are stupid morons.

Last edited:

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
You are the only one saying those things about latvians, the rest of us just dont like the horns. Some self-hate going on from your side? ;)

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
yarre said:
You are the only one saying those things about latvians, the rest of us just dont like the horns. Some self-hate going on from your side? ;)

Not realy. You see, when you say "any idiot can blow a horn, but only a great fan will just sing" and we agree that almoust all latvian supporters have a horn to blow into, theyre all idiots. Sure, i could be wrong :help:

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
So did you guys always use those horns?

I really can't remember. When the WC took place in Germany everyone loved the Latvians fans because they were the best, they came over in huge groups, they were loud, they were partying, they were just awesome but I really don't remember any horns.

So either it's because the Latvian fans didn't use them or it was because they were not so many, I don't know.

All I know is that I find the fraking horns so annoying it makes it hard for me to watch the games, it's like sitting next to a wasp's nest for 2 hours.

I'm totally sure the Latvian fans are able to produce an awesome atmosphere and support their team without these things right out of hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->