Awful Celebrity Broadcasts – from Best to Worst in the Booth, Too?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
They were actually much better last night. Jim gave Alex some room to breathe and he called the game. You could hear Jim holding back and it worked.

My friend remarked after the game "Wow! Even though we lost, I am still excited" Well, I guess that can happen when you know what is going on in the game.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
They were actually much better last night. Jim gave Alex some room to breathe and he called the game. You could hear Jim holding back and it worked.

I was going to comment the same. Jim on ice level and those two not sitting next to each other brought a totally different dynamic that was way better.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
They genuinely seem proud of the Snoop Dogg et al. debacle. They can't stop reminding us of it in later broadcasts. There was once again a snippet of it, with Faust grinning ghoulishly from ear to ear (I know, his paycheck demands it), a few minutes ago in the 2nd intermission of the game in Dallas. And even in the NBC broadcast which you guys praised, they couldn't help boasting of Snoop Dogg in the booth.

This lets us fear the worst: that the inane celebrity broadcasts will continue. :help: I suppose I'll be switching away to the other team's broadcast whenever that happens in future.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Having a Ron Burgundy segment would be fun. I don't mind the celebrity bits. They are trying something new and that's fine with me.

Blaspheme!!! No one should ever have fun in a broadcast booth, it should be Player A passes to Player B who shot on Goalie C, rebound to Player C who gives it up to Player A.....all in a monotone robotic voice....background information, personal stories, no place for them.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Strawman much? No one here, as far as I can see, has been arguing against the delivery of "background information and personal stories", as long as they're delivered by a person competent in hockey, such as Bob Miller.

If it's just a random celebrity who, in terms of hockey, is an ordinary hockey fan like any HFBoards poster, and only got into the broadcast booth because they're assumed to be a "celebrity", it's travesty.

And again, it comes down to your idea of "fun". What some folks consider "fun" makes other people cringe or weep... or switch to the opposing team's broadcast.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Strawman much? No one here, as far as I can see, has been arguing against the delivery of "background information and personal stories", as long as they're delivered by a person competent in hockey, such as Bob Miller.

If it's just a random celebrity who, in terms of hockey, is an ordinary hockey fan like any HFBoards poster, and only got into the broadcast booth because they're assumed to be a "celebrity", it's travesty.

And again, it comes down to your idea of "fun". What some folks consider "fun" makes other people cringe or weep... or switch to the opposing team's broadcast.

Why? Or are you just using travesty as a catchall?

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
As someone said: Kopitar isn't joining Snoop Dogg on the stage to sing a song, and Snoop Dogg shouldn't be joining professional broadcasters to call play-by-play. Simple as that. Intermission interviews are fine with me (as has also been noted previously by others).

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
As someone said: Kopitar isn't joining Snoop Dogg on the stage to sing a song, and Snoop Dogg shouldn't be joining professional broadcasters to call play-by-play. Simple as that. Intermission interviews are fine with me (as has also been noted previously by others).

So it's a "travesty" because you don't like it? Gotcha lol

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
No, it's because the dictionary definition of "travesty" is "an inept imitation of something" – in the case of "celebrities", an inept imitation of hockey play-by-play. (In reality, a disruption of it.)

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Jeez, they can't give it a rest, can they? Within the first minute of today's pregame show, Faust gleefully announced "the best of Snoop". :help:

This goes to show how much damage that single "celebrity bit" has wreaked: it disrupted not only the coverage of that particular game, but I suppose they'll now be showing re-runs of it until well into the summer. :eek:

This inanity must be stopped right here while there is still time to stop it, or otherwise these gimmicks will become the trademark of Kings broadcasts.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Having a Ron Burgundy segment would be fun.

Pardon me? Last night's broadcast was the low point of the entire season. I want to watch HOCKEY, not desperate failed attempts at a comedy show. Absolutely unbearable, excruciating. :mad:

If for nothing else, the Kings deserved the disaster of this season for allowing this to happen to their broadcasts. And they deserve to fall as low in the lottery as can possibly be.

Bob Miller would never, ever have permitted this. They'd never dare to do this to him. I had a higher opinion of Fox – I didn't know he was such a clown (a sad, painfully unfunny clown).

Fire everyone for next season, the entire broadcast team. Fox, Faust, O'Neal, just everyone. Anyone who agreed to participate in this season's broadcast atrocities should not return for next season. Good of O'Donnell for having pulled out of this.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Pardon me? Last night's broadcast was the low point of the entire season. I want to watch HOCKEY, not desperate failed attempts at a comedy show. Absolutely unbearable, excruciating. :mad:

If for nothing else, the Kings deserved the disaster of this season for allowing this to happen to their broadcasts. And they deserve to fall as low in the lottery as can possibly be.

Bob Miller would never, ever have permitted this. They'd never dare to do this to him. I had a higher opinion of Fox – I didn't know he was such a clown (a sad, painfully unfunny clown).

Fire everyone for next season, the entire broadcast team. Fox, Faust, O'Neal, just everyone. Anyone who agreed to participate in this season's broadcast atrocities should not return for next season. Good of O'Donnell for having pulled out of this.
I’m not an Anchorman fan, but I enjoyed Ferrell’s time on air. This team sucks, and his dogging of the Sharks (no Cups!) was hilarious.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

They had guests during play when Bob Miller was around before. He's just good at controlling the situation. Patrick O'Neil, funny enough, was the better of everyone when interacting with Will's character. He seemed to know how to play off him. Faust and Fox aren't that good at that. Bob was good at playing the straight man.

Reactions: Sleeping Dog

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
They had guests during play when Bob Miller was around before. He's just good at controlling the situation. Patrick O'Neil, funny enough, was the better of everyone when interacting with Will's character. He seemed to know how to play off him. Faust and Fox aren't that good at that. Bob was good at playing the straight man.
Faust and Fox just aren't funny, that's why. Their jokes are just awful.

BUT, I will say I enjoy listening to Faust when he isn't going off on other topics. I think he's doing a fine job. He'll never be Bob Miller but that's expected.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

You want to watch hockey and you're tuning in a Kings game?

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I’m not an Anchorman fan, but I enjoyed Ferrell’s time on air. This team sucks, and his dogging of the Sharks (no Cups!) was hilarious.

It wasn't. There's nothing less hilarious and more painful than to witness someone desperately trying to be funny just because they're paid to and expected to be funny. Pathetic. :thumbd:

Another ruined broadcast last night. I should delete the question mark from the title of this thread, because it's official now: the Kings do have the worst NHL broadcasts this season, and it ain't close. Are they going to torture us like this for every remaining home game of the season now? The Kings deserve to get the worst possible lottery pick (that is, not the highest) and lose every single game next season, too, if they don't stop this monstrosity.

And no, in my many years of watching the Kings, I can't remember Bob Miller ever having permitted this kind of disruption of game coverage. It used to be, at most, intermission interviews, or perhaps a couple of minutes while the game was in progress, not entire periods ruined with excruciating failed attempts at humor. :ha:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad