Awesome tidbit of Babcock/Glendening news

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I don't know how long he is signed for but I would prefer Tallon to take over instead of Nill. We no longer need more of the same with rose colored glasses on. We as fans of a organization need fresh, objective eyes who can take over and run things imho.

Glendy as trade bait isn't really worth it unless someone overpays for a 4th line shut down center and realistically I cannot see any team offering a 2nd round pick or better for him.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I don't know how long he is signed for but I would prefer Tallon to take over instead of Nill. We no longer need more of the same with rose colored glasses on. We as fans of a organization need fresh, objective eyes who can take over and run things imho.

Glendy as trade bait isn't really worth it unless someone overpays for a 4th line shut down center and realistically I cannot see any team offering a 2nd round pick or better for him.

Tallon? The same guy that thought it was a good idea to trade Vegas R.Smith to make sure they took Marchessault. No thanks

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
He built up the hawks who had nothing into cup winners. And has since built Florida into a decent team. Objectively what do the wings have in the pipeline #1 c or d wise? We probably have a #2 c in Larkin but other than that the wings cupboards are beyond bare.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Tallon? The same guy that thought it was a good idea to trade Vegas R.Smith to make sure they took Marchessault. No thanks

I think it's the other way around. Florida left Marchessault available because Vegas was willing to take the Smith contract in trade. My impression was it was a cost saving move pushed in part by ownership.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I think it's the other way around. Florida left Marchessault available because Vegas was willing to take the Smith contract in trade. My impression was it was a cost saving move pushed in part by ownership.

Either way it was a terrible move. If Yzerman is not available lets find someone new.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

It was all but confirmed, most of the hockey media said it was a salary move. Unfortunately for the Vrbata has been terrible. But going out and getting Dadonov from Russia wasn't a bad move.

The Panthers are going to make the post-season in my opinion and they are a dangerous team. Tallon pulled that off while being told to dump salary and clean up the mess Rowe left behind. He still found a way to put it back together, that has been an impressive job.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
It might have been but if that's what the owner is telling you to do it's what you do. I'm not sure how you hold ownership's demands against Tallon.

The year before be traded away most of his blueline away. He has not done a great job with Florida.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The year before be traded away most of his blueline away. He has not done a great job with Florida.

How many GM's are going to be able to do a great job, when ownership says cut the payroll? This is similar to when Doug McLean was in Columbus and ownership told him to trade away good players for peanuts to save a measly $800,000.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Tallon already left a team he helped build right before they got really good. While I obviously don’t see Florida being as good as Chicago was, you still gotta assume he’ll want to see how the young, talented, team he helped build will turn out, rather than go to a mess of a situation like Detroit.

An original 6 selling point can only go far when there is that big of a talent descrepency, and then you have real life concerns like him being already setteled in Florida for awhile now and taxes.

Don’t see many reasons why, unless he really wants the prestige of working for an 06 team.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Tallon already left a team he helped build right before they got really good. While I obviously don’t see Florida being as good as Chicago was, you still gotta assume he’ll want to see how the young, talented, team he helped build will turn out, rather than go to a mess of a situation like Detroit.

An original 6 selling point can only go far when there is that big of a talent descrepency, and then you have real life concerns like him being already setteled in Florida for awhile now and taxes.

Don’t see many reasons why, unless he really wants the prestige of working for an 06 team.

There is no salary cap for management position. Detroit can just offer him more money. I doubt he is the highest paid GM in the league.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

The blueline mess was Tom Rowe, the guy ownership moved into Tallon's place for a few months before realizing they made an awful mistake. Tallon is definitely not without faults, I think he was the one who screwed up the RFA offer sheets in Chicago that saw some guys hitting UFA instead of RFA, but the guy's done exceptionally well at what we need - stocking bad clubs with gobs of talent and preparing them to make a run at the top of the league.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Rowe traded away his blue-line. Florida made the perplexing move of handing all the control over to Rowe who did tremendous damage in his one year in charge. Including chasing off Gallant so he could coach the team, that wasn't on Tallon.

The RFA things was a really bad move.

But outside of that it is hard to say he has done a ton wrong over the years. I would not be against paying Tallon big bucks and having him as our GM. He is one of the more attractive names we have discussed to be honest. He also is a guy I think can handle filling Holland's very large organizational shoes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->