Awesome article by Corey Hirsch

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by loudi94, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loudi94

loudi94 Master of my Domain

Child Tamer
    http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/Sports/2004/10/30/693055.html

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  2. eye

eye Registered User

Home Page:
    I hope what goes around comes around. I want to see the NHLPA squashed and I will pay to see replacement players that play in the NHL for less money and for the love of the game. Not because they feel out of principal that they can't accept a salary cap. :banghead: :shakehead

3. Carl Spackler

Carl Spackler Registered User

The NHLers playing in Europe will really have no leg to stand on if the NHL does bring in replacement players. I predict it'll take about a week after that happens for the players to abandon their principles and play where they can make the most cash....After all the leadership of the union is about nothing more than looking out for #1...Otherwise they wouldn't be putting 150-200 good paying NHL jobs at risk through their pig-headed insistence on continuing to operate under a system that is clearly broken.

The NHLPA has had their cake and eaten it for the last 10 years and should be able to realize that the pendulem has finally swung the other way.....

4. Jaysfanatic*

Jaysfanatic* Guest

I read it this morning, this is what bothered me:

Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer gets bumped by Darryl Strawberry.

DAAAARRYL........DAAAAARRYL.

5. loudi94

Child Tamer
    Ahh, but remember who was responsible for winning the big game at the end. ;) First time I've ever seen someone get knocked out by a pitch in a softball game. :lol

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  6. YellHockey*

YellHockey* Guest

Hirsch is blaming the wrong people.

The owners are the ones who are causing all the players to play in Europe. If not for the lockout, Hirsch would still be playing in games.

He's also pretty inconsistant in some other aspects of the story.

According to hockeydb.com he only came over before last season. And he was playing in Sweden last year and he's in the Swiss League this year.

And how much has Hirsch earned in his hockey career so far? He's probably earned over $2M in his career. Does he need the money that badly?

And isn't he getting paid rather well for sitting on the bench?

Oh, a big sob story about how his wife can't watch him play. Once again, according to hockeydb.com, he only played 5 games last year. He was beaten out by a European. What's to say that it wouldn't happen again this year?

And whose choice is it to sign them? The owners of the Euro leagues.

7. Natural Habs Fan

Natural Habs Fan Registered User

Business Manager
    I have to say that I agree with Corey. The NHL players are acting like a bunch of spoiled kids.

Either way, at this point I really don't care if there is an NHL season anymore. I'm going to find it hard to cheer for these guys for a while.

8. thinkwild

thinkwild Veni Vidi Toga

Well I can understand what Corey is feeling. But again, the European team owners are hiring these guys. Why? Because thats what competitive sport is all about. Everyone wants the best players on their team. And these players can generate and therefore earn large money. The nature of sports is that if you get cut you are out of a job. Its not the same sort of security you get in other jobs in competitive sports. The whole point is that you are always competing and only the best make it. The ones cut and their pregnant wives have to find another job.

It is tough, but they are locked out. If they were on strike and these European players that were dumped from the European teams want to cross the line, fair enough.

9. Jaysfanatic*

Jaysfanatic* Guest

Hi Bob Goodenow, what's going on?

10. bling

bling Registered User

Waa Waa, Corey Hirsch...who's job did you take when you signed with this Euro team? Yup, that's right, most likely a European goalie.

Are you not a Canadian? Did you not wash out of the NHL so you went to Europe to play? Are the ones you are calling scabs not have a job due to management decisions much like you?

I can not believe the whining audacity of this second rate goalie to complain about NHLers taking his job when he has not a leg to stand on. Any team, be it North American, European, Chinese, Australian or whatever wants the best available talent at any given time. If you can't make the grade shut up and sit in the stands!

11. oilers_guy_eddie

oilers_guy_eddie Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?

Home Page:
    Have you cleared that with Chris Pronger?

12. Seachd

Seachd Registered User

Home Page:
    No, these teams have spots for foreigners.

How are they forcing the players to go to Europe? Gun to the head? Legal action? Fingernails on a chalkboard?

If you can say that, then I can, with just as much validity, say that the players are causing it themselves, because: 1) They refuse to recognize the state of the league, and negociate a reasonable CBA, and 2) They're making the decision to play in Europe all on their own.

13. bling

bling Registered User

So why would a team not want to use these "spots for foreigners" on the best foreigner available? Corey Hirsch is less talented than his replacement, simple fact of hockey life, people want to see the most talented players. Owners get the best players they can get to please their fanbase. Corey (The Loser) Hirsch has no right to complain.

14. Digger12

Digger12 Gold Fever

Technical Analyst
    So did denigrating him and calling a 'loser' make his point any less valid?

If you think he has no right to complain, fine....surivival of the fittest and all that. By that same token, the NHLPA is setting themselves up to look like the world's biggest hypocrites if they raise one word of complaint against replacement players that include someone like Hirsch. I mean, it's just owners getting the best players they can get to please their fanbase, right?

15. loudi94

Child Tamer

That is exactly the point. When Pronger opened his yap about "scabs" playing in the NHL, it became very clear who the hypocrates are in this situation.

16. bling

bling Registered User

My point is, he has no point. He was playing in Europe because he was not good enough to play in the NHL. So, obviously when NHL quality players are available to his team the owners are going to chose the BETTER player!

All of your union bashing is interesting too...If the Euro leagues had a union for their players perhaps it would not be so easy for these locked out NHLer's to waltz in and take the jobs.....

17. SopelFan*

SopelFan* Guest

Welcome to competitive sports, Corey.

18. YellHockey*

YellHockey* Guest

They're preventing them from playing in their usual league. If your employer locked you out with no pay, would you just sit at home and twiddle your thumbs or would you go out and look for some other employment?

Recognize the state of the league? The same state the owners have been crying about for decades?

The owners have clearly decided upon a strategy of having an impasse declared so that they can impose the CBA of their choosing on the players. How can the players negotiate when the other side isn't willing to do anything more then keep up appearances so that they can declare an impasse?

19. Sotnos

Sotnos Registered User

Home Page:
    Sometimes I think he has 5 different accounts on here. :)

20. Seachd

Seachd Registered User

Home Page:
    You can't say that until the Union makes a decent offer. They haven't come close yet.

21. brucegarrioch

brucegarrioch Registered User

That would depend on if I'm making a three million dollar salary, or a fifty-five thousand dollar salary.

22. handtrick

handtrick Registered User

hand surgeon
    I think the NHLPA would be foolish NOT to have some accounts active here.....you can bet your bottom dollar or loonie, that players are surfing through here to keep track of sentiment as they do on their official team message boards.

In fact, that may be a good thread to start...."What 5 accounts are most likely, in fact, Bob Goodenow and his lackeys".........

23. Steve L*

Steve L* Registered User

Home Page:
    If I had already earned the millions that the NHLers already have then Id either go on a round the world holiday or do something constructive like play in that charity league.

Id feel very crappy about taking a living away from somebody else who needs the money when I could keep in shape and play for kids charities.

24. Riddarn

Riddarn 1980-2011

Nobody is forcing the european clubs to hire NHL help. But the fact of the matter is that the system of lower tier leagues and the risk of relegation makes it very hard for at team to compete without them should even only one of the other teams in the league start hiring outside help. Getting relegated to the second tier league means economical disaster for a team and you'll probably loose much of what you have worked for over several years in terms of player material and fan base. Then think about this: Some of the swedish nhl:ers are playing for FREE for their old team, or for very low sums just to cover their basic needs. The fans love the players and no team would want to look like a bunch of jerks to their fans and screw them from getting the same NHL starpower as the fans of the other teams are getting.

25. Brent Burns Beard

Brent Burns Beard DontTouchMyDonskoi!

1) another lie
    2) the owners make the decision all on their own how much to pay a player in the expired CBA.

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.