Away teams are doing too well this playoffs

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Its just unfair to the paying customers. I mean, I don't think we've ever seen away teams dominate to this sort of level.

This is a special playoffs, something we could tell our kids about. The 2017 playoffs, the playoffs where being on the road was the true advantage.

If you buy a ticket to watch a game when you know the home team will win, what's the point of playing the game?

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
I think the biggest flaw in your calculation is the assumption that teams that enter the playoffs with more points in the standings are actually significantly better, or better at all.

Hockey is a pretty random game. Lots of luck involved. There's no shortage of teams that finished ahead in the standings over better teams by talent or predictive underlying metrics, this year or any other year.

And in a parity league, the difference between the top seeds and the bottom seeds, let alone the difference between starting at home or on the road, can be negligible or even misleading.

That is why I put "better team" in quotes. They were the better regular season team obviously.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I know right? Chicago never even got to hear the glory that is Chelsea dagger.

But seriously as a Nashville fan I've been pleased with our home games.... *Knocking on wood*

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Nashville must be the exception that proves the rule.
1. Sold out
2. Highest priced tickets in the playoffs (by a mile!)
3. Loudest building in the league (also not at all affected by said ticket prices)
4.Seeded 8th (actually 16th to be truthful)
4. Undefeated at home ( no jinxies, crossing fingers, toes etc., knocks on ALL THE WOOD)

You're right...it's totally unfair :rolleyes:

Mic drop/thread

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Nashville must be the exception that proves the rule.
1. Sold out
2. Highest priced tickets in the playoffs (by a mile!)
3. Loudest building in the league (also not at all affected by said ticket prices)
4.Seeded 8th (actually 16th to be truthful)
4. Undefeated at home ( no jinxies, crossing fingers, toes etc., knocks on ALL THE WOOD)

Mic drop/thread

Actually? Even more than Edmonton? Oilers fans were flying out to San Jose/Anaheim because it was cheaper to fly, stay at a hotel and attend a game there than Oilers (for 2 people).

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Actually? Even more than Edmonton? Oilers fans were flying out to San Jose/Anaheim because it was cheaper to fly, stay at a hotel and attend a game there than Oilers (for 2 people).

This round, the general public prices for nosebleeds started at $227. Lower bowl started at $600

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010

I misspoke, I meant the conference finals. I haven't seen numbers for the rest of the playoffs, but home game #3 tickets in Nashville are averaging $1065 a piece right now according to tick stat. And that's just the AVERAGE price.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Yeah, any proper major league would fix the games for proper entertainment value and so that paying customers would be satisfied, but nooooo, Bettman and co. just sits back and does nothing, ****ing bush league I tell you.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
There isn't a significant home ice advantage in hockey like there is in soccer, for example.

I'm willing to bet that it used be a much larger advantage back when the older buildings were still around with their unique quirks and different dimensions in some instances.

Now, all the rinks are virtually uniform, and the talent has been been diluted to the point where it doesn't really seem to matter anymore in terms of the postseason.

Dewey Eye

Apr 28, 2014
I'm willing to bet that it used be a much larger advantage back when the older buildings were still around with their unique quirks and different dimensions in some instances.

Now, all the rinks are virtually uniform, and the talent has been been diluted to the point where it doesn't really seem to matter anymore in terms of the postseason.

i bet there is also something to the notion that the kind of fans who are notorious for making home venues miserable for visiting players can t afford seats in NHL arenas anymore. All you have there now are people making $100,000+ per year. The riff raff are the loudest ilk. :laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad