Away Sens Fans

Xamar*

Are the Sens starting to build a good away fan base? Just curious to know because I was in EDM for the Sens game in Nov and there were lots of Ottawa fans I'm thinking numbering around 2000. Last year was even more I'd say around 2500 for the game in EDM on March 2014. To me that number is huge because even when we had a good team in 2006, I only remember about maybe 500 to 1000 Sens fans being there that year. Just curious to know how many Sens fan you guys have seen in arenas outside of Ottawa !

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Manitoba has a solid number of sens fans or people who's second team is the sens. It would seem a fair amount of young people adopted the sens as their team during the 2000s and only recently switched back to the jets with their return.

When i was in Winnipeg i went to a preseason jets sens game and there was a few sens fans there.

Last edited:

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
I think there are a few of us scattered around the GTA. A co-worker of mine is from Ottawa so naturally he backs the Sens. Surprisingly I do see the odd Sens jersey when I'm out on the outdoor rink here which always nice. I think tickets are hard to come by for the road games at the ACC. I've only ever been to one Ottawa game here in the time I've lived here and we won 4-2!! :D That game there weren't a lot of Sens fans unfortunately however when I used to live in San Jose it was a completely different story. About roughly 1000-1,500 at the Shark Tank on average and I'm not kidding you on that either!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm fairly sure I represent the majority of Senators fans in Indonesia. There are a couple of diplomats here from the Ottawa area, but other than that, it's just me.

Most of the Canuck expats are all from Alberta (due to Oil & Gas presence here), and therefore are Flames/Oilers/Leafs fans. A few mining expats from northern Ontario (Leafs fans, mostly). A few Canucks fans from the Vancouver contingency... that's about it.

IIRC, there are less than 120 Canadians in Jakarta. We are not a well represented country here.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Based of Bill Clements comments from every from every EA sports game up until they retired him and Gary Thorn,

"The Ottawa Senators are a good young team that's attracted a young fanbase. Theyre good...but theyre young."

He may have been onto something since i believe it was shown that Ottawa and New Jersey have a lot of twitter, social media and internet savvy fans relative to their number of fans.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
There are a surprising amount in Calgary.

It isn't unusual (but also not common) to see someone in a Sens hat or shirt or jersey on a day where the Sens aren't playing in Calgary.

Last edited:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I am surprised at the amount of Sens fans at the Joe in Detroit ever since they moved to the East. Before the East move there'd be a couple in the stands, but now there seems to be a lot more. On non game days though I never see other Sens stuff.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I'm in Toronto and support the senators loud and proud brahh.

2CHHHAAAIIIINNNZZZ

muskratBear

Apr 9, 2012
Winnipeg
Manitoba has a solid number of sens fans or people who's second team is the sens. It would seem a fair amount of young people adopted the sens as their team during the 2000s and only recently switched back to the jets with their return.

When i was in Winnipeg i went to a preseason jets sens game and there was a few sens fans their.

Totally agreed. Been here for about two years, so got to see the Sens play at the MTS centre a few times already and there is always a decent contingent of Sens fans.

Don't think it is in the thousands like in Edm, but the spots of red/black can be seen in the sea of blue/white.

Xamar*

It isn't unusual (but also not common) to see someone in a Sens hat or **** or jersey on a day where the Sens aren't playing in Calgary.

Same in EDM. A Sens hat or sweater are pretty common even though most Sportschek's here in EDM don't even have Sens gear! I went to a Sportschek in Kingsway mall and I gave the employee hell for carrying Flyers gear and no Sens gear. I was pissed.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

It isn't unusual (but also not common) to see someone in a Sens hat or **** or jersey on a day where the Sens aren't playing in Calgary.

Or what? :laugh:

A good friend of mine in Calgary, soon to be a police officer, is a big Sens fan. He's always wearing sens gear around town. At least we'll have the law on our side.

Based of Bill Clements comments from every from every EA sports game up until they retired him and Gary Thorn,

"The Ottawa Senators are a good young team that's attracted a young fanbase. Theyre good...but theyre young."

He may have been onto something since i believe it was shown that Ottawa and New Jersey have a lot of twitter, social media and internet savvy fans relative to their number of fans.

I believe this to be true as well. We have a heavy social media presence for the size of our fanbase. What do you mean by "it was shown", though? Some sort of interwebs study?

Same in EDM. A Sens hat or sweater are pretty common even though most Sportschek's here in EDM don't even have Sens gear! I went to a Sportschek in Kingsway mall and I gave the employee hell for carrying Flyers gear and no Sens gear. I was pissed.

Last time I was in the WE Mall, the local sports store actually had a Sens jersey or two, but that was about it. Not unexpected TBH, it's not like they would sell a ton of Sens gear if they stocked more of it. It's all about the local market.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Or what? :laugh:

A good friend of mine in Calgary, soon to be a police officer, is a big Sens fan. He's always wearing sens gear around town. At least we'll have the law on our side.

I believe this to be true as well. We have a heavy social media presence for the size of our fanbase. What do you mean by "it was shown", though? Some sort of interwebs study?

Last time I was in the WE Mall, the local sports store actually had a Sens jersey or two, but that was about it. Not unexpected TBH, it's not like they would sell a ton of Sens gear if they stocked more of it. It's all about the local market.

Ya it was some sort of internet study. I honestly dont really know how much you can value the results of the study. It was more just a cool thing rather then something that should be law. I dont remember the data they used but i remember a ton of people being surprised at New Jerseys numbers. Some people explained this as new jersey supposedly have a lot a college fans or something.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Ya it was some sort of internet study. I honestly dont really know how much you can value the results of the study. It was more just a cool thing rather then something that should be law. I dont remember the data they used but i remember a ton of people being surprised at New Jerseys numbers. Some people explained this as new jersey supposedly have a lot a college fans or something.

Not surprising, considering the success Jersey had year back. Those kids who became fans are now in college and addicted to Twitter.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think there are a few of us scattered around the GTA. A co-worker of mine is from Ottawa so naturally he backs the Sens. Surprisingly I do see the odd Sens jersey when I'm out on the outdoor rink here which always nice. I think tickets are hard to come by for the road games at the ACC. I've only ever been to one Ottawa game here in the time I've lived here and we won 4-2!! :D That game there weren't a lot of Sens fans unfortunately however when I used to live in San Jose it was a completely different story. About roughly 1000-1,500 at the Shark Tank on average and I'm not kidding you on that either!

When I lived in Toronto i went to the ACC to scalp tickets a couple of times, but they wanted ridiculous prices for seats in the nosebleeds. It was literally cheaper to drive to Ottawa and catch a sens game.

So i just spent the money on beer instead :P Oh college . . . the rivalry was awesome back then too. Sens always won in the regular season, Toronto always won in the playoffs.

Xamar*

Last time I was in the WE Mall, the local sports store actually had a Sens jersey or two, but that was about it. Not unexpected TBH, it's not like they would sell a ton of Sens gear if they stocked more of it. It's all about the local market.[/QUOTE]

Yeh thats true. i just couldn't believe they had flyers gear instead of the Sens tho

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There were more Sens fans earlier this year at Rogers Arena than any other previous game I had attended over the last 5 or 6 years. For the first time ever I was actually surrounded by Sens fans, which made the experience that much better. This is either due to a growth in Sens fans in Vancouver or a decline in interest for watching the Sens. Either way more Sens fans at Rogers is good.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Whenever I go up to Ottawa I see a fair number of Sens flags in the Watertown area. I'd like to see a deeper NHL presence up near the border just an hour away from the closest NHL team.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I've never been to any arena outside of the CTC but when we play away I can hear a distinctive cheer everytime we score in the following arenas;

Buffalo
Vancouver
Toronto
Montreal
Calgary
Edmonton
Florida
Arizona
Winnipeg

During the cup run in the second round against Jersey I remember people saying there were thousands of us in the stands.

Xamar*

I've never been to any arena outside of the CTC but when we play away I can hear a distinctive cheer everytime we score in the following arenas;

Buffalo
Vancouver
Toronto
Montreal
Calgary
Edmonton
Florida
Arizona
Winnipeg

During the cup run in the second round against Jersey I remember people saying there were thousands of us in the stands.

I seen a video once on YT of game 5 between the Devils and they guy filmed all the Sens fans that stayed after the game ended.There were lots !

Xamar*

There's a distinctive feeling of pride you get being an away fan amongst alot of other Sens fans. It's only a great feeling hearing Go Sens Go in another building.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad