• Johnsson

• Binnington

• Hart

• Other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I looked back at when Andrew Hammond went on his tear in 2014-15; he didn't get votes for the Calder because he wasn't eligible [can't turn 26 before September 15 of the season in which the award is voted for], but he ended up getting votes for both the Hart [one vote for 4th, 6 votes for 5th] and Vezina .

For 23 starts. No idea if he would have bumped Ekblad for the Calder, or Stone or Gaudreau as finalists, but that should give people an idea of how much weight some voters are willing to give to someone's outstanding performance where they only played part of the season [because they weren't in the NHL for the rest of it]. Not saying that Binnington will win it, but anyone thinking he won't be in the mix as a finalist might want to re-think that.

Reactions: Silky mitts

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
EP is crazy overrated. The guy got neither 30 goals (while shooting a crazy 19.4%) nor did he get 70 points as a 20 year old, with 70.5% Ozone starts. Dahlin put up 44 points as an 18 year old on a crappy Sabres squad, while having a 98 PDO. With any bit of luck, Dahlin probably could have put up 50 points this season. This is a no-brainer for me.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
EP is crazy overrated. The guy got neither 30 goals (while shooting a crazy 19.4%) nor did he get 70 points as a 20 year old, with 70.5% Ozone starts. Dahlin put up 44 points as an 18 year old on a crappy Sabres squad, while having a 98 PDO. With any bit of luck, Dahlin probably could have put up 50 points this season. This is a no-brainer for me.
Pettersson’s a great talent but it was a little ridiculous earlier on this season when there was serious discussion that he should be above MacKinnon and only behind McDavid as top young players. I saw multiple comments that they wouldn’t trade him one for one for McDavid due to contracts, too. So, yeah, I think it’s absolutely fair to say he’s overrated.

Dahlin is the choice moving forward, but EP will rightfully win the Calder. You don’t get credit for being a year and a bit younger.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I looked back at when Andrew Hammond went on his tear in 2014-15; he didn't get votes for the Calder because he wasn't eligible [can't turn 26 before September 15 of the season in which the award is voted for], but he ended up getting votes for both the Hart [one vote for 4th, 6 votes for 5th] and Vezina .

For 23 starts. No idea if he would have bumped Ekblad for the Calder, or Stone or Gaudreau as finalists, but that should give people an idea of how much weight some voters are willing to give to someone's outstanding performance where they only played part of the season [because they weren't in the NHL for the rest of it]. Not saying that Binnington will win it, but anyone thinking he won't be in the mix as a finalist might want to re-think that.

Hammond went 21-1 with a SVP of .941 and a gaa of 1.72

This is the most biased post lol.

EP didn't hit 30 goals or 70 points cuz he missed 10 games. But Dahlin could have put 50 points this season somehow. Okay...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I was torn between Heiskanen and Binnington. Ultimately I went Binnington just because of how much his play impacted St. Louis' turn around.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Hammond went 21-1 with a SVP of .941 and a gaa of 1.72
20-1-2, 1.79, .941 if we're being totally, totally nit-picky. My comment about 23 starts was more in reference to complaints from a handful of people about "30 games isn't enough to be considered for an award." Clearly, for a few voters around the league a few years back, just 23 [plus another in relief where he played just over a period] was more than enough to get consideration.

Canucks777

Jun 17, 2018
Pettersson is probably like 5th for me. He's soft, a bad skater, and he is prone to injuries. Canucks fans have overrated him since he was drafted. Definitely going with Dahlin here....

:D

Reactions: Kreator

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
28 G 66P in 71GP, he wouldve had both 30G and 70P as a rookie..... and somehow thats overrated. Gotcha.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Dahlin
Binnington
Heiskanen

Pettersson's overrated
It's fine to think that Pettersson is overrated (some posters were definitely overrating him, and his incredibly hot start made it hard to really pin down his ceiling).

But he's top 3 this year without a shadow of a doubt.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Ray Ferraro said his ballot is:

1. Pettersson
2. Binnington
3. Heiskanen

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

Having a high shooting% doesn’t change the fact that he did score those goals and get those assists. Sure, Dahlin could have gotten more points with a bit more luck, but he didn’t.

Reactions: biotk

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014

You forgot to mention that Pettersson missed 11 games and would've pretty easily topped both 30 goals and 70 points otherwise. The only rookies with more points per game the past decade were McDavid, Barzal and Panarin, and both the latter two were in fact on higher scoring teams.

Reactions: bh53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad