Avs vs Vegas

Avs vs Vegas

• Total voters

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I take avs because homer and I give Vegas edge in goaltending, defence for me are a wash, depends if Bryam steps in and is another young stud and I give the avs the edge up front

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Goaltending: Vegas
Defense: Vegas (give me Theodore+Piet > Makar+Girard)
Offense: Very slight edge to Avs; but it can go either way. Vegas has the better depth, Avs have the better top-end guys.

Vegas wins this, plus they're better suited as a "Playoff team"

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Glass can step up his play, I think the Knights are the answer. I think Colorado’s goaltending is more of an issue than asking Glass to be the 2C.

Reactions: Devonator

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Offense: Very slight edge to Avs; but it can go either way. Vegas has the better depth, Avs have the better top-end guys.

No chance that Vegas has better depth at forward. Colorado is actually pretty deep

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Vegas has a very top heavy defense and a 1C that just isn't good enough to be a cup winner. Their goaltending is better but their lack of elite talent up front isn't enough for me.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Vegas:

- What version of William Karlsson is Vegas getting? The 2017-2018 version, or last year’s downgraded model?

- Does Cody Glass make the jump?

Colorado:

- Will Philip Grubauer be healthy when it matters?

Those are some of the keys for me. I think Colorado has a better team, but health could be an issue again this season. I’ll be curious to see what kind of effect a Theodore/Pietrangelo pairing can have on the game.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Vegas has an awful defense.

Martinez, McNabb, Holden is quite possibly the worst left side in the West.
Yup. Vegas has the best dman in Petro but after that I think CO overall isn't far off on the backend.

Toews/Girard-Makar
Toews/Girard-Johnson
Graves-Cole

vs

McNabb-Petro
Martinez-Theodore
Holden-Whitecloud

Losing Schmidt to get Petro really hurts and outside of Petro and Theodore their defense is pretty meh to me.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's Colorado.

Vegas feels incomplete. I said this after the Petro signing. It's a deal that will look great in the long run as it's a big piece they've locked down, but right now there are holes.

You don't win the cup with Karlsson as the #1C and Stephenson or whoever is the #2C. Plain and simple, at least if you trust historical data.

They will figure it out once everything falls in place in terms of cap space and the right guy being available.

But right now the Avs have everything you need to go all the way. Sure you can argue goaltending to the ends of the earth but that's always such a wild card. We've seen mediocre goalies win stanley cups behind elite teams. We've seen decent goalies get hot at the right time and play over their heads. Grubauer is a decent goalie and if the team in front of him is playing their best hockey at the right time (and the Avs ceiling is REALLY high) i really don't think you can bank on him choking it all away. If it happens then it happens but the bottom line is Avs don't need Hasek-like goaltending to win the stanley cup. To me what is a bigger factor to their success is health and mindset, taking pride in a strong checking game and trusting the offense will come. And actually believe it, not just talk about it.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's Colorado.

Vegas feels incomplete. I said this after the Petro signing. It's a deal that will look great in the long run as it's a big piece they've locked down, but right now there are holes.

You don't win the cup with Karlsson as the #1C and Stephenson or whoever is the #2C. Plain and simple, at least if you trust historical data.

They will figure it out once everything falls in place in terms of cap space and the right guy being available.

But right now the Avs have everything you need to go all the way. Sure you can argue goaltending to the ends of the earth but that's always such a wild card. We've seen mediocre goalies win stanley cups behind elite teams. We've seen decent goalies get hot at the right time and play over their heads. Grubauer is a decent goalie and if the team in front of him is playing their best hockey at the right time (and the Avs ceiling is REALLY high) i really don't think you can bank on him choking it all away. If it happens then it happens but the bottom line is Avs don't need Hasek-like goaltending to win the stanley cup. To me what is a bigger factor to their success is health and mindset, taking pride in a strong checking game and trusting the offense will come. And actually believe it, not just talk about it.

Except Vegas has been to the Cup Finals and WCF in recent years, I'll take the guys proven to go deeper until Colorado actually gets out of the 2nd round. On paper doesn't mean anything, Vegas is weaker than a lot of teams on paper, they still smoke them when it comes to actual games.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Except Vegas has been to the Cup Finals and WCF in recent years, I'll take the guys proven to go deeper until Colorado actually gets out of the 2nd round. On paper doesn't mean anything, Vegas is weaker than a lot of teams on paper, they still smoke them when it comes to actual games.

Their WCF appearance felt a whole lot like Winnipeg's from a few years back.

And they got worse following it.

I dunno man, I think Vegas was a paper tiger last year and got lucky with their match ups. CHI and VAN were relatively easy teams to face in the playoffs versus what Dallas went through.

They are one of those teams that looks really good analytically, but has no real finish.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Their WCF appearance felt a whole lot like Winnipeg's from a few years back.

And they got worse following it.

I dunno man, I think Vegas was a paper tiger last year and got lucky with their match ups. CHI and VAN were relatively easy teams to face in the playoffs versus what Dallas went through.

They are one of those teams that looks really good analytically, but has no real finish.

Chicago took out McDavid/Draisaitl and Van took out the Cup winners, hell of a lot more impressive than beating Calgary and Arizona.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Many ways to look at it.

You can also say Colorado outscored Vegas 16-8 in the 3 meetings they had last season and despite heavy injuries had the better record. They almost completed the comeback against Dallas where as Vegas fell flat in 5 games. They went deeper in the playoffs in 18-19 than Vegas and so both teams have 2 playoff round wins total from the last 2 seasons. None of the last 3 cup winners either had a SCF appearance or had not been there in 5+ years.

Yeah, Vegas made the cup finals in that magical year. Do i think the current Avs could do the same facing the same teams then? Yeah. They're better than 17-18 Kings or Sharks, Jets showed fatigue after a taxing NSH series and 1 day off. I think it's a narrow view to look at SCF appearances, reality is Vegas does not have the experience of going all the way. From that point of view these two teams are not as much apart in terms of experience as you think. For example the Avs gained invaluable experience coming back from 3-1. Vegas has never done that in the playoffs in their existence. They've beaten a top seed team in Calgary in 5. They've made quick work of a lower seeded team in Arizona. They've been in many different scenarios in recent years and came out on top. In turn, Vegas have done some things Colorado haven't.

You know what the Caps did the year before winning it all? They came back on the Pens from 3-1 down and then lost game 7.

All this is just speculation really and none of it may or may not matter. What we can do is to look at the teams objectively and what they're capable of right now. I don't see any reason to think Vegas is the better hockey team but each to their own.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Agreed on G and D but Avs comfortably have better forwards, and I think that might be enough to take them overall
They're probably close though

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I have no idea how someone can look at those forward groups and say Vegas has better depth. Just comical. As for defensive groups, I'd take Avalanche comfortably. Vegas might have the best defenseman out of the bunch if you compare Pie to Makar or Sammy, but they sure as hell are weaker across the rest of the board.

Francouz was injured throughout the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad