Pre-Game Talk: Avs vs. Stars: October 15th 2013 | Their new logo just looks like a spiky D

Status
Not open for further replies.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
I honestly don't like the Stastny line right now, too much passing. I'd like to see MacKinnon and Stastny switch spots.

Tanguay-MacKinnon-Landeskog
McGinn-Stastny-Parenteau

lol why would you mess with the Mack line when it's been producing like crazy?

Staz's line is doing it's job. They face the oppositions best each night and shut them down. Let it be.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I honestly don't like the Stastny line right now, too much passing. I'd like to see MacKinnon and Stastny switch spots.

McGinn-Stastny-Parenteau

I think swapping pap and Tanguay at some point will make a lot of sense, but for now, I don't wanna break up the chemistry we've got going nor would I wanna put more pressure on MacK to score ES goals and shut down top lines like he would have to with Tanguay refusing to score and Landy on the other side. The Staz line isn't great offensively but they're starting to get going and do a great job shielding MacK so he can flourish. As he grows he'll need less help, but for now, I'd rather not overburden him.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If we're swapping anything on the lines, Tanguay should move down to MacK's line and PAP up to Stastny's. PAP and Staz worked well together last year despite not spending any real time on a line together and Tanguay could help pick up some of the defensive duties on that line, aside from being a great playmaker for both MacK and McGinn.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Why mess with a 4th line which has been more than solid for us? Bordeleau isn't a defensive liability and with our top 9 we definitely don't need a very skilled player on the fourth line. He brings the perfect combination of a big body and some skill.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Dater said McLeod tried to get back into the game in Washington, he tried to skate in the last intermission. So it can't be that bad if he was trying to get back out there that night. I agree though that he's likely to sit for at least one game. My bet is they just play Cliche in that scenario.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Bordeleau and Cliche rotation depending on the match up. I feel like Cliche is definitely the superior player but Bordeleau has certain games where he can protect our players and keep the opposition honest. Like against the Ducks and Bruins.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Neil Greenberg ‏@ngreenberg 3 min
Weird stat of the day: #Stars rookie Valeri Nichushkin only skater who has yet to post an even-strength shot attempt (min 50 5v5 mis).

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

McGinn-Stastny-Parenteau
Stastny's line has been very effective shutting down the other teams best players, and messing with the centers kind of screws with that idea.

Kind of odd coming after their best game.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
According to Roys presser today, sounds like McLeod might play tomorrow after all.

And are we really complaining about the lines? :facepalm:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think the Stastny line has been great for what they're being asked to do. They're playing against the best players on the opposing team and starting most of their shifts in the defensive zone. The offensive chances have been there as well but they've just missed on a few opportunities. Throwing MacKinnon, who can't win a faceoff and is a defensive liability, on that line messes up our shutdown line. I want Stastny and Landeskog out there together and Tanguay isn't anything special defensively but he's smart so he's fine on that line as well.

A bit off topic but I loved what the coaching staff did on the PK against the Caps. They basically turned the 5-on-4 into a 4-on-3 by having Stastny stay attached to Ovechkin's hip the entire time. That's some good coaching right there.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver

McGinn-Stastny-Parenteau

Stastny's line has been getting progressively better while also matching up against top lines. I'd keep the lines as is and hope that Landeskog gets some offense going.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Roy says no line-up changes tomorrow so I guess Barrie sits again.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
A bit off topic but I loved what the coaching staff did on the PK against the Caps. They basically turned the 5-on-4 into a 4-on-3 by having Stastny stay attached to Ovechkin's hip the entire time. That's some good coaching right there.

Agreed. I'm surprised they didn't move Ovechkin around. It's not too hard to cover him when he doesn't move more than four or five feet away from where he is and waits for one timers. I'd think other teams would've caught onto it by now

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'm one of the people who rails against Mitchell playing on a scoring line but I readily admit he's been great in his role this year, he's playing much better defensively and while he still can't pass, that's ok on the 4th line and PK. It was painful when he had to play with Staz and Tanguay because the poor fella even tried to pass in that game he just isn't physically capable of completing a proper pass, but between bordy and the new and improved highlander, he's been great.

Agree 100%

If we're swapping anything on the lines, Tanguay should move down to MacK's line and PAP up to Stastny's. PAP and Staz worked well together last year despite not spending any real time on a line together and Tanguay could help pick up some of the defensive duties on that line, aside from being a great playmaker for both MacK and McGinn.

I still hope just for a PAP and Downie swap once MacK gets a bit more comfortable. I think both lines would be better overall. Makes MacK's line a bit more of an energy + offense line and Dutch's line crazy offensively stacked, but neither line would seem to take much of a hit in effectiveness.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
In the locker room interviews today Stastny said, and I'm paraphrasing, that they have a new gameplan for every game and there is a lot of coaching going on. He seems to enjoy playing for Roy despite having pretty much the same role as he did under Sacco the last year.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
In the locker room interviews today Stastny said, and I'm paraphrasing, that they have a new gameplan for every game and there is a lot of coaching going on. He seems to enjoy playing for Roy despite having pretty much the same role as he did under Sacco the last year.

This year though his role seems to be valued by Roy, but Sacco was not much for seeming to value much besides non NHL defensemen

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

EJ said the same thing during a post game interview recently, that they've been spending a lot of time pouring over videos discussing what will and won't work against certain teams. I think it was the Boston game he referenced the most.

Suffice to say, I'm eating major crow in my disapproval for hiring Roy, the guy has been a genius behind the bench so far in his approach to the position. Even if he isn't directly responsible for everything, he played a major hand in changing the image of the coaching staff.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Love those new Stars uniforms...yeah, the logo could use some work, but the jerseys are spot-on. Why NHL teams seemingly avoid green at all costs I'll never know. The previous jerseys were so dull I think they were trying to put the opposition to sleep.

And I don't know why, maybe it's a Texas thing, but Dallas's ice girls have always been a wonder to behold.

As for Stastny continuing his shutdown role, at least Roy did him the favor of putting two guys who actually know how to play D on his wings. Last season Sacco inexplicably kept David Jones with him even though Jones has never been even remotely good defensively. That right there was what finally put me on the "Fire Sacco" bandwagon for good. It also helps to play the shutdown role when you have somewhat competent defensemen who can get you the puck playing behind you.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma

How that didn't happen with Sacco is a disgrace. It's one of the most basic things. You know to scout the other team.....

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Where did you see Stastny's interview? I think I missed that one.

Anyway, Mitchell said it too that they have a new plan every day and how they enjoy that. It seems so obvious, game planning in professional sports?!? Why wouldn't they have been doing this before?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
where did you see stastny's interview? I think i missed that one.

Anyway, mitchell said it too that they have a new plan every day and how they enjoy that. It seems so obvious, game planning in professional sports?!? Why wouldn't they have been doing this before?

[nhl]459384[/nhl]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad