avs vs nuggets

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I know you're addicted to the Mammoth, but they're super niche on the sports spectrum even though everyone including me thinks they're cool. Also, lol if you think the male demo of 18-45 watched a springs Rockies game over a Nuggets playoff game. It's super close between the Nuggets and Avs, but Avs have a more hardcore fanbase (which probably came from winning two Cups).

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Are they playing on ice, or a hardwood floor? Because, I don’t think the Avs will skate very well on a wood surfaces. Oh, you meant in popularity...:oops:

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
If ticket prices on resale tell you anything, its Avs by a longshot, but that could easily mean brokers buying too many Nuggets and diluting the market.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Coming to Denver for Avs game and looking for a good bar in LoDo to watch Nugs game. Any good suggests?

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
Well during the nuggets game the other day the whole bar was yelling and going crazy. The past two nights I’ve worked at a different bar we didn’t even have the Av’s game on tv ( I was super happy about that though because I was recording the game lol). The one night it was on at my job I was the only one cheering for the Av’s.

Gotta say nuggets.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I know you're addicted to the Mammoth, but they're super niche on the sports spectrum even though everyone including me thinks they're cool. Also, lol if you think the male demo of 18-45 watched a springs Rockies game over a Nuggets playoff game. It's super close between the Nuggets and Avs, but Avs have a more hardcore fanbase (which probably came from winning two Cups).
Obviously the Rapids and Mammoth are not on the same magnitude as the Nuggets and Avs, but fewer than zero people were watching their games. Same goes for the Rockies; most people would likely be watching the Nuggets playoffs but obviously some of them watched the Rockies, too.

Generally the Nuggets beat the Avs in ratings, so something has to explain the difference here. And I would argue that individually the Rockies, Rapids, or Mammoth games wouldn't make a big difference. But all three playing at the same time as the Nuggets, and all three on television? Come on man. There is a 100% chance that there is overlap between people who would watch one of those three teams and people that would watch a Nuggets playoff game.

An 8.4 versus an 8.1 means that 0.3 percentage points more of people watching TV in Denver were watching the Avs on Thursday versus the Nuggets on Friday. You're telling me that the combined Rockies, Rapids, and Mammoth games can't account for one third of a percent of TV households in Denver?

Myself, I put the Rockies game on television and then streamed the Nuggets on my desktop via ESPN and the Mammoth on my laptop via Bleacher Report Live. Because there's no easy, legal way to stream Rockies games in Denver right now.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Not a fair comparison since the Nuggets game was happening at the same time as the Rockies game, the Mammoth playoff game, and the Rapids game. Avs had Thursday night to themselves.
Wouldn't that only take away the guys actually playing in the game from the Nuggets audience?

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Wouldn't that only take away the guys actually playing in the game from the Nuggets audience?
I certainly don't give a crap about soccer, but the Rapids have been around since MLS started. Gotta be somebody watching. Otherwise Kroenke wouldn't have built them that super nice stadium or put their games on his cable network. He would trash the team in a second.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Well during the nuggets game the other day the whole bar was yelling and going crazy. The past two nights I’ve worked at a different bar we didn’t even have the Av’s game on tv ( I was super happy about that though because I was recording the game lol). The one night it was on at my job I was the only one cheering for the Av’s.

Gotta say nuggets.
Judging based off a single bar is odd no? Avs beat the Nuggets in the regular season in TV ratings and thus far in the playoffs. It has been close between both teams, but for anybody to say Nuggets are more popular than Avs is wrong. Colorado is a pretty damn solid hockey state after the likes of cycling, baseball, and throwball.

coloradotim

Nov 5, 2017
Avs over Nuggets. Nuggets do have more history (going back to their Denver Rockets days starting in 1967) so they'll always have a place in the hearts of Denver sports fans. But the atmosphere at an Avs playoff game is more intense than at a Nuggets playoff game.

Broncos trump both - this is still a football town. But Avs are second in fan popularity right now IMO.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Avs have a larger dedicated fan base. Nuggets = basketball = easier to understand and watch, for a casual observer, so they will draw casual fans moreso than hockey, especially because I frequently hear people love attending hockey games, but casual fans have trouble understanding icing, offsides, etc. (I know, I know, not really that hard to understand), and therefore don’t watch as frequently on TV. Not the same for basketball (hell, they don’t even enforce the rules they have... e.g. traveling, carrying the ball)

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Nuggets USED to have a phenomenal fanbase. Big Mac had no issue selling out in the Moe/Issel/English/Lever era. But everything got destroyed in the 90s. Bernie Bickerstaff started it, and it somehow got worse from there. Even the Avs in their penny-pinching days gave us the illusion of a light at the end of the tunnel, the Nuggets couldn't even manage that. The brief resurgence under Carmelo/K-Mart/Billups was something, and it wasn't enough, and it didn't help that during all that the Nuggets hired far and away the worst coach in their storied history. It's going to take a while before fans start really coming back, but the price point issue needs to be addressed regardless.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The Nuggets USED to have a phenomenal fanbase. Big Mac had no issue selling out in the Moe/Issel/English/Lever era. But everything got destroyed in the 90s. Bernie Bickerstaff started it, and it somehow got worse from there. Even the Avs in their penny-pinching days gave us the illusion of a light at the end of the tunnel, the Nuggets couldn't even manage that. The brief resurgence under Carmelo/K-Mart/Billups was something, and it wasn't enough, and it didn't help that during all that the Nuggets hired far and away the worst coach in their storied history. It's going to take a while before fans start really coming back, but the price point issue needs to be addressed regardless.
Shaw is that much worse than Westhead?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Absolutely mega wrong here, like insanely wrong. Any aura of the Rockies being the 2nd most popular sports team is a myth because they have zero competition in the summer.

Avs and Nuggets are easily more popular than the Rockies and I don't think it is close. If we exclude the Broncos, I see more Av bumpers sticks to almost zero Nuggets out on the road. I also see people wearing more Av shirts than any other team. However, I see more people wear Nugget baseball hats. I think Nuggets have had the upper hand on the Avs during the regular season, but I think Avs thus far have had more hype around town.
Uh, no. Rockies are easily ahead of Nuggets/Avs.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not sure where people are getting their attendance numbers, but it's been widely publicized that Nuggets aren't selling out playoff games.

The Avs are on the other hand selling out every game and prices for tickets are through the roof.

Also living here my whole life I can tell you that this city has a lot of "fair weather" fans. If any team, it doesn't matter which sport, does well then the city will come out of hiding and support the heck of that team.

Tough to say which sport is favored in Colorado. Both are getting tons of fan support at the moment.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
The Nuggets need to establish a bit of clout. They'll have a chance to establish a little if they finish off Portland and they can have a better showing against the Warriors or Rockets then they had in the regular season (they will eventually lose to either barring an injury to one of their stars).

The Avs titles gave them clout that can be instantly revived when they are good. So right now they probably have the edge in support. If the Nuggets ever win a championship that will give them clout forever.

The Avs are all but guaranteed to be Cup Contenders for the foreseeable future. The Nuggets are in a similar position... but in basketball you can make stronger guarantees when you have the talent. Jokic is emerging as a playoff force in his first go at it, which is rare. If Jamal Murray can develop into a consistently dominant player or if Michael Porter Jr turns into the player he was projected to be in high school, the Nuggets are guaranteed to be contenders. If BOTH things happen... the Nuggets will win an NBA title.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
The Nuggets need to establish a bit of clout. They'll have a chance to establish a little if they finish off Portland and they can have a better showing against the Warriors or Rockets then they had in the regular season (they will eventually lose to either barring an injury to one of their stars).

Did I just put a hex on Kevin Durant?

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
Not sure where people are getting their attendance numbers, but it's been widely publicized that Nuggets aren't selling out playoff games.

The Avs are on the other hand selling out every game and prices for tickets are through the roof.

Yep. Also came to post that they mentioned this exact thing the other day on the radio. (92.5 I think)

Also the comment about Nuggets getting boost from more casual "fans," because basketball is basic, seems likely. They'll probably continue to pick up attention if they continue toadvance.

I think average ticket prices are generally higher for Avs, though I'll admit I dont really watch out for NBA tickets. Grew up watching basketball, and totally quit the NBA since mid 90s. Dont miss it a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad