avs vs nuggets

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
for ppl of Denver, i've always wondered.. now that the nuggets and avs are great, what is bigger in Denver... hockey or basketball? avs are fun to watch with 2 top scorers, and nuggets are fun too. is basketball bigger by a lot, or is it close in Den, OR is hockey bigger? i've always been curious. THx

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
for ppl of Denver, i've always wondered.. now that the nuggets and avs are great, what is bigger in Denver... hockey or basketball? avs are fun to watch with 2 top scorers, and nuggets are fun too. is basketball bigger by a lot, or is it close in Den, OR is hockey bigger? i've always been curious. THx
Nuggets probs.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Nuggets always bump the Avs to the overflow sports channel if there's a conflict locally. Nuggets by a mile.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nuggets probs.
Both have around the same attendance, so it should come to television ratings.

Avs have way more history and winning culture in Colorado, while basketball is the more known sport. Because of that I'll probably give the Nuggets more hype, but not sure you can say that they're more entertaining than the Avs with our 1st line.

The Nuggets always bump the Avs to the overflow sports channel if there's a conflict locally. Nuggets by a mile.
Not sure if I agree with that, I noticed that Avs get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Altitude I and II. Maybe you have some statistics out there I haven't seen, but it probably evens itself out in the end. I think they give Avs one day around the weekend and Nuggets the other day.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

From working Avs and Nuggets games they’re just as crowded as each other. But more VIP type people come in to Nuggets games than Avs games.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Not true.

They alternate. If the Nuggets are on Altitude 1 one night and the Avs are on Altitude 2/Sports Overflow, the next time both are playing at the same time the Avs will be on Altitude and the Nuggets on the other channel.

That said, the Nuggets are a bit more popular overall mostly due to having a 28 year head start. People who were my age when the Avalanche got here (5-6) are just now starting families. Most Avalanche fans right now are first or at most second generation, whereas watching the Nuggets bring suffering has been a family tradition since my grandma was in her 20s.

Per game local sports attendances for the most recent season (I'll use the present Avs/Nuggets/Broncos but last season for Mammoth since they've only played one game so far this year)
Broncos: 76,517
Rockies: 37,233
Nuggets: 17,915
Avalanche: 17,005
Rapids: 15,333
Mammoth: 14,077
Outlaws: 7,758

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
The team that is playing better will be the more popular at any given moment in town. Of the two teams the Avs have had better overall success and have generally been the more relevant of the two teams in the national conversation. The Nuggets have basically always struggled to be relevant, and that's largely due to the lack of playoff success. If the current young core of the Nuggets can develop into a team that changes the narrative of the Nuggets when it comes to the playoffs, that would probably give them the edge in popularity all other things being equal (such as how good both teams are doing).

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I wonder how it is in Toronto and Minnesota. Both are huge hockey areas but both also have good NBA teams, especially Toronto Raptors is projected to go deep in the playoffs.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Both have around the same attendance, so it should come to television ratings.

Avs have way more history and winning culture in Colorado, while basketball is the more known sport. Because of that I'll probably give the Nuggets more hype, but not sure you can say that they're more entertaining than the Avs with our 1st line.

Winning culture, sure. But the Nuggets have twice the history the Avs do in town. I would be shocked if the Avs beat the Nuggets in a casual poll outside of any year where they (Avs) are doing very well while the Nuggets are in the cellar.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
in terms of casual conversation I almost never hear anyone talk about the Nuggets. I didn't even know they were leading the conference until I opened this thread.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
Winning culture, sure. But the Nuggets have twice the history the Avs do in town. I would be shocked if the Avs beat the Nuggets in a casual poll outside of any year where they (Avs) are doing very well while the Nuggets are in the cellar.

I doubt the longer history of the Nuggets is going to be a bigger factor than the Avs championship era. The longer history isn't going to make much of a difference to anyone under the age of say, 35 (Basically anyone who was in their formative years or younger when the Avs arrived, aside from generational fans of the Nuggets). There's probably a lot of sports fans in this town, even younger Nuggets fans, who don't know who Alex English, Fat Lever, David Thompson, Calvin Natt, etc. are. Championships tend to galvanize a fan base and the Avs had a couple.

Both also teams had periods of futility that can really kill casual interest. As any real Nuggets fan knows, their history is pretty painful overall. Even the good teams they've had could never get over the hump, and their best teams were always looking up at the Lakers. Hardcore, longtime Nuggets fans are a dedicated but fairly small group of the Denver sports market. Basketball is a more accessible sport to play and more casually popular but a lot of basketball fans in Denver end up rooting for other teams.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Denver is 70 to 77% white. White Americans are bigots. Hockey is a predominantly white sport. So obviously, the Nuggets are the more popular of the two teams. ;-)

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Updated attendance:
Broncos: 76,446
Rockies: 37,233
Nuggets: 18,124
Avalanche: 17,165
Rapids: 15,333
Mammoth: 14,077
Outlaws: 7,758

Nuggets and Avs attendance is still climbing as the seasons go along.

Mammoth have still only played one home game so that's last season's number.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Can anyone here from Denver pls tell me who is getting more of a buzz in Denver? Avs or Nuggets? Who are ppl talking about more? who are the fans more excited about?

is there a big buzz in Denver now for the avs?

thx

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Can anyone here from Denver pls tell me who is getting more of a buzz in Denver? Avs or Nuggets? Who are ppl talking about more? who are the fans more excited about?

is there a big buzz in Denver now for the avs?

thx

There isn't the buzz that there should be for either team to be honest. As a Denver resident I can say that Denver is not a good sports town. It shouldn't be "Avs vs Nuggets". It should be "Avs, Nuggets, and Rockies vs Broncos". The Broncos dominate Denver media and they're by far the worst team in town. I hate the NBA, but I'm rooting for the Nuggets because anything that takes attention away from the Broncos is good for the Denver sports landscape.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Denver is Broncos Country. Rockies are a distant second, and everything else is bottom tier.

We also have a massive transplant problem now, where every team hasn't had recent success, so the thousands of people who moved here kept their old team allegiances and it shows in the seats at all venues minus the Broncos.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Thx guys. how can a city not love watching this avs team? they're so fun to watch and are a very fast team...Nathan Mackinnon is the most exciting player to watch in the NHL and u guys have him.

I wonder if Nathan Mackinnon is a legend in Denver. If he walks downtown, would everyone recognize him? is he a familiar face in Denver? i wonder if alot of ppl wouldn't even know who he is.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
There isn't the buzz that there should be for either team to be honest. As a Denver resident I can say that Denver is not a good sports town. It shouldn't be "Avs vs Nuggets". It should be "Avs, Nuggets, and Rockies vs Broncos". The Broncos dominate Denver media and they're by far the worst team in town. I hate the NBA, but I'm rooting for the Nuggets because anything that takes attention away from the Broncos is good for the Denver sports landscape.

I think Football popularity, plus an outrageous number of transplants in Colorado, means that we're not as good as we could be. Too many conflicting team affiliations, too little press for teams outside of the Broncos. Before 92.5 came onto the radio dial, you only had a few sports choices. One of them is 104.3, which is a Sports Channel, but all they talk about is the Broncos. Then you have Orange & Blue 760, which is the same damn thing. So, yeah, Denver is a Broncos Town, and Colorado is a Broncos state.

They'd rather speculate about how Joe Flacco's dump smells than the Avs winning a playoff game.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
It will always shock me that people actually enjoy the NBA. I just can't.

In the 80s when I was a kid it was THE sport to watch. Yes, better than the NHL and NFL for sure. The talent in the league during that time was just unreal. The 90s for a while were good but the Shaq/Kobe Lakers were absolutely ABHORRENT to watch. Couldn't stand them. You had one big, lumbering oaf who got away with murder in the paint along with one of the most overrated players of all time get away with boring-ass fadeaway jumpers and that was it. And while I absolutely love Gregg Popovich as a human being and coach, I couldn't stand the Tim Duncan-era Spurs. They were boring as f***, about on keel with the Brodeur-era Devils if you took away the "A" Line and replaced them with a bunch of grinders. Those two teams, along with the swiftly-aging and declining Nuggets, just turned me off on the NBA entirely. This new Nuggets team, along with the Warriors, are starting to win me back. I'm still not there, and will never be quite the basketball fan I once was. But I love that it no longer has to be "which team has the single best player" like it was a few years ago.

Anyway, to each their own. The sport I continue to grow more ambivalent over is football, specifically the NFL.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Rockies are a distant second, and everything else is bottom tier.
Absolutely mega wrong here, like insanely wrong. Any aura of the Rockies being the 2nd most popular sports team is a myth because they have zero competition in the summer.

Avs and Nuggets are easily more popular than the Rockies and I don't think it is close. If we exclude the Broncos, I see more Av bumpers sticks to almost zero Nuggets out on the road. I also see people wearing more Av shirts than any other team. However, I see more people wear Nugget baseball hats. I think Nuggets have had the upper hand on the Avs during the regular season, but I think Avs thus far have had more hype around town.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->