avs vs nuggets

Discussion in 'Colorado Avalanche' started by Nicky Santoro, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Nicky Santoro

Nicky Santoro Registered User

for ppl of Denver, i've always wondered.. now that the nuggets and avs are great, what is bigger in Denver... hockey or basketball? avs are fun to watch with 2 top scorers, and nuggets are fun too. is basketball bigger by a lot, or is it close in Den, OR is hockey bigger? i've always been curious. THx

2. RareDangles

RareDangles Registered User

Nuggets probs.

3. McMetal

McMetal Writer of Wrongs

The Nuggets always bump the Avs to the overflow sports channel if there's a conflict locally. Nuggets by a mile.

4. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    Both have around the same attendance, so it should come to television ratings.

Avs have way more history and winning culture in Colorado, while basketball is the more known sport. Because of that I'll probably give the Nuggets more hype, but not sure you can say that they're more entertaining than the Avs with our 1st line.

Not sure if I agree with that, I noticed that Avs get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Altitude I and II. Maybe you have some statistics out there I haven't seen, but it probably evens itself out in the end. I think they give Avs one day around the weekend and Nuggets the other day.

5. The Abusement Park

The Abusement Park Registered User

From working Avs and Nuggets games they’re just as crowded as each other. But more VIP type people come in to Nuggets games than Avs games.

6. famicommander

famicommander Registered User

Not true.

They alternate. If the Nuggets are on Altitude 1 one night and the Avs are on Altitude 2/Sports Overflow, the next time both are playing at the same time the Avs will be on Altitude and the Nuggets on the other channel.

That said, the Nuggets are a bit more popular overall mostly due to having a 28 year head start. People who were my age when the Avalanche got here (5-6) are just now starting families. Most Avalanche fans right now are first or at most second generation, whereas watching the Nuggets bring suffering has been a family tradition since my grandma was in her 20s.

Per game local sports attendances for the most recent season (I'll use the present Avs/Nuggets/Broncos but last season for Mammoth since they've only played one game so far this year)
    Broncos: 76,517
    Rockies: 37,233
    Nuggets: 17,915
    Avalanche: 17,005
    Rapids: 15,333
    Mammoth: 14,077
    Outlaws: 7,758

7. Ivan13

Ivan13 Super Joe!

Nuggets are a great team, Avs are an above average team.

8. Pokecheque

Pokecheque armoredheadspace Sponsor

Wannabe Blogger
    Home Page:
    Longer history with the Nuggets and the NBA has a little more mainstream appeal than the NHL.

9. Grand Lord Winkie

Grand Lord Winkie Registered User

The team that is playing better will be the more popular at any given moment in town. Of the two teams the Avs have had better overall success and have generally been the more relevant of the two teams in the national conversation. The Nuggets have basically always struggled to be relevant, and that's largely due to the lack of playoff success. If the current young core of the Nuggets can develop into a team that changes the narrative of the Nuggets when it comes to the playoffs, that would probably give them the edge in popularity all other things being equal (such as how good both teams are doing).

10. Mestaruus

Mestaruus Registered User

I wonder how it is in Toronto and Minnesota. Both are huge hockey areas but both also have good NBA teams, especially Toronto Raptors is projected to go deep in the playoffs.

11. Hennessy

Hennessy Blank Space

Winning culture, sure. But the Nuggets have twice the history the Avs do in town. I would be shocked if the Avs beat the Nuggets in a casual poll outside of any year where they (Avs) are doing very well while the Nuggets are in the cellar.

12. WarriorOfGandhi

WarriorOfGandhi Was saying Boo-urns

in terms of casual conversation I almost never hear anyone talk about the Nuggets. I didn't even know they were leading the conference until I opened this thread.

13. Grand Lord Winkie

Grand Lord Winkie Registered User

I doubt the longer history of the Nuggets is going to be a bigger factor than the Avs championship era. The longer history isn't going to make much of a difference to anyone under the age of say, 35 (Basically anyone who was in their formative years or younger when the Avs arrived, aside from generational fans of the Nuggets). There's probably a lot of sports fans in this town, even younger Nuggets fans, who don't know who Alex English, Fat Lever, David Thompson, Calvin Natt, etc. are. Championships tend to galvanize a fan base and the Avs had a couple.

Both also teams had periods of futility that can really kill casual interest. As any real Nuggets fan knows, their history is pretty painful overall. Even the good teams they've had could never get over the hump, and their best teams were always looking up at the Lakers. Hardcore, longtime Nuggets fans are a dedicated but fairly small group of the Denver sports market. Basketball is a more accessible sport to play and more casually popular but a lot of basketball fans in Denver end up rooting for other teams.

14. sethro109

sethro109 Registered User

Fire Sprinklers
    I'm pretty sure the home team always gets the main channel.

15. Gabe MacAntanen

Gabe MacAntanen Registered User

Denver is 70 to 77% white. White Americans are bigots. Hockey is a predominantly white sport. So obviously, the Nuggets are the more popular of the two teams. ;-)

16. famicommander

famicommander Registered User

Updated attendance:
    Broncos: 76,446
    Rockies: 37,233
    Nuggets: 18,124
    Avalanche: 17,165
    Rapids: 15,333
    Mammoth: 14,077
    Outlaws: 7,758

Nuggets and Avs attendance is still climbing as the seasons go along.

Mammoth have still only played one home game so that's last season's number.