GDT: Avs vs Jets 6PM MST: We're better on the road right?

Discussion in 'Colorado Avalanche' started by The Abusement Park, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Pokecheque

Pokecheque armoredheadspace Sponsor

Wannabe Blogger
    Home Page:
    The team didn't play like Bednar gave up on them, I think you're reading too much into that.

Varly hasn't played in a while, as others have said that's more than a little risky to put him in for major minutes in a game and then have to start the very next game of a back-to-back.

2. klozge

klozge Avs

Home Page:
    It's not ideal but I don't think it's that risky. Plus, in that situation there wasn't really another choice to make. Now the points are gone, Grubauer has lost the last bit of trust the team had in him, Bednar has lost more of the faith the players have or had in him and there's even more pressure on Varly to perform well tonight.

3. klozge

klozge Avs

Home Page:
    I felt like Bednar was doing nothing to help the team. Obviously I can't speak for the players but I imagine they talked about it quite a lot after the game.

4. Hesher

Hesher Sagan for President

Wheeler only had 4 points. That's progress.

Iceberg likes this.
  5. Pokecheque

Pokecheque armoredheadspace Sponsor

Wannabe Blogger
    Home Page:
    I don't envy Bednar in this situation. He's had to try and make the transition from Varly to Grubauer, and neither goalie has made it easy in any way. And it's not helping that this team still looks like a goddamn trainwreck defensively. That might be one of many reasons why they don't just want to throw Frank out there and let him get shelled.

Not sure how big a part he plays in things but right now the defense is struggling mightily, both in terms of the blueline corps and a team perspective. How much of that is on Nolan Pratt? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now since the defense looked to be on track last year at least, but...dude...y'all need to start figuring this **** out.

6. Bender

Bender TheHockeyProspector

Home Page:
    I hear what you're saying and I'm not saying 'trade Barrie for a bunch of garbage'. Tyson Barrie is a very good player that can put up points as a D-Man like very few can in the NHL. For that reason, I expect to get a very good player back in return.

But the reality of the situation is that the Avs went out and drafted a kid like Makar 4th overall for a reason and while it's unfair to put lofty offensive expectations on a kid like that right away (I agree that it is) I believe that the assumption from management is that he's going to get to that kind of level within 2-3 years or close to it. It might happen sooner but until that time comes, it's going to be 'offense by committee' from guys who aren't exactly strangers to putting up numbers at least in junior. Girard, Makar and Timmins all have an offensive component to their game.

When you factor in that the last time Barrie was up for a new contract, they went to arbitration and settled on a contract prior to the ruling - it wouldn't shock me in the least if he was moved between now and the draft while he still has 1 year left on his contract. I'm just reading the tea leaves here...but the fact that they drafted 2 RHD with their 1st and 2nd round picks a year and a half ago + had interest in Shattenkirk before he signed with NYR is very telling and indicates to me that they're likely to avoid getting into contract talks this time around. Just my opinion.

Iceberg likes this.
  7. Ivan13

Ivan13 Super Joe!

Me thinks the seat is getting hot for Bednar.

klozge likes this.
  8. The Abusement Park

The Abusement Park Registered User

It's gotta be. I was warming up to Bednar at the beginning of the season, but a good amount of the reasons I wanted him fired after his 1st season are popping up again and I think he isn't the guy to get us over the hump.

9. Foppberg

Foppberg Registered User Sponsor

Hard to know what's going on.

Easy as a fan to assume the worst when it comes to Mack/JB.

10. Ivan13

Ivan13 Super Joe!

It's no big deal really. Things got heated, I mean how would you feel if you did everything in your power to win, to the tune of demolishing everyone the opposing team throws your way only to see the lower lines, D and goalies throw away the 12th game out of the last 15? Bednar needs to take accountability for not getting anything out of bottom 9 offensively. Come to your senses and move Soda up, him being sacrificed as a checking center is doing nothing at the moment, the only way this team can win now is by scoring as much as possible.

CobraAcesS and Pokecheque like this.