GDT: Avs vs Jets 6PM MST: We're better on the road right?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's crazy to me how many people don't understand this. This team isn't a contender yet, and shouldn't make any drastic moves to try and be. We are one of the few teams in the league that clearly has a huge chance of being a contender soon. This season has had a ton of upside, and has proven that we still have holes that need to be filled. We have major help coming, and most teams can't say the same.
Not really their fault. The Avs hot start really gave people this idea that not only were we playoff contenders but cup contenders. Many people were saying that in GDT's. The real ones know what this team is and I think this team is a bubble team. Hell we only made it by winning the final game of the season last season. I expect something similar again.

Reactions: Foppberg

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs aren't even playing like a bubble team lately, they look like a lottery team

Reactions: klozge

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
They played well the last few games imo. I thought they looked good. Special teams killed us, goaltending killed us and Ian Cole killed us.
Absolutely true. Grubauer should statistically have a few more pucks hit him right? First two goals were Coles fault. Especially that two on two. What the heck...

Reactions: The Kingslayer

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Thing is, we weren’t getting insane goaltending to start the year either, we were just playing a little less lazily defensively.

We can win games if our goaltending is even just solid. Mediocre might even do. But trash fire goaltending isn’t something we can overcome yet.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Thing is, we weren’t getting insane goaltending to start the year either, we were just playing a little less lazily defensively.

We can win games if our goaltending is even just solid. Mediocre might even do. But trash fire goaltending isn’t something we can overcome yet.

We were definitely getting better then we are now though. Before December Varly was in the vezina conversations.

With even just average goaltending the last 15 games we'd probably have 2-3 more wins which would make all kinds of difference right now.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
We were definitely getting better then we are now though. Before December Varly was in the vezina conversations.

With even just average goaltending the last 15 games we'd probably have 2-3 more wins which would make all kinds of difference right now.
At least 3. Probably closer to 5-6.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This team's drop off has coincided with Ian Cole looking like a #6 defensemen for the last month-plus, and at a time when this team has desperately needed someone to step up in his place, nobody has. At least not defensively.

I still maintain that by far - BY FAR - the most disappointing player this season is Erik Johnson. He just doesn't look effective whatsoever out there. Looks like a poor man's Adam Larsson right now, and that's not good. He can't seem to catch a pass to save his life, has lost all offensive instincts, and isn't doing a good job as a shutdown guy against the other team's top players.

He needs to get his **** together and fast.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They played well the last few games imo. I thought they looked good. Special teams killed us, goaltending killed us and Ian Cole killed us.
Whatever it is, this team finds ways to lose instead of win. They've been falling behind every game and making an attempt to come back only to come up short. I wouldn't say they've look good. They haven't played a full 60 minute game pretty much majority of the season so far. Tonight they looked good, but again not for full 60 minutes. They quickly fell behind by 2 again and then decided to play hard for another come back attempt. Grubauer was probably the biggest reason for a loss tonight but you cant keep playing catch up every game

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Can't take a penalty, or it's an auto goal against this year. That's a good way to find yourself missing the playoffs. Really miss the PK from last year.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
For the record my comment wasn't for today, but it seems that whenever Grubs plays, there are certain posters who awake from the shadows even if we win the effin' game. It is quite annoying.

Well he lacks the fundamentals to be a starting goalie in NHL and still there are people who want to give him a chance because he has a winning record. People just don't remember he has gotten absurd amount of goal support and sneaked his way out of a losses after getting pulled. Also I am seeing way too much posts where guys are saying "Grubauer sucks and Varly sucks" even though one has 2.80 GAA with .912 SVS% and the other one has 3.29 GAA with .895 SVS%. That second round pick we traded to Caps is sunken cost now and Grubauer shouldn't get any more leash because of that. This time it didn't work so best thing would be to move on from him.

Reactions: klozge

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
We are still a bubble team fighting for a wildcard. That´s it. Dallas is not better than us, but they find a way to win a game against St. Louis, LA or even Chicago. We are lucky to earn an OT-Point against those teams. This season our division is not a bloodbath like years before and still we can´t take advantage for good.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Yeah, but what should we do now? Trade him? His value is low right now.

Give most of the starts to Varly and Francouz for a while. Let Grubs train with the team and build some confidence againts easier opponents. Avs have 19 games before the trade deadline. In ideal situation you split starts with Varly and Francouz like 8-8 and give Grubauer couple of games to showcase himself. Varly and Francouz should be extended before dealing with Grubauer. Grubauer isn't this bad but right now he doesn't have any confidence and looks way too much defeated after giving up goals.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Could tell this wasn't going to end well when Grubauer looked shaky early. They needed him against this Jets squad. Gave up some real bad rebounds and left the net wide open twice but was bailed out by good defensive plays. Unfortunately those good defensive plays disappeared on a couple goals, then he gave up some more softies.

Gonna be a huge game for Varly against Calgary. He usually looks a little rusty his first game back but he needs to find a way to come up big. This team really needs a good performance from a goaltender. They might be on the verge of losing confidence here with all the breaks going against them. Things will snowball out of control if that happens.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Even if Avs draft Hughes or Kakko, seems like this team is just full of problems. One thing gets fixed, another gets broken.

Fix the forwards, D is the problem, fix the D, goalie is the problem and on and on. Kakko or Hughes will fix the secondary scoring problem, now the worry going forward will be the goalie situation.

I'm just hoping, someday this team will put it all together. We've been waiting for a very long time.

Sounds like my golf game.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
That game was lost by Bednar. Keeping a goalie in who clearly couldn't stop anything was puzzling to say it nicely. Sakic needs to get rid of both Grubauer and Bednar. Quickly.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
We are still a bubble team fighting for a wildcard. That´s it. Dallas is not better than us, but they find a way to win a game against St. Louis, LA or even Chicago. We are lucky to earn an OT-Point against those teams. This season our division is not a bloodbath like years before and still we can´t take advantage for good.
Yeah they are. The Avs are one line. Some random middle pair d man and ahl goaltending, Dallas is a better team.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Give most of the starts to Varly and Francouz for a while. Let Grubs train with the team and build some confidence againts easier opponents. Avs have 19 games before the trade deadline. In ideal situation you split starts with Varly and Francouz like 8-8 and give Grubauer couple of games to showcase himself. Varly and Francouz should be extended before dealing with Grubauer. Grubauer isn't this bad but right now he doesn't have any confidence and looks way too much defeated after giving up goals.

I was more concerned about the next year. But yeah I agree, let's just hope he digs himself out of the hole he's currently in.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Can't take a penalty, or it's an auto goal against this year. That's a good way to find yourself missing the playoffs. Really miss the PK from last year.
Even at the start of this very season Avs were really good on the PK and defensively in general. Then Bednar started to punish physical play (Zadorov) and everything involving defense went downhill.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Seriously what does it take to get Francouz a start?

The Avs goaltending has been pathetic for a while and the team is sinking like a bag of rocks. Francouz looked solid in the few minutes that he played. There is nothing to lose but still Bednar goes with Grubauer who looks like shit.

Varly is an UFA so it makes perfect sense to see what Pavel can do before possibly losing both to free agency. It's going to be ridiculous if Francouz does not get a single start in the NHL this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->