GDT: Avs vs Jets 6PM MST: We're better on the road right?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I look forward to the possibility of Kakko or Hughes at least
Even if Avs draft Hughes or Kakko, seems like this team is just full of problems. One thing gets fixed, another gets broken.

Fix the forwards, D is the problem, fix the D, goalie is the problem and on and on. Kakko or Hughes will fix the secondary scoring problem, now the worry going forward will be the goalie situation.

I'm just hoping, someday this team will put it all together. We've been waiting for a very long time.

Reactions: MacBradley

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Anyway good showing by the team overall. Did not expect them to play this well vs Jets who I consider one of the actual contenders for the cup and a bad match-up for us in general. If they can keep it up the wins will come.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Even if Avs draft Hughes or Kakko, seems like this team is just full of problems. One thing gets fixed, another gets broken.

Fix the forwards, D is the problem, fix the D, goalie is the problem and on and on. Kakko or Hughes will fix the secondary scoring problem, now the worry going forward will be the goalie situation.

I'm just hoping, someday this team will put it all together. We've been waiting for a very long time.
When did we fix the D?

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
So If the Avs call up Frank (which i am in favour of), what do we do if he loses his first game? and the second?. I'm not sure that Bednar is going to trust him to get them out of their slump, not when you are paying over $9 million dollars between your two NHL goalies. Varly has sucked, Grubi has sucked, the whole team for the most part has sucked. Since the start of December our PP can't score, our PK is awful, top line has struggled, goalies can't stop the puck. The boys have to play through this, i don't see any other option. No big trade is coming to save them, they need to figure it out on their own, the lot of them, and fast.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
When did we fix the D?
Well, they didn't necessarily fixed it, but improved it from the days of Holden,Guenin etc...but now EJ is regressing, Makar should help, but they still need a true #1 guy back there.

I've given up on Varly, not only he has been average this year, but he's always hurt. I was hoping Grubauer would fix the goaltending issue, but he hasn't, and it's becoming kind of obvious that the guy just isn't a NHL starter.

So what happens with goaltending?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Well, they didn't necessarily fixed it, but improved it from the days of Holden,Guenin etc...but now EJ is regressing, Makar should help, but they still need a true #1 guy back there.

I've given up on Varly, not only he has been average this year, but he's always hurt. I was hoping Grubauer would fix the goaltending issue, but he hasn't, and it's becoming kind of obvious that the guy just isn't a NHL starter.

So what happens with goaltending?
Pray Francouz can be the saviour. Maybe draft one with our pick in the next draft. We cant ill afford to waste Mackinnons great contract by having shit goaltending. Look at the flyers as an example wasting away Giroux's best years.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sakic thought goaltending would be a strength this year. Not sure how but we better find a solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: klozge and AvsGuy

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
As Rycroft stated, the Avs had some horrific, unsound defensive hockey.
Our 3 defensive pillars this year should have been Cole, EJ and Girard. None of them has been playing up to the expectations.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Pray Francouz can be the saviour. Maybe draft one with our pick in the next draft. We cant ill afford to waste Mackinnons great contract by having **** goaltending. Look at the flyers as an example wasting away Giroux's best years.
I couldn't agree with this more. Imagine if Avs miss the playoffs, what a waste would Rantanen's and MacKinnon's season be as well, if they both hit 100+points

Last edited:

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Sakic thought goaltending would be a strength this year. Not sure how but we're better find a solution.
He wasn't the only one. I mean what could possibly go wrong with Varly (1a), Grubauer (1b) and Francouz (1c)? 3 potential starters and still we are losing too many games BECAUSE of goaltending. Kind of hllarious when you think about it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Let's all remind ourselves that Sammy is still 20 years old. If that excuse still holds water for Jost, shouldn't it hold for G as well? I get he's not playing great but I think he'll be fine. I'm way more concerned about EJ...though I didn't think he was bad tonight at all.

So anyway, Graves is really making a case to stay. The wraparound goal was nice.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We have too much in common with the Oilers to my liking.
On Paper Avs have or should have had better goaltending and defense than the Oilers, but the forward situation is pretty similar to the Oilers.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Let's all remind ourselves that Sammy is still 20 years old. If that excuse still holds water for Jost, shouldn't it hold for G as well? I get he's not playing great but I think he'll be fine. I'm way more concerned about EJ...though I didn't think he was bad tonight at all.

So anyway, Graves is really making a case to stay. The wraparound goal was nice.
Yeah I'm not worried about Girard. Many, many dmen seem to have difficulties after a great rookie year.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Btw, tomorrow would be a great game for Varly to get out of his phunk. He is playing "OMG you suck play Grubauer" bad ever since our first visit to Calgary. Complete the cycle mate - i know you can do it!

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
We are a bubble team. People need to forget about that hot start and having such high expectations. They teased us now they are showing us the goods and frankly its yucks.
It's crazy to me how many people don't understand this. This team isn't a contender yet, and shouldn't make any drastic moves to try and be. We are one of the few teams in the league that clearly has a huge chance of being a contender soon. This season has had a ton of upside, and has proven that we still have holes that need to be filled. We have major help coming, and most teams can't say the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad