Avs to get Stadium Series at USAFA next year

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Dallas is getting the Winter Classic, doubt they'll also be in the Stadium Series game. It'd be cool if it was us versus you guys, but the Wild seem more likely.

Yeah I seen that just after I posted. Sucks though..

I hope you guys can dig up Hatcher for the alumni game lol. I'm not sure if hes one of these guys who has suffered badly in his life post NHL though.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Should be Dallas. Then they can at least have a decent alumni game with an old rival.

Who are they gonna get for the Kings alumni game? They gonna drag up Ziggy Palffy from wherever he's been? Bring back Matty Nordstrom and Phillippe Boucher to take away another organ from Peter Forsberg?

Not gonna lie, these outdoor games do almost nothing for me anymore. Would rather they give Colorado the draft or the All Star game instead.
Gretzky, Robitaille, Blake, Jamie Storr, Cechmanek, Olli Jokinen, Ray Ferraro, Sean O'Donnell, Anson Carter, Eric Belanger, Aki Berg... I'm the GM of the alumni team.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Never got the appeal of these things, never will. Seems more like a distraction that is a negative on the season rather than something good.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Never got the appeal of these things, never will. Seems more like a distraction that is a negative on the season rather than something good.

I think it is kind of funny that people even make the effort to have a negative opinion. I completely get not being that interested in it, but in the end so f***ing what? I've got some opinions about how much certain teams have been involved, but it is just straight up resentment or outright negativity to completely trash out door games.

The NHL likes to make money, and fans have generally turned out in force for these things. Why the f*** would the NHL step back from that?

The entire opinion that these things are somehow something negative is f***ing stupid. The fans of the teams involved other than the Mild seems to think they're worth selling out. Also novelty is a huge part of any sport. They'd be stupid not to capitalize on it to an extent.

All of you guys who bash these thing constantly just come off as hockey elitist shit heads. Seriously..

Guess what? There are hockey fans out there who didn't get to skate on the pond or river every day and risk our lives to play hockey with the very threat of falling through the ice to your death. Some of us find these outdoor games played at a high level with elite player to be entertaining. What a f***ing huge surprise.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I think it is kind of funny that people even make the effort to have a negative opinion. I completely get not being that interested in it, but in the end so ****ing what? I've got some opinions about how much certain teams have been involved, but it is just straight up resentment or outright negativity to completely trash out door games.

The NHL likes to make money, and fans have generally turned out in force for these things. Why the **** would the NHL step back from that?

The entire opinion that these things are somehow something negative is ****ing stupid. The fans of the teams involved other than the Mild seems to think they're worth selling out. Also novelty is a huge part of any sport. They'd be stupid not to capitalize on it to an extent.

So everyone who doesn't like something should keep his mouth shut? Did I say a damn thing about the NHL's monetization and the reasoning on their end? I get why they are doing it, they are milking a cash cow and they are obviously doing well there. I was commenting on my POV, the novelty wore off really quickly because they are shoving it down our throats.

This place is honestly becoming a cesspool where any opinion that does not conform to the hive mind, or is a little bit different is ridiculed. Quite a few people are acting like pricks (myself included as I let myself be baited quite a lot lately) or are just trolling and ruining the board. A while ago this place was quite more enjoyable, sure I got into quite a bit of arguments, but they were generally well mannered and backed up with facts and not hot takes.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So everyone who doesn't like something should keep his mouth shut? Did I say a damn thing about the NHL's monetization and the reasoning on their end? I get why they are doing it, they are milking a cash cow and they are obviously doing well there. I was commenting on my POV, the novelty wore off really quickly because they are shoving it down our throats.

This place is honestly becoming a cesspool where any opinion that does not conform to the hive mind, or is a little bit different is ridiculed. Quite a few people are acting like pricks (myself included as I let myself be baited quite a lot lately) or are just trolling and ruining the board. A while ago this place was quite more enjoyable, sure I got into quite a bit of arguments, but they were generally well mannered and backed up with facts and not hot takes.

Guess what I had a problem with your opinion, and it wasn't a personal attack. I think I did a fairly admirable job of placing it in a context as to why it matters to certain fans of the sport.

Guess what? The novelty has not worn off for certain people. That fact was the point of the post. Also some of the people who post don't take other fan perspective into consideration in the least when they judge these things.

I didn't call you an asshole, but I did question you judging something from a narrow context.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Gretzky, Robitaille, Blake, Jamie Storr, Cechmanek, Olli Jokinen, Ray Ferraro, Sean O'Donnell, Anson Carter, Eric Belanger, Aki Berg... I'm the GM of the alumni team.

I think Jamie Storr might be the only one I associate with the Kings-Avs rivalry back then. Belanger a little but he didn't play a big role.

Wouldn't mind seeing Forsberg do this to Ferraro again though.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Guess what I had a problem with your opinion, and it wasn't a personal attack. I think I did a fairly admirable job of placing it in a context as to why it matters to certain fans of the sport.

Guess what? The novelty has not worn off for certain people. That fact was the point of the post. Also some of the people who post don't take other fan perspective into consideration in the least they judge these things.

I didn't call you an *******, but I did question you judging something from a narrow context.

All fair, my post was more a general view of the boards. Quite frankly I liek you as a poster, and I think you do offer a valuable outlook on quite a few aspects, and maybe I am close-minded in regards to that, but that is just m opinion.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
All fair, my post was more a general view of the boards. Quite frankly I liek you as a poster, and I think you do offer a valuable outlook on quite a few aspects, and maybe I am close-minded in regards to that, but that is just m opinion.

Completely fair, but there is a different perspective that I think gets almost zero respect sometimes. I grew up in California, and then Washington State. We really never had the opportunity to experience the game in that way, and the out door games really resonate with someone like me who has a very deep respect and passion for the game. I wish I had grown up in Canada or some place who had out door rinks regularly, but I didn't, and I love the game just as much. So I place a high value on seeing elite players in an out door game.

I do think the NHL is over doing it to an extent, but it isn't without value to some of us fans.

Reactions: Ivan13

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
@Ivan13 We've had some heated disagreements over the years, but I've always respected your willingness to elaborate on your perspective, and engage meaningfully. That has a lot of value, and you've always had my respect. Even if I think you're wrong sometimes lol. There has also been plenty of times when I've agreed with you though. It just hasn't been a loud affair in those events. I'd never place value on attacking you personally in any event. Sometimes some things strike a nerve and someones post becomes a sounding board for a larger complaint.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
@Ivan13 We've had some heated disagreements over the years, but I've always respected your willingness to elaborate on your perspective, and engage meaningfully. That has a lot of value, and you've always had my respect. Even if I think you're wrong sometimes lol.
Likewise :)

PS

Reading some of my posts I made lately I kind of feel I posted quite a lot of crap and got away from explaining my position in a well thought out civil manner. Far too many hot takes and annoying posts.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Likewise :)

PS

Reading some of my posts I made lately I kind of feel I posted quite a lot of crap and got away from explaining my position in a well thought out civil manner. Far too many hot takes and annoying posts.

I expanded that post a bit, but yeah... Sometimes it is difficult to feel like it is worth the effort these days with the hyperbole around here. Sometimes a short post with a face palm emoji is just as good.

I really do enjoy your direct perspective a lot of times agree or disagree. I place a high value and respect on directness. It is much easier to take in and understand especially when attempting to be objective.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The AFA hockey rink was one of my favorite places to play as a kid. I regret not seeing any football games during the heyday of Fisher DeBerry.

This sounds pretty cool, although since it's a Stadium Series and not a Winter Classic the jerseys are sure to suck.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Hey guys, wondering if you could provide any insights as to places nearby to stay? (Think areas, not hotels/VRBO's etc) I have been meaning to visit my friend out in Denver so we are trying to plan something around this. Hopefully something a little remote or a small town. We would want to do some hiking and check out some breweries as well.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Well, the novelty factor is what really drives it--I still think it's a great idea from a marketing/exposure perspective, but they're overdoing it IMO. They've actually gotten some good ideas (again from a marketing perspective) from these Stadium Series games as well.

The real downside is the hockey itself. Bad camera angles, and the quality of play is usually just not great. But, I can see why the league keeps doing it, it's just unfortunate they're overdoing it.

I'll admit I loved seeing hockey at Coors Field, and the alumni game was awesome just to see the classic players in the classic jerseys playing it out (and unlike the actual Avs team at the time, they frickin' won).

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm only realizing now that they're likely going to do some kind of Air Force theme with the jersey, which has the potential to be frickin' awesome, but could also be a disaster. Guess we'll see.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Eh...whatever. I'm largely over these outdoor games but the spectacle should be fun to watch, even if the game isn't.

If they do an alumni game...which side does Rob Blake pick? I suppose it depends on if he's still employed by the Kings at that point. :laugh:

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Eh...whatever. I'm largely over these outdoor games but the spectacle should be fun to watch, even if the game isn't.

If they do an alumni game...which side does Rob Blake pick? I suppose it depends on if he's still employed by the Kings at that point. :laugh:
Maybe he plays Kings 1st period, Avs 2nd, and Kings 3rd

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Have to see what the schedule looks like but I may make the trip from Newfoundland for this.

Hopefully they play a home game before or after to make it a worthy trip for more than just a single game.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kings? Not sure I like that to be fairly honest, they're a pretty boring team and being as bad as they've been will make the game that much worse. Would have much rather had Vegas or someone one else with speed.

Reactions: McMetal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad