Avs Teams With Different Draft Picks

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This is all for fun and games, not meant to start a debate over how good player x is or how bad player y is, just a fun little comparison from 2009-present with our picks, primarily using 1st rounders. You can replace any 1st round pick we've had, but it has to be a player who was taken after our pick, and assemble the team using those players + other current players on our roster, and see what our team would look like with different picks.

2009 Draft, 3rd Overall Pick: Oliver-Ekman Larsson (Pains me to have to not take Dutchy)
2010 Draft, 17th Overall Pick: Charlie Coyle
2011 Draft, 2nd Overall Pick: Mark Scheifele
2011 Draft, 11th Overall Pick: Nathan Beaulieau
2013 Draft, 1st Overall Pick: Jonathan Drouin

Lineup:

Drouin-O'Reilly-Iginla
McGinn-Scheifele-Coyle
Tanguay-Mitchell-Everberg
McLeod-Winchester-Talbot

Ekman-Larsson-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Beaulieau-Stuart/Redmond

Varlamov

Better roster? Worse? Forward depth takes a serious hit, but the defence is arguable much better, at least on paper. Are there other players you'd take instead? Create your own lineup, god knows it's been as much fun doing this as it has watching actual Avs games :(

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
This is all for fun and games, not meant to start a debate over how good player x is or how bad player y is, just a fun little comparison from 2009-present with our picks, primarily using 1st rounders. You can replace any 1st round pick we've had, but it has to be a player who was taken after our pick, and assemble the team using those players + other current players on our roster, and see what our team would look like with different picks.

2009 Draft, 3rd Overall Pick: Oliver-Ekman Larsson (Pains me to have to not take Dutchy)
2010 Draft, 17th Overall Pick: Charlie Coyle
2011 Draft, 2nd Overall Pick: Mark Scheifele
2011 Draft, 11th Overall Pick: Nathan Beaulieau
2013 Draft, 1st Overall Pick: Jonathan Drouin

Lineup:

Drouin-O'Reilly-Iginla
McGinn-Scheifele-Coyle
Tanguay-Mitchell-Everberg
McLeod-Winchester-Talbot

Ekman-Larsson-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Beaulieau-Stuart/Redmond

Varlamov

Better roster? Worse? Forward depth takes a serious hit, but the defence is arguable much better, at least on paper. Are there other players you'd take instead? Create your own lineup, god knows it's been as much fun doing this as it has watching actual Avs games :(

Hmmm :sarcasm:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
2009: Oliver Ekman-Larsson
2010: Nick Bjugstad
2011: Sean Couturier
2011: Oscar Klefbom
2012: Colton Sissons
2013: Seth Jones

ROR-Couturier-Iginla
Tanguay-Bjugstad-McGinn
Everberg-Mitchell-Sissons
McLeod-Winchester-Talbot
Bordy/Briere

OEL-EJ
Hejda-Jones
Stuart/Klefbom-Barrie
Klefbom/Stuart
Redmond

Varly
Berra

Banished to the AHL FOREVER
Cliche
Guenin
Holden
Wilson

The D gets infinitely better, both in terms of offensive production and defensive strength, while Couts, Bjug and Sissons make our forwards way more defensively sound but maybe sacrificing some offense in the process. Forward depth takes a hit, but it's MUCH easier to acquire depth forwards (for lower-end draft picks/prospects) than it is top-4 D.

Last edited:

Over the Pants Landy

Feb 19, 2013
CT
2009: Oliver Ekman-Larsson
2010: Nick Bjugstad
2011: Sean Couturier
2011: Oscar Klefbom
2012: Colton Sissons
2013: Seth Jones

ROR-Couturier-Iginla
Tanguay-Bjugstad-McGinn
Everberg-Mitchell-Sissons
McLeod-Winchester-Talbot
Bordy/Briere

OEL-EJ
Hejda-Jones
Stuart/Klefbom-Barrie
Klefbom/Stuart
Redmond

Varly
Berra

Banished to the AHL FOREVER
Cliche
Guenin
Holden
Wilson

The D gets infinitely better, both in terms of offensive production and defensive strength, while Couts, Bjug and Sissons make our forwards way more defensively sound but maybe sacrificing some offense in the process. Forward depth takes a hit, but it's MUCH easier to acquire depth forwards (for lower-end draft picks/prospects) than it is top-4 D.

That defense :naughty:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I think this team is way more exciting to watch with MacK and Duchene. I wouldn't change them. MacK/Duchene are players why I want to watch hockey, fast, highly skilled, exciting..

Well I'm sure we all would but that's not the point of this little game.

But as for being more exciting to watch, I'd rather watch teams like LA win and be less excited than watching Dutch and MacK try so hard but fail because they have terrible/underperforming/slow linemates :laugh:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
True. Last season they were really good though.

Yeah, I know. They can take my breath away and literally bring me up out of my chair when they've got IT going...but boy, when IT isn't happening it can be really difficult to sit through a game much less a prolonged slump or loosing season.

To get on topic with the thread, I'm not really sure I single out one single pick or even group of picks that were absolutely unforgivable. Sure hindsight being 20/20 we can act all indignant and certainly Hishon and Heard raised some eyebrows but atrocious? What I find atrocious is the track record with Dmen...

Chicago was lucky their D horses came first and were really coming into their own by the time they landed their superstar forwards. Seems like the AVs are the reverse, they've stockpiled the forward groups and while they are flashy they aren't going anywhere until the backend gets developed properly.

[edit...Maybe this is why so many believe you should build from the net out. It takes longer for dmen to develop properly and the fact is, it's easier to get forwards. When you have the forward horses but a terrible back end, the patience might get lost a little easier because it looks like you should be doing better...who knows...]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad