Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Zadorov to 2 year deal ($2.15M AAV)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This is probably gonna be the make or break year for Zads. He's gonna be playing with the best possible partner for him and given a great opportunity to really establish himself as a real good, mean Dman in the league.

Really hoping he takes this opportunity and runs with it, though I'm not convinced that he will.

Still only 22 years old but I think we're getting there. He needs to take a few steps forward and play consistently for an entire season. I said before last season I'll be happy/content if he becomes a #4 for us and still feel the same way.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is probably gonna be the make or break year for Zads. He's gonna be playing with the best possible partner for him and given a great opportunity to really establish himself as a real good, mean Dman in the league.

Really hoping he takes this opportunity and runs with it, though I'm not convinced that he will.

He turned 22 in April. He's still got a few more years of development as a defenseman, before we really know the level he'll play at in the NHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I wouldn't say year, but this is his make or break contract. If he is still inconsistent by the end of it, I could see the Avs just stepping away.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wouldn't say year, but this is his make or break contract. If he is still inconsistent by the end of it, I could see the Avs just stepping away.

Letting him walk or trading him? He'd have to be at Wiercioch level for them to just walk away. I don't see that happening.

He'll be a mobile big bodied physical defensive defenseman at worst. He'll have a spot on the 3rd pairing of most teams. Wiercioch has a hard time cracking the 3rd pair of most teams.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

..? Uhhh. Can't say I agree with you there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Letting him walk or trading him? He'd have to be at Wiercioch level for them to just walk away. I don't see that happening.

He'll be a mobile big bodied physical defensive defenseman at worst. He'll have a spot on the 3rd pairing of most teams. Wiercioch has a hard time cracking the 3rd pair of most teams.

2.3m QO and KHL possibility... if Z isn't an established top 4 guy here by the end of this contract, he will not be an Av 19-20. Could be by trade, but I'd guess by just not qualifying him.

I wish you had a more positive tone when you talked about Zadorov. :shakehead

I'm not positive just for the sake of being positive. I wouldn't say I'm negative on Z either... I just call it like I see it.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I really really hope the offense comes together for him this year

He had some nice moments but i cant shake the feeling of "so-so" when it comes to Z

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
2.3m QO and KHL possibility... if Z isn't an established top 4 guy here by the end of this contract, he will not be an Av 19-20. Could be by trade, but I'd guess by just not qualifying him.

I'm not positive just for the sake of being positive. I wouldn't say I'm negative on Z either... I just call it like I see it.

If there was one thing I could hope you're wrong about it's Z's potential, as a whole, and offensively.

The other is Duchene's drop off, but I don't care much about that as long as we get a good return before it happens.

I do however hope you're roses and sunshine view of how Landeskog's game will progress here in the next few years is accurate.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If there was one thing I could hope you're wrong about it's Z's potential, as a whole, and offensively.

The other is Duchene's drop off, but I don't care much about that as long as we get a good return before it happens.

I do however hope you're roses and sunshine view of how Landeskog's game will progress here in the next few years is accurate.

I've never been that down on Z's potential. He has top paring upside and decent enough offensive tools to be a 30 point guy. I just think he suffers from low hockey IQ and too much drift in his game. He can clean it up and be a good player, but low IQ players are a risky bet to fully pan out. Right now Z is a 5/6 with potential. I'd be happy with him being a 3/4 by the end of this contract.

I see a lot of warning signs with Duchene and you combine that with his age and you have a pretty normal progression for a NHL player.

I don't think I have roses and sunshine for Landy... he's already peaked, but he has good prime years left and should return to his mid 50 point top line winger self.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I've never been that down on Z's potential. He has top paring upside and decent enough offensive tools to be a 30 point guy. I just think he suffers from low hockey IQ and too much drift in his game. He can clean it up and be a good player, but low IQ players are a risky bet to fully pan out. Right now Z is a 5/6 with potential. I'd be happy with him being a 3/4 by the end of this contract.

I see a lot of warning signs with Duchene and you combine that with his age and you have a pretty normal progression for a NHL player.

I don't think I have roses and sunshine for Landy... he's already peaked, but he has good prime years left and should return to his mid 50 point top line winger self.

I've always thought Z's mistakes in game reads came more from nerves than lack of IQ. Burns isn't the smartest player in the world either. I think when Z is comfortable his tools make him almost impossible to beat, and he has plenty of creativity as well.

I think we seen him getting used to the NHL game with his hits. You don't catch some of the guys he was without being able to make the right reads.

We'll see, I just hope you are wrong on his IQ.

I'll leave the other topics alone lol.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Maybe with the current state of the team in its unofficial rebuilding mode Z will feel more free to do Z stuff and just go out and wreck $h!t and make mistakes cause even if we play a pitch perfect game we're still gonna lose ya know so just go out and play and take chances

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

If he can consistently give us the Zads we got for the final 20ish games before his injury, does that qualify?

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Maybe with the current state of the team in its unofficial rebuilding mode Z will feel more free to do Z stuff and just go out and wreck $h!t and make mistakes cause even if we play a pitch perfect game we're still gonna lose ya know so just go out and play and take chances

I'd imagine his leash will be much longer this year without beauchemin munching big minutes. He will have a bigger role and more growth hopefully. I don't think he will be as worried about making mistakes. They're not gonna send him down to San antonio

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I keep hearing about untapped offensive potential, I'd like to see that. Sometimes they can surprise you. Maybe he'll be another Ossi Vaananen with better skating ability. :dunno: That dude was highly undervalued.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If he can consistently give us the Zads we got for the final 20ish games before his injury, does that qualify?

Consistency is Z's biggest issue, but I'm not quite even with that. He needs some offensive pop too. He had 4 points over his last 20, 6 over his last 30... Unless a player is absolutely elite in a shutdown role, more has to be expected there. And Z wasn't elite in a shutdown role during that time. Solid, but not elite.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Consistency is Z's biggest issue, but I'm not quite even with that. He needs some offensive pop too. He had 4 points over his last 20, 6 over his last 30... Unless a player is absolutely elite in a shutdown role, more has to be expected there. And Z wasn't elite in a shutdown role during that time. Solid, but not elite.

I'm not saying Zads was creating, but even if he was creating last season it wouldn't have shown up
On the stat sheet

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Put Zadorov consistently on the PP and get him to work on hitting the net and I guarantee you he's going to generate more points offensively.

The problem was coaches for some reason were fixated on other players playing the point on the PP last season, be it Beauchemin (gross) or Barberio when he got here or whoever.

I get the "he has to earn it" argument for Zadorov in that he needs to prove he's reliable defensively first. But I can't knock his offensive game without seeing him get a proper opportunity on the PP.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Put Zadorov consistently on the PP and get him to work on hitting the net and I guarantee you he's going to generate more points offensively.

The problem was coaches for some reason were fixated on other players playing the point on the PP last season, be it Beauchemin (gross) or Barberio when he got here or whoever.

I get the "he has to earn it" argument for Zadorov in that he needs to prove he's reliable defensively first. But I can't knock his offensive game without seeing him get a proper opportunity on the PP.

I'd rather have him out there than someone like Beauchemin but I don't think he should be on the PP. He can still contribute offensively and show growth in that area at even strength. IMO, Barberio is a much better option on the 2nd PP unit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

To me, 5v5 points are far more important... but I don't think Z would be all that productive on the PP. He isn't a plus passer and his shot is wildly erratic accuracy wise.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd rather have him out there than someone like Beauchemin but I don't think he should be on the PP. He can still contribute offensively and show growth in that area at even strength. IMO, Barberio is a much better option on the 2nd PP unit.

Eh, it's been so, so long since we had someone who could fire bombs from the point. We see what it does with other PP's around the league with defensemen like Burns, Subban, Weber, etc. If you can work with Zadorov to fix his accuracy, you've got a lethal threat there.

To me, 5v5 points are far more important... but I don't think Z would be all that productive on the PP. He isn't a plus passer and his shot is wildly erratic accuracy wise.

It's easily, easily fixable. P.K. Subban used to have an extremely erratic shot from the point, too, and he has corrected that big time as he's gotten older.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's easily, easily fixable. P.K. Subban used to have an extremely erratic shot from the point, too, and he has corrected that big time as he's gotten older.

I don't agree with that. It is something that can be fixed, but there have been more stories of Cam Barkers than there have been of PK Subbans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad