Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Zadorov to 2 year deal ($2.15M AAV)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There's a long history of confusion over who is actually representing Russian players in negotiations. I'm taking the agent switch talk with a grain of salt for now.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Glad we got some more years of control here. I'm glad he really worked on his game in his end. I truly think he'll be a top two guy. If I was to guess on pairings I'd say

Zadorov EJ
Lindholm Barrie
Bigras Mironov

Seimins/cowen

I really wanna see meloche big minutes in San Antonio this year

Cowen shouldn't be on this team period. I agree with the rest including the pairings

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Where does Barberio go?

Bednar said Zadorov will start with Johnson, so my guess for D is:

Zadorov - Johnson
Lindholm - Barrie
Barberio - Mironov/Bigras

Barberio and Barrie together would be a defensive nightmare, so that's why I put Lindholm with him. Plus it sounds like they love him, so they could give me a big opportunity. Plus Barberio and Mironov or Bigras or whoever the hell should be able to offset each other nicely. Barring any sudden trades or waiver claims.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Bednar said Zadorov will start with Johnson, so my guess for D is:

Zadorov - Johnson
Lindholm - Barrie
Barberio - Mironov/Bigras

Barberio and Barrie together would be a defensive nightmare, so that's why I put Lindholm with him. Plus it sounds like they love him, so they could give me a big opportunity. Plus Barberio and Mironov or Bigras or whoever the hell should be able to offset each other nicely. Barring any sudden trades or waiver claims.

How does anyone figure Barberio is not sound defensively? In his 193 games, he's only a minus 1. Barrie is already minus 43 in his career.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Easily the best stat to determine ones defensive prowess:sarcasm:

I will say however that barberry-berry pairing has a good ring to it

Well, statistically it shows that he's not on the ice for many 5 on 5 goals against. Especially if you assume given production (especially assists), he's not too solid offensively.

That said, I do feel we'll have a waiver wire D-man at some point (hopefully a good one).

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
+/- as an argument for Defensive ability.... Yikes. That a pretty poor argument to put it lightly.

On an isolated basis, sure. That' because there are a lot of mitigants to it being just about defense. That's why I prefaced my comment with additional info I feel is relevant to Barberio's individual situation.

He is nowhere NEAR as bad as people are saying.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He's a fine bottom pairing defenseman, no more, no less. If Lindholm moves to the left, he will likely drop to the bottom pair. If Bigras plays well, he drops to #7. There's very little to lose by scratching him because he isn't going to grow his game any. If Bigras makes the team, he will spend a fair amount of time in the press box.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Honestly, what are people seeing in Bigras that warrants so much excitement? Now, I supplement that with the fact I haven't seen enough of him to render an educated statement on the level of his play.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm not sold on Bigras any more myself. I think he plays way too timid on the ice and has never really built the muscle that he needs in order to be successful in the NHL.

Probably didn't help that he spent half the year hurt last year. But unless he get stronger I dont see a big future for him either. Honestly like Lindholm as a prospect more at this stage.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I'm not sold on Bigras any more myself. I think he plays way too timid on the ice and has never really built the muscle that he needs in order to be successful in the NHL.

Probably didn't help that he spent half the year hurt last year. But unless he get stronger I dont see a big future for him either. Honestly like Lindholm as a prospect more at this stage.

Wait for it......I completely agree with that 100%.

I find he's in limbo in almost every area of his play.

Not sure what it'll take to spark him, but I really hope it happens soon. I thought he was going to tear the rookie Tourney apart, but it was more bleh.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's hard for me to write off a guy with his skating and smarts just yet. He might end up a bust, but I think it's too early to hold a funeral.

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
Bigras doesn't have a whole lot of weaknesses to his game. His problem is that he doesn't have enough strengths either. To make it in the NHL, you have to be able to contribute something. Bigras simply doesn't make much impact on the game.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This is getting OT. But the two best aspects to Bigras' game is skating and hockey IQ. He's not a puck mover per se but he's a great passer. He's a cerebral player and good positionally. There is no reason why he should be lost defensively or have his identity gone. IMO his main issues stem from trying to be someone he's not and I'm not sure where that originates from. Either it's what he feels he needs to do or was told to do or the byproduct of playing with stone hands pylons for too long. Now he's unsure and makes too many mistakes. It's a bit mind boggling that we got here.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Glad for the signing. Losing zads would hurt, now we need Jared who is big and injury prone to fly... man that would be huge getting him off a pto but im not holding breath...just dreaming

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think Bigras' issues all stem from his physicality. He gets knocked off the puck pretty easily and I think this maybe causes him to overthink thing and make plays that aren't great because of his physical disadvantages.

I also find it weird that he was considered the best skater from his draft year. Yes he's a pretty good skater but I wouldn't say he's anywhere close to the level of skater Mackinnon is. It's a strength but not a huge strength for him.

His biggest strength is definitely his brain. But like with a lot of things his brain can only carry him so far. He needs to be able to physically handle the NHL level as well and so far I dont think he's shown to be capable of this.

I hope he starts the year in the AHL and gets a solid 3-4 months of play without injury or issue this year. Then bring him up in January or February as a Barbeiro replacement(After we hopefully trade him for a nice draft pick or two) and see how he handles himself then).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Bigras' issues all stem from his physicality. He gets knocked off the puck pretty easily and I think this maybe causes him to overthink thing and make plays that aren't great because of his physical disadvantages.

I also find it weird that he was considered the best skater from his draft year. Yes he's a pretty good skater but I wouldn't say he's anywhere close to the level of skater Mackinnon is. It's a strength but not a huge strength for him.

His biggest strength is definitely his brain. But like with a lot of things his brain can only carry him so far. He needs to be able to physically handle the NHL level as well and so far I dont think he's shown to be capable of this.

I hope he starts the year in the AHL and gets a solid 3-4 months of play without injury or issue this year. Then bring him up in January or February as a Barbeiro replacement(After we hopefully trade him for a nice draft pick or two) and see how he handles himself then).

Bigras is insanely smooth on the ice, it works hand in hand with his hockey IQ to ensure that he's always in the right place when he's just relaxed & playing his game...and not trying to force things to happen with his skating like Barrie does. Which is a bigger cause of his self-doubt & uncertainty than the physicality; and I wish whoever told him to do it would go back & let Woody know it was a mistake. Let him just be his safe & reliable self while sitting back to clean up for Barrie, and we can see him thrive, even without the muscle he still needs to add. Let him just make smart crisp passes and leave all of the dancing and forcing-stuff-to-happen to Barrie.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Bigras is insanely smooth on the ice, it works hand in hand with his hockey IQ to ensure that he's always in the right place when he's just relaxed & playing his game...and not trying to force things to happen with his skating like Barrie does. Which is a bigger cause of his self-doubt & uncertainty than the physicality; and I wish whoever told him to do it would go back & let Woody know it was a mistake. Let him just be his safe & reliable self while sitting back to clean up for Barrie, and we can see him thrive, even without the muscle he still needs to add. Let him just make smart crisp passes and leave all of the dancing and forcing-stuff-to-happen to Barrie.

I have zero problem with him taking some chances, and learning the right time and place for those. I don't think it has anything to do with him being pushed to be more offensive minded. I think he is putting pressure on himself to make it this year.

His main problem is still physical IMO, and I don't get it really. Hes not small, and hes had plenty of time to strengthen his core as well as mature physically. His balance shouldn't be an issue either with his skating ability.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Some quotes from Sadowski.....

"I finally saw all the guys," Zadorov, who signed a two-year, $4.3 million contract last Friday, said Thursday morning. "They were happy to see me, I was happy to see them. Now (it's) back to work and I'm real happy to be here."

The 6-feet-5, 230-pound Zadorov will be on the Avalanche's top defensive pairing with Erik Johnson this season. He had 10 assists, 73 penalty minutes and a team-leading 153 hits in 56 games last season. He missed the final 25 games after sustaining a broken ankle in practice.

"At our exit meeting last year (general manager) Joe (Sakic) told us we're probably going to play together (this) year, so we're excited," Zadorov said. "(Johnson's) been texting me every day, he wants me to be here and was happy I came today. I'm real excited to play with him, he's a great player."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Rick-Sadowski/Z-reports-to-practice-Friday-Duchene-making-preseason-debut/188/87539

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is probably gonna be the make or break year for Zads. He's gonna be playing with the best possible partner for him and given a great opportunity to really establish himself as a real good, mean Dman in the league.

Really hoping he takes this opportunity and runs with it, though I'm not convinced that he will.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Great stuff from Z. Love that he straight up told Sakic in July that he wasn't going to the KHL. Didn't even try to play that card.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->