Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Roland McKeown, RHD ($750k two-way deal)

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Sad to lose Timmins with the greater upside, but health concerns made him the obvious trade bait. McKeown is bigger, better skater, passer and only 2 years older. He fits much better and fills a bottom role until Barron/Helleson joins the team.

Toews - Makar
Byram - Girard
McDonald - Mckeown

EJ out with injury.

I have not seen him play but if this is true then I'm excited for him. Timmins' best asset to me was his vision followed by his passing. If hes' faster, plays pk and has a better first pass I can see why the Avs took the chance on trading Timmins.

Snow Arc

Under new management. Try the fish.
Aug 14, 2020
It's an obvious strategy. You can never have too many Macs, and Mcs, and Maks. Even MacKuemper.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I have not seen him play but if this is true then I'm excited for him. Timmins' best asset to me was his vision followed by his passing. If hes' faster, plays pk and has a better first pass I can see why the Avs took the chance on trading Timmins.

Timmins has excellent hockey sense, but lacks skating and injury prone.

Mckeown has size and all the physical tools, but something mentally is lacking. Bednar is great in maximizing DMen and could resurrect his career. Well worth the small risk.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Timmins has excellent hockey sense, but lacks skating and injury prone.

Mckeown has size and all the physical tools, but something mentally is lacking. Bednar is great in maximizing DMen and could resurrect his career. Well worth the small risk.

Thanks for the info!

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

To be honest, I love that fight. It was absolutely the correct move to make after that hit. Hits like that are dangerous. I don't know why but I cringe and get madder at hell when folks get checked into that corner (thank god it's somewhat more rounded now but still) piece.

Now as an aside, I still f***ing loathe that Bleackley was our prospect once upon a time. I would've still hated that pick if it was in the 7th. The fact we took Bleackley at #23 overall is just so f***ing, completely over......*sigh*......damn. Somedays you think about the shit we've gone through as fans and wonder why anyone would devote a hockey board to the future of hockey, with a special subsection put aside and dedicated solely to the Colorado Avalanche.

Last edited:

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
To be honest, I love that fight. It was absolutely the correct move to make after that hit. Hit like that ended Steve Konowalchuk's f***ing career. I don't know why but I cringe and get madder at hell when folks get checked into that corner (thank god it's somewhat more rounded now but still) piece.

Now as an aside, I still f***ing loathe that Bleackley was our prospect once upon a time. I would've still hated that pick if it was in the 7th. The fact we took Bleackley at #23 overall is just so f***ing, completely over......*sigh*......damn. Somedays you think about the shit we've gone through as fans and wonder why anyone would devote a hockey board to the future of hockey, with a special subsection put aside and dedicated solely to the Colorado Avalanche.

Chin up, it’s 2021. Those days are over.

For now :(

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
To be honest, I love that fight. It was absolutely the correct move to make after that hit. Hit like that ended Steve Konowalchuk's f***ing career. I don't know why but I cringe and get madder at hell when folks get checked into that corner (thank god it's somewhat more rounded now but still) piece.

That was back when the Avs’ main focus was drafting players who were fans of the team. You saw it with Duchene, Landeskog and Bleackley. At the time I was bias (I know him) and loved the pick, but obviously it was not a good selection.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Think he will be a pleasant surprise this year and see some NHL time especially given that he is a RHD and EJ + Murray injury problems. I still think he carves himself out a role as a bottom pair guy in the league eventually. He has a lot of the tools. Can definitely be seen as a 'poor man's' Timmins, but more physical and better skater.

Reactions: Richard88

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Kono took his share of punishment, but just to clarify, he had to retire because they found he had Long QT Syndrome, which causes an irregular heart rhythm.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Kono took his share of punishment, but just to clarify, he had to retire because they found he had Long QT Syndrome, which causes an irregular heart rhythm.
Holy shit....Now you mention that, I do remember hearing about that back then as well. If I remember correctly though didn't they detect it at training camp? I wonder if that hit I was thinking of just caused him to miss some portion of time with an UB (back/shoulder/neck/head) injury. I remember it as being a hit that resulted in him being wheeled off the ice on a stretcher, but dude...that was a lot of years ago and my memory ain't the same.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Holy shit....Now you mention that, I do remember hearing about that back then as well. If I remember correctly though didn't they detect it at training camp? I wonder if that hit I was thinking of just caused him to miss some portion of time with an UB (back/shoulder/neck/head) injury. I remember it as being a hit that resulted in him being wheeled off the ice on a stretcher, but dude...that was a lot of years ago and my memory ain't the same.

Yeah it was a long time ago and I know what you mean about memory. I have a vague recollection of Kono taking a big hit as well but couldn't find it, or anything about a stretcher with a brief google search.

Could be conflating your memory of the Steve Moore incident with the stretcher around the same time? Possibly Deadmarsh having to retire due to concussions as well?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad