Confirmed with Link: 2019 Off-Season Avs sign Nichushkin to 1 year deal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
And here's the posturing from Mikko and his agent now.

Google Translate:

The decision Surprise! NHL superstar Mikko Rantanen moves to Norway to practice - wild speculation on next season's squad:

"We hope Mikko gets things right"

Today at 11:14

Mikko Rantanen will fly to Norway on Sunday and train with Storhamar IL for at least next week. It is theoretically possible to play in Norway before the NHL Agreement.

Mikko Rantanen, who has been reeling for three seasons at the Colorado Avalanche, pulls a real surprise card from his sleeve. The top striker will train next week in Hamar, Norway. The reason for going to Norway is clear. SIL team is coached by Miika Elomo and Petteri Nummelin.

- I already know both coaches. They are former top players and it is nice to go to their coaching. There's also a bit of adventure involved. I have never been to Norway before, Rantanen tells Iltalehti.

- In addition, the conditions in Hamar are reportedly top notch.

"Are you serious?"

Storhamar's organization is excited to see one of the young stars of Hockey World arrive in the city.

- It is a tribute to a guy at that level asking us if we can come to practice on our backyard. The arrival of Mikko is a big deal for Storhamar's organization and for hockey throughout Norway. Now the young players here can get a close-up view of how a tough professional is preparing, training and recovering. When I told the club leadership about it, their first question was, are you serious, ”says Miika Elomo.

- By default, Mikko will be here next week and then return to Turku. But we have tentatively said that we will be able to train later in the autumn. Our training center is also the Training Center of the Norwegian Ice Hockey Association. The conditions are quite European, Elomo continues.

- I have had quite good ice exercises led by Jukka Koivu and junior Vladimir Yursinov in Turku. I've been on the ice a little too TPS with, last Tuesday. But now I'm looking for some new experiences and variations, Rantanen says.

Rantanen has traditionally conducted dry training with Hannu Rautala.

Is it possible to play?

The idea that Rantanen will also visit Norway for a brief game contract will come to mind. Rantanen currently has no contract with Colorado. Negotiations between the parties on a new paper have not even started properly.

- There is nothing new about my contract situation.

After three excellent NHL seasons, Rantanen will make a massive counterattack next. The man's annual salary will rise to about $ 10 million. Big deals always take place, and Rantanen could play in Europe before the NHL.

- It has not gone so far as to think about playing in Norway. No rule prevents it, so in theory it is possible. But let's look at it in peace.

In Storhamar's organization, a player like Rantanen would be welcomed with open arms.

- This is hard speculation. Me and Peter are hoping that Mikko can get things right and play right from the start of the season where he is supposed to be, in the NHL. But if the situation arises that Mikko wants to play here, then of course, that opportunity should be pursued, Elomo thinks.

Expensive insurance

A limited free agent in Rantanen's situation must enter into an NHL deal before December 1. If that doesn't happen by the beginning of December, then the player will not play in the NHL during the 2019-20 season. Patrik Laine and Jesse Puljujärvi are in the same situation as Rantanen.

In such a situation, insurance premiums are becoming a threshold issue for gambling in Europe. Their size is difficult to quantify, but the sums would be harsh and make gambling in Europe unlikely.

In addition, ZSC Lions, Switzerland, announced Tuesday that it had discussed the deal with Mitch Marner, who negotiates the deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Limited free agent Marner may move to Switzerland to practice.

Yllätyspäätös! NHL-supertähti Mikko Rantanen siirtyy Norjaan harjoittelemaan – villi spekulaatio ensi kauden joukkueesta: ”Toivomme, että Mikko saa asiansa kuntoon”

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Reads more like a tabloid sensationalizing off-season training.

But with facts about Mikko training in Norway, them giving quotes about signing him in the fall, and quotes from Mikko himself.

Why do you think his agent had him give quotes for an article like that? Might have even been all Liut's idea, that's how a lot of agents operate, and utilize their media contacts. It's why they curry favor by leaking things on other issues.

Mikko may play in Norway just like Nichuskin may play in Colorado next season, but there is a ton of gamesmanship going on here too.

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Dater said Rantanen would be signed by training camp and, by God, I believe him

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Dater said Rantanen would be signed by training camp and, by God, I believe him

For the record, I still think that's the most likely resolution. We've seen Joe push things to the brink before and get it done before the season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
For the record, I still think that's the most likely resolution. We've seen Joe push things to the brink before and get things done before the season.
Me too. Rants isn't going to play in Norway of all places. This is just posturing, both sides want very much to get a deal done before camp, it's just a question of how much for how long.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Finnish players are still skating all over Europe. Of course he won't sign in Norway.

Likely not, but he can give quotes to a reporter for an article talking about him potentially signing in Norway a couple days after the Avs sign Nichuskin.

No RFA who's still unsigned three weeks before training camp is talking to a reporter without talking to his agent first, and if they do talk to a reporter, it's likely done for strategic reasons.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So Joe woke up in late August and decided to bolster his depth with a 0 goal guy? That can't be the only reason because it doesn't make any sense.

It's not about saying sign now or else. It's about posturing like he'll be ok if Mikko decides to hold out. He can do that as long as he signs someone with any potential of playing in the NHL next year.

I think the Avs randomly deciding to add a 0 goal scorer as depth in August is far more likely than posturing with Rantanen and his agent with that 0 goal scorer. If it was the latter, a contract would never get done because Liut and Rantanen wouldn't be able to stop laughing long enough to actually discuss terms.

Reactions: shadow1

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Likely not, but he can give quotes to a reporter for an article talking about him potentially signing in Norway a couple days after the Avs sign Nichuskin.

No RFA who's still unsigned three weeks before training camp is talking to a reporter without talking to his agent first, and if they do talk to a reporter, it's likely done for strategic reasons.
It says he's returning to Turku next week and the coaching staff is TPS alumni. If that's leverage, Sakic is a dumb f***.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think the Avs randomly deciding to add a 0 goal scorer as depth in August is far more likely than posturing with Rantanen and his agent with that 0 goal scorer. If it was the latter, a contract would never get done because Liut and Rantanen wouldn't be able to stop laughing long enough to actually discuss terms.

What is his reason for signing a 0 goal scorer three weeks before training camp instead of July? He didn't suddenly realize this late that he needs more depth.

Not sure why this is being twisted into replacing Rantanen. The posturing is about adding another depth NHLer so you can posture like you're not afraid to start the season without Mikko. GM's do this all the time.

It says he's returning to Turku next week and the coaching staff is TPS alumni. If that's leverage, Sakic is a dumb ****.

He says he knows their coaches. The same coaches who then say they would like to sign Mikko.

Why on earth would an unsigned RFA three weeks away from training camp give quotes to a reporter doing an article about him signing in Norway, if it wasn't for a strategic reason. He's laying low so he doesn't hurt negotiations, and not talking to any reporter unless there's a reason for it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Can't help but think they're treating this like a PTO, even though it isn't a PTO. If he has a good camp and makes the team, okay, but if he doesn't and they waive/demote him, he just won't report, head over to Europe, have his contract, suspended, and that's that.

I really can't see Nuke doing that because of finances. He's burned his bridges in the KHL where they won't pay him nearly as much considering the last go round. The Swiss leagues tend to top out around 500k, Sweden is around 250-300. There just is anywhere he can go and get close to 850k. If he mutually terminates, he is kissing 400+k goodbye. It also isn't like he already has 20m in the bank... his earnings have been around 9m total and I doubt he has anywhere near that sitting around considering professional athlete lifestyles and taxes. This may be his last good chance build up that lifetime piggy bank.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
He says he knows their coaches. The same coaches who then say they would like to sign Mikko.

Why on earth would an unsigned RFA three weeks away from training camp give quotes to a reporter doing an article about him signing in Norway, if it wasn't for a strategic reason. He's laying low so he doesn't hurt negotiations, and not talking to any reporter unless there's a reason for it.
They were teammates with Petteri Nummelin (45 points in the NHL). Miika Elomo (with a colorful pro career as well, including 200 games in the A) is his former U20 coach. You're reading so much into it.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They were teammates with Petteri Nummelin (45 points in the NHL). Miika Elomo (with a colorful pro career as well, including 200 games in the A) is his former U20 coach. You're reading so much into it.

You haven't explained why he's talking to a reporter doing an article about signing in Norway three weeks before training camp, and two days after the Avs signed Nichuskin. You do realize that agents set up these articles all the time to posture like they may sign in Europe right? Especially with European news outlets.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
You haven't explained why he's talking to a reporter doing an article about signing in Norway three weeks before training camp, and two days after the Avs signed Nichuskin. You do realize that agents set up these articles all the time to posture like they may sign in Europe right? Especially with European news outlets.
My whole point is, yeah I suppose they're not super close and he's saying "hey, might stay in Europe", but what's Sakic going to do? Panic and up the offer by 3.5 million cause Mikko's chumming it up in Norway?

I swear someday I want someone to hold a player out of the NHL for four years over 25k.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murzu

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I really can't see Nuke doing that because of finances. He's burned his bridges in the KHL where they won't pay him nearly as much considering the last go round. The Swiss leagues tend to top out around 500k, Sweden is around 250-300. There just is anywhere he can go and get close to 850k. If he mutually terminates, he is kissing 400+k goodbye. It also isn't like he already has 20m in the bank... his earnings have been around 9m total and I doubt he has anywhere near that sitting around considering professional athlete lifestyles and taxes. This may be his last good chance build up that lifetime piggy bank.

We'll see. As has been discussed, he hasn't exactly proven to be the sharpest skate in the equipment room.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My whole point is, yeah I suppose they're not super close and he's saying "hey, might stay in Europe", but what's Sakic going to do? Panic and up the offer by 3.5 million cause Mikko's chumming it up in Norway?

These are the little games that agents play all the time. Not every move has to be a KO punch in negotiations to get them to cave. In fact, they're almost always little posturing moves like this. Agents say things in the press all the time during negotiations, that no one really believes, but they try it anyway.

It's a tug a war contest that is all about pretending you're not gonna cave. It's a battle of attrition. Who can posture the longest? It's about making the other side make the next offer, instead of you, so you can counter with your offer. It's about making the other side make the next phone call so you don't have to.

It's the same reason ROR's agent went on the radio ranting and raving after they elected him for arbitration. It was all about posturing. Newport didn't take that kind of extreme posture again, even though they had some tough negotiations with the Avs. Because it didn't work the first time and probably made things worse. But they tried it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We'll see. As has been discussed, he hasn't exactly proven to be the sharpest skate in the equipment room.
I just really don't think a guy that has a max of ~2.5m in the bank (honestly probably a large chunk less than that) is going to walk away from an extra few hundred k. No agent worth their salt would allow the player to walk away from it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I just really don't think a guy that has a max of ~2.5m in the bank (honestly probably a large chunk less than that) is going to walk away from an extra few hundred k. No agent worth their salt would allow the player to walk away from it.

Nichuskin may have burned some bridges in the KHL but we don't know what kind of offers other teams have made. Somebody could offer him $600k to play in Russia, and he may prefer that to making $850k riding around in a bus in the AHL. Especially if he can prove himself in that one year, and then make more money staying in the KHL.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Email a market value offer once, then don't return calls for six weeks. Then call to ask if they're coming to camp to sign his contract and if he says no, hold him in Europe until his RFA eligibility runs out.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Email a market value offer once, then don't return calls for six weeks. Then call to ask if they're coming to camp to sign his contract and if he says no, hold him in Europe until his RFA eligibility runs out.

And that's the posture you take after singing someone like Nichuskin, so it looks like you're preparing for him to hold out. ;)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Again, we've established he doesn't listen well and doesn't make great decisions on and off the ice, hence the precarious situation he finds himself in. :laugh: Not saying he'll bolt for sure, just saying I wouldn't bet against it.

And while I completely believe you when you say he burned bridges in the KHL, I'm not 100% convinced he couldn't find a contract there should he opt to return.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Again, we've established he doesn't listen well and doesn't make great decisions on and off the ice, hence the precarious situation he finds himself in. :laugh: Not saying he'll bolt for sure, just saying I wouldn't bet against it.

And while I completely believe you when you say he burned bridges in the KHL, I'm not 100% convinced he couldn't find a contract there should he opt to return.

I'm just saying all the logic points to him sticking it out as long as possible. Being irrational could happen, but if there there is an inkling of logic somewhere in the chain, he won't mutually terminate. This isn't a Mironov situation where he can get paid more overseas. Or a guy that has his whole life financially set.

Oh I'm sure he could find an offer, but it is going to be in the 100-150k range.

Reactions: Pokecheque

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Honestly it's a bit silly to talk about Rantenen in a thread about Nichushkin.

You don't need to go full tin foil conspiracy to explain this signing. It's very clear to me what this is. Sakic and co are going around the league and trying to identify players who likely underperformed, and may perform better on the Avs or in the Avs system. I don't think it's a coincidence that this description fits Kadri, Donskoi, Burky and Nichushkin. All of them underperformed in previous seasons and all of them have legitimate size and skill to varying degrees. Sakic is rolling the dice and hoping he hits big on at least one of them. If Nichushkin doesn't work out, no problem, you waive him or he goes back to Russia. If Burky doesn't work out, you don't qualify him. Kadri and Donskoi have a track record of being useful, so there's less of a gamble with them.

I personally think it's smart management and this really isn't all that different from signing a guy to a PTO.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad