Confirmed with Link: 2019 Off-Season Avs sign Nichushkin to 1 year deal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Honestly it's a bit silly to talk about Rantenen in a thread about Nichushkin.

You don't need to go full tin foil conspiracy to explain this signing. It's very clear to me what this is. Sakic and co are going around the league and trying to identify players who likely underperformed, and may perform better on the Avs or in the Avs system. I don't think it's a coincidence that this description fits Kadri, Donskoi, Burky and Nichushkin. All of them underperformed in previous seasons and all of them have legitimate size and skill to varying degrees. Sakic is rolling the dice and hoping he hits big on at least one of them. If Nichushkin doesn't work out, no problem, you waive him or he goes back to Russia. If Burky doesn't work out, you don't qualify him. Kadri and Donskoi have a track record of being useful, so there's less of a gamble with them.

I personally think it's smart management and this really isn't all that different from signing a buy to a PTO.

Donskoi had a career year last year though, and I think they would have been interested in Kadri regardless.

Kadri, Donskoi, and Burakovsky were also bought in when GM's build their teams in June and July. Nichuskin was brought in three weeks before training camp in late August. I think the motivation was different.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

McKenzie: "If there's a concern, it's how well does he see the ice. Can he make the other players on the ice better or is he strictly a one-dimensional guy who goes up and down the wing and scores power goals."

Ferraro: "What I saw at the world junior game was the concern you just mentioned. He seems to bully the game as opposed to read the game around him....."

They nailed that one. Well, other than the scoring goals part.

joshik

In Duchene we believe
Jul 1, 2017
Czech Republic
After watching a handful of games, Jaromir Jagr went so far as to envision Val having the potential to be the “best in the world one day”.
Jagr said Nichushkin is the one rookie that has impressed him the most this season. He also says he’s never seen an 18-year-old physically dominate in games the way Nichushkin did in the games he watched.

We were so hoped when mike pick him. NHL ready, 3nd best goalscorer of the draft, top 5 talent, great skater.
He wasnt the worst player on stars I liked him more than Comeau, Cogliano, Ritchie.
I think he could be good 10 goals 20 assist guy for you. Maybe better maybe worst who knows.
Why signing Nichushkin is a gamble well worth taking for the Avalanche - TheHockeyNews

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Donskoi had a career year last year though, and I think they would have been interested in Kadri regardless.

Kadri, Donskoi, and Burakovsky were also bought in when GM's build their teams in June and July. Nichuskin was brought in three weeks before training camp in late August. I think the motivation was different.

Kadri and Burky were trades, so the timing is a different factor there. Donskoi was an in-demand player because he plays such a complete game. Also, Donskoi only had a career year if you look only at season-end point totals and ignore points per game. Last year he had .46 ppg. The season before it was .49. Plus I don't think you can say a guy had a "career year" when he went 39 games in a row (including playoffs) without scoring a goal.

Nichushkin, on the other hand, may have been trying to decide whether to go back to the KHL or not. For all we know, Sakic made this offer on July 1 and it took this long for him to accept it. Maybe this was the result of a long-drawn-out negotiation where Nichushkin wanted two years. Maybe this was a fall-back plan when another option fell through. There are tons of reasons why this signing took place now, and Rantanen is nowhere near the most likely reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacBradley

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Can't help but think they're treating this like a PTO, even though it isn't a PTO. If he has a good camp and makes the team, okay, but if he doesn't and they waive/demote him, he just won't report, head over to Europe, have his contract, suspended, and that's that.

Pretty much this. A 24 year old guy with potential upside (very little but still upside) that probably a couple teams had PTO offers on so Sakic decided to offer a contract for a guaranteed look. If he's hot garbage in camp/preseason Sakic just waives him and he gets claimed or like you said ends up in Europe. Its likely just a reclamation deal that won't harm the Avs in any way if it doesn't work out, plus gives more competition in camp. Any sort of posturing to try to get Mikko to sign by signing a guy who had 0 goals, 10 assists in 57 games would be absurd.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Kadri and Burky were trades, so the timing is a different factor there. Donskoi was an in-demand player because he plays such a complete game. Also, Donskoi only had a career year if you look only at season-end point totals and ignore points per game. Last year he had .46 ppg. The season before it was .49. Plus I don't think you can say a guy had a "career year" when he went 39 games in a row (including playoffs) without scoring a goal.

Nichushkin, on the other hand, may have been trying to decide whether to go back to the KHL or not. For all we know, Sakic made this offer on July 1 and it took this long for him to accept it. Maybe this was the result of a long-drawn-out negotiation where Nichushkin wanted two years. Maybe this was a fall-back plan when another option fell through. There are tons of reasons why this signing took place now, and Rantanen is nowhere near the most likely reason.

I think that’s possible but unlikely. Sakic may have made an offer earlier, but teams generally assemble their roster in July and then move on from players that didn’t want to sign previously.

They do this because they have an idea of how many contracts they want to use up for depth players, and how many they want to leave available for the upcoming season for trades and in case they need a replacement player for some reason. Usually the only time they sign a UFA a few weeks before training camp is if something did change, or looks like it might.

I agree points per game is a better stat to judge how good a players season was, but any time a player puts up a career high in points, I personally consider that a career year. Even if Donskoi's pts/gm was slightly lower last season, I don't think it's quite fair to say he underperformed. It's only a difference of 0.02 (0.48 vs 0.46) from his career high.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think that’s possible but unlikely. Sakic may have made an offer earlier, but teams generally assemble their roster in July and then move on from players that didn’t want to sign previously.

They do this because they have an idea of how many contracts they want to use up for depth players, and how many they want to leave available for the upcoming season for trades and in case they need a replacement player for some reason. Usually the only time they sign a UFA a few weeks before training camp is if something did change, or looks like it might.

I agree points per game is a better stat to judge how good a players season was, but any time a player puts up a career high in points, I personally consider that a career year. Even if Donskoi's pts/gm was slightly lower last season, I don't think it's quite fair to say he underperformed. It's only a difference of 0.02 (0.48 vs 0.46) from his career high.

Okay, but do you see my point that there are many different reasons why the signing might have happened now, and Rantanen is not the most likely one?

As for Donskoi, I'll clarify - he underperformed in the second half of last season (the 0 goals part). His career high points came almost all in the first half of the season. So I still think he counts as a "buy low, hope he rebounds" kind of player that Sakic seems to be targeting - like Nichushkin.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Okay, but do you see my point that there are many different reasons why the signing might have happened now, and Rantanen is not the most likely one?

As for Donskoi, I'll clarify - he underperformed in the second half of last season (the 0 goals part). His career high points came almost all in the first half of the season. So I still think he counts as a "buy low, hope he rebounds" kind of player that Sakic seems to be targeting - like Nichushkin.

I do see your point and I agree that there are many potential reasons. I mentioned earlier that an injury we don’t know about (because of the Avs secrecy) could have played a big factor.

I disagree though that Mikko’s negotiations and contract status weren’t also a potential big reason. For the reasons I’ve already mentioned. I’m not convinced the Avs would have signed Nichushkin if Mikko had signed already.

It’s all speculation anyway. The Avs are never gonna come right out and say a major reason why they signed him is because of Mikko’s negotiations. It’d be kind of a shot at Nichushkin and the Avs are too classy for that. Only negative consequences can come from saying something like that.

I do believe though that the Avs signed Nichushkin in part because they like him as a depth option also. He fits that big man who skates well mold of player they cherish every so often. We’ll see if it works out this time.

Reactions: CB Joe and MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I do see your point and I agree that there are many potential reasons. I mentioned earlier that an injury we don’t know about (because of the Avs secrecy) could have played a big factor.

I disagree though that Mikko’s negotiations and contract status weren’t also a potential big reason. For the reasons I’ve already mentioned. I’m not convinced the Avs would have signed Nichushkin if Mikko had signed already.

It’s all speculation anyway. The Avs are never gonna come right out and say a major reason why they signed him is because of Mikko’s negotiations. It’d be kind of a shot at Nichushkin and the Avs are too classy for that. Only negative consequences can come from saying something like that.

I do believe though that the Avs signed Nichushkin in part because they like him as a depth option also. He fits that big man who skates well mold of player they cherish every so often. We’ll see if it works out this time.

Okay. Fair enough. It's rare that I disagree with you and probably my favorite thing about you is you are always reasonable and never get offended when something thinks you're wrong (even when they insult you). We could probably keep going back and forth on this for a while, but you're totally right that it's all speculation and thus neither of us is every going to be proven right or wrong.

Reactions: Foppa2118

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I also think Rantanen's contract situation played a role in this signing. The idea isn't to sign Nichushkin as a 1 for 1 replacement of Rantanen, that would be silly. There aren't any other players that are realistically available that would be able to replace Rantanen. Likey Compher or Donskoi slide up into Rantanen's spot and Nichushkin would fill in a spot on a lower line. The Avs don't have to replace all of Rantanen's scoring they just have to score enough to stay in a playoff spot. As long as the Avs are scoring and in that playoff spot they maintain the upper hand in the negotiation.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mikko Rantanen and his contract situation had nothing to do with signing a guy who couldn't score in a brothel last year.

Sounds like the kind of player you sign right before camp because you wanted more scoring, and not because another forward is still unsigned. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What's with this relentless Nichushkin-illuminati style narrative you've been pushing so hard? Can't you tell people think you're insane? Please stop embarrassing yourself

What are you talking about? Speculating that a GM signing a cheap forward right before training camp that no one wanted was in part because a key forward is still unsigned, is an illuminati style narrative? Some version of this situation happens literally every summer. If you don't agree fine, but don't act like this never happens.

What makes more sense. That they signed Nichuskin who had 0 goals last year, right before camp because they've been looking for more depth scoring all summer? Or for some combination of insurance to Mikko being unsigned, leverage, and potential injuries like I've been saying?

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
If he weren't a 1st round pick 6 years ago then I doubt anyone believes he would be a good addition. However, he's signed to a deal, so we'll see him in some fashion this season, so it's done from that perspective.

But the guy is a bad hockey player. Just bad.

He's still a kid. He's a huge body. Seems to have decent wheels. He was selected 10th overall for a reason like you alluded to.

Bit harsh calling him, "a bad hockey player".

Tell you what though , our team did need some size , grit and aggression up front , and we seem to be fulfilling that need.

Also, I don't think I'm over positive. I think I'm more a realist. And yep, I think we are a cup contender this season.

Hated losing Nemeth
Hated losing Varly (that one stung)
Hated losing Barrie (Hurt the most)
Hate losing Brassards depth

But the additions are fantastic.

That said, I'll openly admit I hope this signing doesn't slow down the development or chances of guys like Bowers, Kamenev, or Greer.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He's still a kid. He's a huge body. Seems to have decent wheels. He was selected 10th overall for a reason like you alluded to.

Bit harsh calling him, "a bad hockey player".

Tell you what though , our team did need some size , grit and aggression up front , and we seem to be fulfilling that need.

Also, I don't think I'm over positive. I think I'm more a realist. And yep, I think we are a cup contender this season.

Hated losing Nemeth

That said, I'll openly admit I hope this signing doesn't slow down the development or chances of guys like Bowers, Kamenev, or Greer.
The problem though is that this guy only brings one of the things you listed which is size. He does not bring grit and he does not bring aggression.

I'm trying to be optimistic about this signing but I'm having a hard time with that. Hopefully he will prove us all wrong and make Sakic look like a genius.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Hated losing Nemeth

Players come and players go mate, that's the life of sports. As an Aussie you probably have seen it the same way in cricket or rugby in down under.

Nemeth: He was always going to get paid and he did. Losing him might hurt SE, but think about the salary he gets to support his family.

Varlamov: Got one hell of a deal from the Islanders, so be happy for him, but his body isn't getting any younger and he's about to breakdown.

Barrie: Sorry, but Tyson was his worse enemy. He rather get the most money (don't blame him) than take some team discount to stay here.

Brassard: Was a terrible player and was a waste of a spot away from one of the youths. Good riddance to him and you shouldn't worry about him gone.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Five young players facing make-or-break campaigns in 2019-20 - TheHockeyNews

Valeri Nichushkin, Colorado Avalanche

It depends who you ask, but some see it as a minor miracle that Nichushkin, 24, was able to land another NHL gig after he was bought out for pennies on the dollar by the Dallas Stars following an abysmal campaign in which he failed to score a single goal in 57 games. Frankly, there are only two ways this goes for Nichushkin: either he stands out as a bottom-six skater with the Avalanche and turns into one of the more savvy signings GM Joe Sakic has made or he fails to break into the lineup as a regular, potentially ends up in the minors, finishes out this season and then heads back to the KHL.

The pressure is on for Nichushkin, who was the 10th-overall pick in 2013. He has the size and he adapted well to playing a different role last season, but if he can’t show upside, his time may be up.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Five young players facing make-or-break campaigns in 2019-20 - TheHockeyNews

Valeri Nichushkin, Colorado Avalanche

It depends who you ask, but some see it as a minor miracle that Nichushkin, 24, was able to land another NHL gig after he was bought out for pennies on the dollar by the Dallas Stars following an abysmal campaign in which he failed to score a single goal in 57 games. Frankly, there are only two ways this goes for Nichushkin: either he stands out as a bottom-six skater with the Avalanche and turns into one of the more savvy signings GM Joe Sakic has made or he fails to break into the lineup as a regular, potentially ends up in the minors, finishes out this season and then heads back to the KHL.

The pressure is on for Nichushkin, who was the 10th-overall pick in 2013. He has the size and he adapted well to playing a different role last season, but if he can’t show upside, his time may be up.

I really liked this signing. Low risk and Nich needs to work hard to prove he has a future in the league. Which player gets benched might be an issue, but a possible 3rd or 4th line Winger could be a possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->