Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Jordan Gross, RD

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
The AHL D group does look like it's complete, but we could still use a good PK'ing RHD for the 3rd pairing. I guess the plan is to give Barron/McKeown a chance to earn that spot though.

With Gilbert, Middleton, and Englund at LHD (none of which move the puck very well) beyond MacDonald it makes a lot of sense that they added another puckmoving RHD to balance the pairs a bit.

Toews -- Makar
Girard -- Johnson
Byram -- ______
MacDermid

MacDonald -- Barron
Gilbert -------- McKeown
Middleton ---- Gross
Englund ------ Clurman

Leivermann -- Helleson
Zhuravlyov
Behrens

i certainly hope Joe isn’t counting on ej being a big contributor next year. I still think back about the Calgary series when he looked awful. Granted he was playing injured but I think 8 or 9 minutes a game is all that can be asked of him and that’s being healthy

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Reactions: Vk1ing

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
We have fully committed to speed and skill. Other than EJ we have no big bodies on D
The NHL roster does have a lack of a huge RHD PK'ing type, but the AHL roster definitely needed a RHD puckmover, especially considering that the 3 LHD's that figure to play most of the year in the bottom 4 are terrible with the puck (Gilbert, Middleton, Englund). If and when MacDonald gets called up to the NHL you have even less puck-moving ability in that group.

It's also worth bearing in mind that whilst Gross might not have much NHL upside, it's still important to fill your AHL lineup with guys who can play the style that the Avs want them to play in order to give the prospects the chance of having a seamless transition to the NHL. It's much easier for prospects like Bowers, Ranta, Foudy, etc to jump into the NHL on a transition-heavy Avs team if they've already been playing that sort of game with good PMD's in the AHL.

MacDonald -- Barron
Gilbert -------- McKeown
Middleton ---- Gross
Englund ------ Clurman

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
We are one inevitable injury away from having MacDonald and MacDermid on the 3rd pairing.

And that's just with one injury. All of our Dmen missed time last year and with just two injuries we're talking about having MacDonald in the top 4...

Imagine if one of our real D (Makar Toews G Byram) go down.

EJ playing is basically a fantasy at this point.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
funny that one of these days I was looking at the crap that is still available in the UFA market at D and I exactly thought about this guy being one of the very few (if not THE only one) worth a shot. he had a serious injury otherwise I guess he would have played a full season for the Yotes already. maybe he can be a useful bottom pairing. at the very least should help a lot the AHL team. I hope this move means no moronic signing (aka Demers or Gudbranson).

Reactions: Tweaky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad