Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Ian Cole (3 years, $4.25M/yr)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Strongly doubt Cole is physically stronger in situations fighting for the puck and also Nemeth is the taller one with slightly more weight but perhaps Cole being more gritty and hits more which is very good and also entertaining, I fully agree. Well, something you should get for these kind of money... he is currently valued being more than twice as good. ;-)

Defense is important and it may turn out being a great signing, perhaps Cole together with Nemeth on pk will be a really good couple. Like I have been writing a couple of times I wish Avs saved this money for a star signing though (which we desperately need).

Nemeth is taller by a couple inches, but they're both listed at the same 219lbs. I'm not saying Nemeth is soft, but Cole is just a little tougher to play against. Makes life a little tougher for those trying to get to the net.

Reactions: 21

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Nemeth is taller by a couple inches, but they're both listed at the same 219lbs. I'm not saying Nemeth is soft, but Cole is just a little tougher to play against. Makes life a little tougher for those trying to get to the net.

Waingro, correct me if I am wrong, but the biggest flaw that I saw in Nemeth was that he out of all defenders iced the puck so much. Maybe Girard can teach him the proper way to carry out the puck or the proper way to dumb the puck out of our D zone without icing the puck. Otherwise, Nemeth is a top 4 NHL dman when healthy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Waingro, correct me if I am wrong, but the biggest flaw that I saw in Nemeth was that he out of all defenders iced the puck so much. Maybe Girard can teach him the proper way to carry out the puck or the proper way to dumb the puck out of our D zone without icing the puck.

IMO that's not much to get hung up on really. It would be better if he didn't, but it's not like it happens every game, and it burns them every game. It's kind of like a 3rd liner being poor at face-offs.

Nemeth's biggest flaw to me is that he seems to get overwhelmed at times in the D zone, and tries to play above his capabilities. This leads to the occasional mistake in positioning, or awareness of the open man. When he gets forced into a bigger role than he should play, this tends to happen more often. So hopefully Girard and Z can take big steps next year, and relegate Nemeth to a role he's capable of playing consistently.

Nemeth basically is what he is at this point. A bottom pair guy that can fill in as a #4 if need be. I think we've probably seen his peak ability, so the question is, what will his level of play be going forward? Can he remain solid in his role like he was the first half of the season, or will his play start to slip like it did at times down the stretch?

We've seen this happen before with Holden, and it's not all due to playing too big a role. A lot of it is due to playing maxed out to impress the team and stay in the NHL. Once they make the NHL, it's only natural for the motivation to wane a little.

For the record though, I think Nemeth is a clear upgrade on Holden.

Last edited:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think people saying Nemeth is a top 4 defenseman have watched too many Avs games and not enough other teams. If Nemeth is in your top 4 then your defense probably isn't very good. He's got essentially zero offensive skill - in fact I'd say it's negative skill because if he tries anything other than an easy pass or shoot it around the boards the play dies. And if you're going to be a defenseman with zero offensive ability playing in the top 4, you'd better be elite defensively, which Nemeth is not.

Now, I don't know much about Cole, but by all accounts he's better than Nemeth. I'm hoping he's at least serviceable in the offensive zone, which would make him a genuine top 4 defender, and depending on what you think of Girard we arguably only had three of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I have been following Cole since his draft by the Blues and I can offer these items to the discussion. In St. Louis he had his development stalled by the coaching staff for no obvious reasons. In fact he posted better stats in points/ plus minus than the then coveted free agent acquisition Jay Bouwmeister. It almost seemed like the Blues management decided not to play him because he was outperforming a 5.4 million free agent. Then in Pittsburgh during the teams second cup run Cole played more minutes than any other defensemen during the regular season. A stat that has been missed by many so called professional scouts. The Pens signed 3 d men that season to heftier contracts and once again Cole for some reason was the odd man left out. In Columbus I saw the same thing happening. Now I will tell you that I think Cole has more offensive upside that could be discovered. He has virtually gotten zero powerplay time but has a accurate shot, a quick transition ability but playing on the 3rd pairing his partners have let him down. If you want to read through a forum follow up on Cole that goes back to about 2015 click the link. Link: STLtoday.com • View topic - The Ian Cole follow up

Reactions: Tru

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Can somebody tell me what I can expect of Cole? How does he play, what have been his strengths, what have been his weaknesses? I don't know crap about him, I'm afraid.

+ Physical edge
+ Likes to pick his spots offensively
+ Willing to drop the gloves
+ Can grow a Zanon-Level beard

- Can be too aggressive at times
- Can get caught pinching

Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I have been following Cole since his draft by the Blues and I can offer these items to the discussion. In St. Louis he had his development stalled by the coaching staff for no obvious reasons. In fact he posted better stats in points/ plus minus than the then coveted free agent acquisition Jay Bouwmeister. It almost seemed like the Blues management decided not to play him because he was outperforming a 5.4 million free agent. Then in Pittsburgh during the teams second cup run Cole played more minutes than any other defensemen during the regular season. A stat that has been missed by many so called professional scouts. The Pens signed 3 d men that season to heftier contracts and once again Cole for some reason was the odd man left out. In Columbus I saw the same thing happening. Now I will tell you that I think Cole has more offensive upside that could be discovered. He has virtually gotten zero powerplay time but has a accurate shot, a quick transition ability but playing on the 3rd pairing his partners have let him down. If you want to read through a forum follow up on Cole that goes back to about 2015 click the link. Link: STLtoday.com • View topic - The Ian Cole follow up

Well Cole will probably get Girard or Barrie as his partner. So he'll see plenty of time at 5v5 with good offensive zone starts. I doubt he'll end up with EJ but you never know. Z seems to have that on lock in defensive situations.

I can't imagine he'll get PP time since the Avs run 1D on theirs. In the future they might run two, but that will be because of Makar.

Which side did he play when he was with Schultz? I don't remember where I seen it, but someone mentioned he had a strong impact on him.

Both Barrie and Girard can play either side pretty well, but it sounds like Cole prefers the right side?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What I hope to see:

Zadorov - Barrie
Girard - EJ
Cole - Barberio/Nemeth

What I expect to see:

Cole - Johnson
Zadorov - Barrie
Nemeth - Girard

Yeah we'll see if they continue with Z and Barrie, but I've got my doubts. Every chance they get they go back to ZJ. I can't really blame Bednar for it too much though.

My guess is this,

Z - EJ
Cole - Barrie
Nemeth - Girard

With them maybe trying Cole and Nemeth flipped. If Barrie gets sheltered again because Girard continues to be trustworthy defensively then I could see Nemeth end up back with Barrie. Or if Cole really pushes playing on the right side there is an obvious natural fit with Girard.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
He's got essentially zero offensive skill - in fact I'd say it's negative skill because if he tries anything other than an easy pass or shoot it around the boards the play dies.
I remember he had a nice couple of pinches here and there (and some bad ones) and he scored that nice goal against Minnesota

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
- Can be too aggressive at times
- Can get caught pinching

He is most likely going to be playing with Girard or Barrie and put on a tighter leash for pinches by Bednar. Hopefully that negates some of this concern for being too aggressive.

Reactions: BHD

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He is most likely going to be playing with Girard or Barrie and put on a tighter leash for pinches by Bednar. Hopefully that negates some of this concern for being too aggressive.

Yeah unless he really does end up on the bottom pair with Nemeth as his partner. Then it will be encouraged most likely. Hes got a history of doing well with OFD though. So we may see some moments, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even less if hes with Girard too.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Girard really should not be penciled into any Top 4 Defense yet. Kid has tonnes of upside but a Top 4Dman he is not currently.

Ideally we start the year with Cole and Girard together so something like:

Zadorov - EJ
Nemeth - Barrie
Girard - Cole

It's not great because Nemeth shouldn't be anywhere near a Top 4 Defense... But Barrie is capable of carrying that pairing IMO, and putting Cole down on the 3rd pair next to Girard will give Sam a great partner who should do a lot for his game in the first couple of months of the season. Then by December or January I think you'd hope to move Girard or Cole up into the 2nd pairing in Nemeth's place.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Girard really should not be penciled into any Top 4 Defense yet. Kid has tonnes of upside but a Top 4Dman he is not currently.

Ideally we start the year with Cole and Girard together so something like:

Zadorov - EJ
Nemeth - Barrie
Girard - Cole

It's not great because Nemeth shouldn't be anywhere near a Top 4 Defense... But Barrie is capable of carrying that pairing IMO, and putting Cole down on the 3rd pair next to Girard will give Sam a great partner who should do a lot for his game in the first couple of months of the season. Then by December or January I think you'd hope to move Girard or Cole up into the 2nd pairing in Nemeth's place.

I think with the strength of our top 6 D now. We'll see Barrie's pairing get sheltered quite a bit. Which makes it look like Nemeth is in the top four, but really they're probably going to see the easiest minutes of the three pairings. Especially if Girard continues anything like he did closing out last season.

I think all six of our D can play 20 minutes a night when special teams are included. Which is f***ing awesome lol.

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Look at this signing from the brighter side. We come more than half the way (hopefully 82 games) in reducing appearances for guys on AHL level:

Lindholm 48 games
Warsofsky 16
Siemens 16
Bigras 15
Mironov 10
Alt 7

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
What I want to see at even strength:

Zadorov - EJ
Cole - Girard
Barberio - Barrie (all o-zone starts)

What I expect

Zadorov - EJ
Cole - Barrie
Nemeth - Girard

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well, during the 10-game win streak the "shutdown pairing" was Barberio-Nemeth, and it somehow worked, at least during that streak.

I'm guessing it'll be a third pairing of Barbs/Nemeth with Girard. Didn't Sam play a lot on the right side during the playoff series against the Preds?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad