Confirmed with Link: Avs sign F Joonas Donskoi ($3.9m AAV x 4y)

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I loved this signing, until I saw the Nyqvist one and that sort of downgraded ours to a very solid one. I am still a big fan of Donskoi, I suggest he has more offensive flair than what he showed in San Jose. Additionally, I like him a bit more than to call him an inconsistent player, but I won't argue to the posters who say he's that type. Of course Nyqvist should outscore him, but when Joonas isn't scoring he provides more off the puck like a very responsible defensive game. On the other hand Nyqvist is invisible when he isn't scoring because he doesn't have the puck protection skills or two-way game as Donskoi. I don't think Joonas is a top 6 player, but he's one who can play up and down the line up and look passable. Personal opinion, but I much rather have him on the second line than Burakovsky until otherwise noted. Extra year is probably the worst thing about this deal, but like Cole it is something you can live with.

As you said, Donskoi is more valuable than Nyquist when neither is scoring. Also, when Donskoi starts the final season of his contract, he'll be 30. When Nyquist starts the final season of his, he'll be 33. So even if Nyquist is the better player now, I like the odds of us having the better player by the end of the deal.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
After watching some highlight reels of Donskoi I'm feeling like the plan might be to have him on line 1 in a similar checking/defense role as Landeskog. He's certainly got the speed and hands to keep up, and doing that gives us a very strong 2nd line as well.

Moreover, playing with two gritty and skillful players in Landeskog and Kadri could be exactly what Burakovsky needs to thrive, since his game is about finding space to unleash his shot.

Donskoi ----- Mackinnon ----- Rantanen
Landeskog ---- Kadri ---------- Burakovsky
Wilson --------- Jost ----------- Compher
Nieto --------- Bellemare ------ Calvert

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I'm glad Rantanen finally has a Finnish friend. I was getting worried once we got Burakovsky for Landeskog and Francouz for Kaut. Now we just need to get Roussel for Bellemare and everyone will be happy.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
As you said, Donskoi is more valuable than Nyquist when neither is scoring. Also, when Donskoi starts the final season of his contract, he'll be 30. When Nyquist starts the final season of his, he'll be 33. So even if Nyquist is the better player now, I like the odds of us having the better player by the end of the deal.

Well, in the Phoenix forum they taught me that players usually peaking at 24, we are f**ked. At the age of 34 (Soderberg) there may be some positive development going on though.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Donskoi is 25th among active players in career shootout % (5 goals on 12 shots, 41.7%).

Only Mackinnon has better than that on the current roster.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Hmmm, I expected more Finns commenting about Donskoi but not even @UncleRisto or @Murzu being excited, this is very concerning. Honestly I don't know much about Donskoi myself.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I really like Donskoi and this contract. I know there's a reason he's never been consistent to this point, but he's usually not 40-games-without-a-goal inconsistent and he can contribute even when he's fighting the puck.

I don't think he's an ideal top 6er, but if Bura proves people wrong I think Joonas will make for a really nice gate-keeper for that final top 6 spot. Someone who keeps us from having to pencil any kids in for a spot they may not be ready for while giving them a surmountable obstacle to claiming that spot; who can slide down to the third line nicely and still contribute, if that happens.

Gabe - MacK - Rantanen*
Bura* - Kadri - Donskoi
Calvert - Jost - Compher
LBN - Bellemare - Gabe (catalog edition)
( AJG / Kamdroid)

Fortunately, if Bura's not that 5th legit top 6er that previous multi-cup winners have had, we've got the ammo to upgrade upon him at the TDL, and between Newhook / Jost / Kaut, there's a non-zero chance of an internal 5th legit top 6er materializing before MacK needs that extension.

This is why I'm much more worried about leaning on EJ in a top 4 role all year long and how much that'll leave in his tank for the playoffs / how much that would exacerbate his cliff dive, especially with the term still left on his deal; than I am our situation up front. Even if the current set up doesn't work & internal options don't materialize fast enough, we need just 1 (typically) affordable upgrade to be ready for serious cup runs and we still have plenty of ammunition to make that happen.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I really like Donskoi and this contract. I know there's a reason he's never been consistent to this point, but he's usually not 40-games-without-a-goal inconsistent and he can contribute even when he's fighting the puck.

I don't think he's an ideal top 6er, but if Bura proves people wrong I think Joonas will make for a really nice gate-keeper for that final top 6 spot. Someone who keeps us from having to pencil any kids in for a spot they may not be ready for while giving them a surmountable obstacle to claiming that spot; who can slide down to the third line nicely and still contribute, if that happens.

Gabe - MacK - Rantanen*
Bura* - Kadri - Donskoi
Calvert - Jost - Compher
LBN - Bellemare - Gabe lite
( AJG / Kamdroid)

Fortunately, if Bura's not that 5th legit top 6er that previous multi-cup winners have had, we've got the ammo to upgrade upon him at the TDL, and between Newhook / Jost / Kaut, there's a non-zero chance of an internal 5th legit top 6er materializing before MacK needs that extension.

This is why I'm much more worried about leaning on EJ in a top 4 role all year long and how much that'll leave in his tank for the playoffs / how much that would exacerbate his cliff dive, especially with the term still left on his deal; than I am our situation up front. Even if the current set up doesn't work & internal options don't materialize fast enough, we need just 1 upgrade to be ready for serious cup runs and we still have plenty of ammunition to make that happen.

It says everything to me that Donskoi has already played the third wheel with legit line-mates (Hertle & Kane) on a contending team.

Reactions: Richard88

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It says everything to me that Donskoi has already played the third wheel with legit line-mates (Hertle & Kane) on a contending team.

Just so I'm not too off-brand, that was Joonas on the upswing and we shouldn't expect him to be able to fill that roll reliably all of the time...

...but that's also how I feel about Zads filling a top 4 gig, and as long as he keeps timing those upswings to come down the stretch & in the playoffs, I'm not that bothered by his inconsistency. So here's to hoping that Donskoi can have similarly convenient timing with his inconsistency, for us.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Just so I'm not too off-brand, that was Joonas on the upswing and we shouldn't expect him to be able to fill that roll reliably all of the time...

...but that's also how I feel about Zads filling a top 4 gig, and as long as he keeps timing those upswings to come down the stretch & in the playoffs, I'm not that bothered by his inconsistency. So here's to hoping that Donskoi can have similarly convenient timing with his inconsistency, for us.

I thought those were his most common line-mates?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I thought those were his most common line-mates?

Oh, I dunno about that. I moved back to chicago last fall so didn't watch SJ nearly as much this season. Just assumed that you were referring to the way he looked against us in the playoffs. My b.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh, I dunno about that. I moved back to chicago last fall so didn't watch SJ nearly as much this season. Just assumed that you were referring to the way he looked against us in the playoffs. My b.

This is not confirmed, but was stated in an Athletic article. I'm not sure if it was all year or just the playoffs though. Either way a good sign.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad