Confirmed with Link: Avs sign F Joonas Donskoi ($3.9m AAV x 4y)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don’t think Sakic and Co view him as a rum dum depth guy though.
That's a problem,.. I really hope they don't see Donskoi as their second line RW, because if our second line to start the season is Burakovsky-Jost-Donskoi that just isn't good enough. You're probably right though... :help:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That's a problem,.. I really hope they don't see Donskoi as their second line RW, because if our second line to start the season is Burakovsky-Jost-Donskoi that just isn't good enough. You're probably right though... :help:

Well we can't go over four years on anyone since in 4 years MacK will be making 20M/yr. That was clearly what mattered today.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA

Donskoi was the Sharks' 2nd line RW for a good amount of time. With Meier/Kane and Hertl, he was a perfect 3rd player to keep the puck in the zone, and put in a few points. He's also a good skater and solid defensively. That being said, I'd worry if that was my second line, as well. He's a 3rd best player on a 2nd line type player.

He joined the DeBoer doghouse, and once you get in his doghouse, you can't get out. Most intelligent fans were confused why he was treated the way he was, so hopefully he'll get a fair shot with you guys.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Donskoi was the Sharks' 2nd line RW for a good amount of time. With Meier/Kane and Hertl, he was a perfect 3rd player to keep the puck in the zone, and put in a few points. He's also a good skater and solid defensively. That being said, I'd worry if that was my second line, as well. He's a 3rd best player on a 2nd line type player.

This might be a little hopeful, but I'm wondering if he could play the checking role on MacK & Mikko's line. Which would allow Landeskog to lead the second line. Landeskog sort of plays the center role in the defensive zone, and even takes FOs lol. When he played with Jost it was pretty much the best Jost has looked outside of the last couple of playoff games.

Everyone else we move up there either can't produce against better competition, or sucks defensively. Which isn't going to change going from Kerfoot to trying Burakovsky there.

Reactions: Richard88

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
This might be a little hopeful, but I'm wondering if he could play the checking role on MacK & Mikko's line. Which would allow Landeskog to lead the second line. Landeskog sort of plays the center role in the defensive zone, and even takes FOs lol. When he played with Jost it was pretty much the best Jost has looked outside of the last couple of playoff games.

Everyone else we move up there either can't produce against better competition, or sucks defensively. Which isn't going to change going from Kerfoot to trying Burakovsky there.

He's not a physical player. He's skilled with the puck, has a very meh shot, and can get knocked off of the puck easily. He does his best work when he has room to maneuver.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He's not a physical player. He's skilled with the puck, has a very meh shot, and can get knocked off of the puck easily. He does his best work when he has room to maneuver.

I'm talking about for-checking and defense more than physicality.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is where I start to have issues with the Avs summer to this point. And look, dont get me wrong I like Donskoi a lot and advocated for signing him a couple of months ago during our discussions about adding more Right shots to the Top 9. He's a great player and as was already pointed out he's a possession beast and very responsible all around guy...

But he's not a Top 6 player. And we really, really need Top 6 players. At this point our roster honestly looks close to complete. We have the big 3, and then we have Donskoi, Burakovsky, Wilson, Jost, Nieto, Bellemare, and Calvert all signed(Well I'm assuming they sign Burakovsky anyway).

That's 10 guys and JTC/Kerfoot will make 12.

And of those 12 guys... Excluding the big 3 we have exactly 1 additional, legit Top 6 forwards on the team, and that one is an iffy at best Top 6 forward(Kerfoot). So once again we appear to be heading into the 2019/20 season with the hopes that completely unproven guys can step up and become Top 6 scoring threats when all of them have now had multiple seasons in the NHL now and failed to show anything that would suggest they become quality Top 6 forwards next season.

In a year where we had all kinds of cap space relative to other good teams. Coming off a 2nd round playoff appearance that was perhaps one bad call away from the Conference finals...

Instead we're going to still have 15M+ in cap space after we sign our RFAs and will once again struggle to make the playoffs and likely fight for another wildcard spot and another difficult first round matchup.

Hopefully one of Kerfoot/Compher/Jost are being used in trade talks right now to bring in a legit 2C like Kadri from Toronto, or at least a legit 2nd line winger like Kreider from the Rangers.

I mean hell at this point I would even take a flyer on Turris. I think he can bounce back with a fresh start and provide 50 points from the 2C spot on this team and given the Duchene signing and Turris struggling last year he probably costs almost nothing to get.

I just dont see where the Avs get a 2nd line out of the players we have right now. And even with our Defense looking extremely strong and our top line being the Top line as they always are... I dont see this team as more than a wildcard fighter in its current make up. Not unless something very unexpected happens. It probably takes Jost becoming a 50+ point 2C for us next season to have a legit chance at home ice advantage in the first round. And I dont think that happens.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
My take is the Avs will start with their prospects/suspects on the 2nd line. Mid-season they will re-eval and if the kids on the blueline are stepping up they trade Barrie for whatever they think they need (i.e. second line scoring probably).

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
LOL, the trade was posted here 4 minutes prior to my post. It probably took me that long to read this entire thread.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
This definitely feels like a major upside signing.

I posted this a couple days ago, but Donskoi saw very little power play time (0:36) in San Jose. By comparison, Tyson Jost saw (2:04) with the Avalanche. Even Sven Andrighetto (1:16) had more.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I loved this signing, until I saw the Nyqvist one and that sort of downgraded ours to a very solid one. I am still a big fan of Donskoi, I suggest he has more offensive flair than what he showed in San Jose. Additionally, I like him a bit more than to call him an inconsistent player, but I won't argue to the posters who say he's that type. Of course Nyqvist should outscore him, but when Joonas isn't scoring he provides more off the puck like a very responsible defensive game. On the other hand Nyqvist is invisible when he isn't scoring because he doesn't have the puck protection skills or two-way game as Donskoi. I don't think Joonas is a top 6 player, but he's one who can play up and down the line up and look passable. Personal opinion, but I much rather have him on the second line than Burakovsky until otherwise noted. Extra year is probably the worst thing about this deal, but like Cole it is something you can live with.

Last edited:

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I like him. He'll have that ability to move through the lineup and hopefully build chemistry with a particular set of players

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
He scored a pretty brutal goal against us in Game 7 this year. This guy made an impact most times when he was on the ice against us in the playoffs as well. I see good speed, a decent shot, and the desire to get to the net that Kerfoot certainly lacked. This guy could pair so well with Compher in their North/South style. I dig how much more tenacity and toughness this team has gotten this offseason thus far.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He scored a pretty brutal goal against us in Game 7 this year. This guy made an impact most times when he was on the ice against us in the playoffs as well. I see good speed, a decent shot, and the desire to get to the net that Kerfoot certainly lacked. This guy could pair so well with Compher in their North/South style. I dig how much more tenacity and toughness this team has gotten this offseason thus far.

That was also his first goal since Jan 7th IIRC.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I love it. He was my #2 free agent choice behind Panarin, and I'm glad Sakic agreed with me.

All the people talking about his goal totals can go f*** themselves. The guy does everything you want a hockey player to do on the ice when he's not scoring. I'm looking forward to watching him on our team. Remember when a lot of people were upset with the Calvert signing? Those people changed their tune in the playoffs. I think the same thing will happen with Donskoi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad