Confirmed with Link: Avs Sign Dominic Toninato to ELC

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
They have 13 forwards without him, but if there's an injury, or trade, or they want to do 14 forwards and 7 D, he'll be a good be for a spot. He's 23 so at worst, they won't worry about development, and they can keep him around as a 13th forward.

A lot will depend on how and where they play Jost/Compher/Soda. If they're all at center, and Soda is on the 4th line, then Toninato will either be a scratch or play wing.

If there's an opening as 4th center, then there aren't a lot of other obvious options. He'll be competing with Beaudin, Grimaldi, and Nantel for a spot. Beaudin is 20 and a first year pro who they likely want to start in the AHL regardless, and Grimaldi who's not a great fit on a 4th line anyway.

Nantel is probably his biggest competition. He's got one year pro under his belt, but he's still only 21, and they won't want him sitting around as a healthy scratch. If it's close, and both look fairly ready, the edge will go to Toninato.

Nantel is not even close to NHL ready, if he ever will be. He has a lot further to go than Toninato.

Beaudin is his biggest competition for his style and role but Toninato probably gets the first look due to being older and Avs' property for less time plus maybe some handshake promises to get him to sign.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nantel is not even close to NHL ready, if he ever will be. He has a lot further to go than Toninato.

Beaudin is his biggest competition for his style and role but Toninato probably gets the first look due to being older and Avs' property for less time plus maybe some handshake promises to get him to sign.

I don't think they'll start Beaudin in the NHL out of camp, even if he outplays Nantel and Toninato. He's only 20 and a first year pro. They don't want him getting 4th line minutes, or sitting in the stands. That's why he's not Toninato's biggest competition.

You're underrating Nantel's chances IMO. If you can skate, and play defense, you can get a look in the NHL on the 4th line if there are openings, and not a lot of competition. After that you have to do more to stick in the NHL.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's probably Girard and Vogelhuber is Toninato's competition for a callup. I agree at 20 and a legit prospect they should have an actual plan for Beaudin's development so it's not about beating guys out. Nantel we can argue about if they see any use for him or not but I guess he's in the mix somehow.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's probably Girard and Vogelhuber is Toninato's competition for a callup. I agree at 20 and a legit prospect they should have an actual plan for Beaudin's development so it's not about beating guys out. Nantel we can argue about if they see any use for him or not but I guess he's in the mix somehow.

They're definitely in that group of competition I agree, and maybe they carve out a spot, but if they do it will be because Toninato, and Nantel didn't have good pre-seasons.

Girard is about to be a 4th year pro and has 0 NHL games under his belt. Vogelhuber is 29 and has 0 NHL games as well. They're not first or second option NHLers unfortunately. They're fallback options.

As far as Nantel goes, the bar is just lower for him and his style to surprise and find his way into a spot, than it is for a top 6 prospect, or even a guy like Beaudin who has a higher upside. They will nurture that talent if they can. 4th line types, they just have to play their role well, and a lot of that is just being a "safe" option and falling into the coach's graces because he knows what he's gonna get in them. I'm not saying Nantel will make the team, but that requirement is within his wheelhouse.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The reason I keep mentioning Girard and Vogelhuber is these are the types of guys they call up. Plus each of them has an advocate. Vogelhuber was Bednar's rock in LE, Girard is one of Veilleux's favorites from the Q. Toninato got some promise too I'm sure.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Side note, Cap Friendly originally had Chambers $800k NHL and $70k AHL salary listed for Toninato with an unverified classification next to it.

They've since taken off that unverified classification, and in both years he's listed with a $925k AAV ($832,500 base and $92,500 signing bonus) in the NHL and $70k in AHL.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/dominic-toninato

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think G. Bourque is better than all of these potential call-ups getting brought up in this thread.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think G. Bourque is better than all of these potential call-ups getting brought up in this thread.

I think G Bourque kinda got screwed last year. Unfortunately, Bednar doesn't seem to like him which is a shame because he's an NHL winger IMO if he's healthy.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I would love to find a way to sell Comeau or Colborne for a song and play G. Bourque instead. He's a good 4th liner.

I would also be pretty surprised if Kerfoot signed here now. Not that we couldn't use him, and he's a very different player from Toninato, but now that he's signed I think Kerfoot has a little bit longer path to the NHL, I doubt he would be content just being an AHL top 6 C.

Last edited:

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Many Leafs fans thought he'd make a good 4C in the not so distant future. Defensively responsible, skates well and can score. He'll likely need to play out the ELC in the AHL though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->