Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Czech goalie Pavel Francouz (1 year)

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
Yeah, kind of funny that people still expect Bernier back. He's gone, absolutely.

To me, there is no doubt Bernier will look elsewhere and most likely find a better offer, but that does not mean the Avs are not in the running if no other team offers him a chance at a starting job.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
To me, there is no doubt Bernier will look elsewhere and most likely find a better offer, but that does not mean the Avs are not in the running if no other team offers him a chance at a starting job.

I don't think Bernier expects a starter job somewhere. I think he wants a situation like he had with the Avs last year. An opening for the backup job, and no real competition for it. He's got competition now with the Avs.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I wouldn’t at all be surprised if Bernier returned. He shouldn’t be scared of some khl goalie with no nhl experience. The only thing Bernier needs to worry about is getting more concussions.

From my perspective as a fan Bernier seemed very happy in Denver and in the avalanche locker room. The group seemed really tight. I even saw on his Instagram page a few days ago a post of him proudly wearing his avalanche uniform. He just seemed happy last year, which was rarely his outlook with teams prior... Idk just my opinion

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Just hitting on the Bernier thing I could see him coming back but we won't be on the top of his list. The teams on top of his list are teams where the starting goalie is weak. I could easily see Bernier in Carolina or with the Islanders. Bernier could even end up in Dallas because as much as we complain about Varly's injuries Bishop isn't any better.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, kind of funny that people still expect Bernier back. He's gone, absolutely.

Absolutely? I don't think so. If he gets an offer to be a starter or a 1B, sure, but if all the options are being a backup, I don't see why he wouldn't re-sign here - especially since Varly often gets injured and his contract expires next season. As I said earlier, I think Francouz is plan B in case Bernier leaves, but it doesn't prove he definitely leaving.

As for Toronto, I would be honestly surprised if they didn't find a way to keep both Sparks and Pickard. And in terms of a trade, I totally agree with McMetal that McElhinny would be actually cheaper than either young guy.

Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Shameless fantasy question - is this dude projected to be your starter anytime soon? He seems like he could be pretty damn good.

Please don't hurt me I'm not old enough to remember the rivalry :)

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Shameless fantasy question - is this dude projected to be your starter anytime soon? He seems like he could be pretty damn good.

A lot could happen with the goalie situation right now. I don't think the front office knows what's going to happen.

It's super weird now when some posters here are like "f*** the Dead Things, wish they brought back Mike Haynes for this one". Uh, why dude? 'cause of Justin Abdelkader and Mike Green, those SOBs? :D

Reactions: mantha39

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

tumblr_inline_n7fr8gVjwC1r5l1wo.jpg

One would imagine that at some point he needs to get a run at the job so we can find out what he can do as an NHL-starter, especially if we want to be able to convince him to come back. I doubt he left the big money he was being offered in the KHL, to be an NHL backup or AHL starter for more than a year. I don't know how to assess goalie talent / technique, so if you want a more technical breakdown I'd recommend searching @Gigantor The Goalie 's posts for what he has had to say about Francouz.

But from a contractual / roster-shaping perspective, one would imagine that Frank will get a run as the guy at some point...especially with Grubauer failing to prove that he can be more than 1b thus far & Varlamov's continued inconsistency / health problems.
A lot could happen with the goalie situation right now. I don't think the front office knows what's going to happen.

It's super weird now when some posters here are like "**** the Dead Things, wish they brought back Mike Haynes for this one". Uh, why dude? 'cause of Justin Abdelkader and Mike Green, those SOBs? :D

If I didn't live in Chicago with so many friends who became hawks fans before Detroit ran east, I don't think I'd still have fun pretending to care about the rivalry. But yeah, the people who still actually take it seriously are weird.

Reactions: mantha39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->